Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Rheostat

Has anyone installed a rheostat for the dinette lights? We find them too bright at night. If so, could you share the procedure?

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-18 09.44.12.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	187595  
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Are those LED lights? If so contact the mfg. to see if they're dimmable. If they are, you can install a compatible dimmer for them. If they're not you can replace them with something that's either less lumens or a dimmable model and then install a dimmer.

You don't mention the model of the RV so I don't know exactly which lights you have.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Looks very similar to our 2012 Solera. Ours came with halogen bulbs. I replaced the halogens with retrofit resistor driven led bulbs. That dropped the current draw of the bulbs from about 1 amp per bulb (2 amps for the two dinette lights) to about 0.2 amps for both lights. I then replaced the switch with a double throw, center off switch. I wired one throw direct to the lights, the other through a resistor I chose by “bench testing” my led retrofit bulbs to give a satisfactory “dim” setting. Sized the resistor power rating so it would not heat up in continuous use (note the low current of the led bulbs). Switch gives bright, center off, and dim. Works great. I ended up doing the same with the bathroom light (avoid waking spouse on nighttime trips) and the lights over the bed.

Of note, a resistor dimmer like I use has only two brightness settings (dim and bright) and dissipates a small amount of power in the resistor. An electronic led dimmer has wide brightness control and should be slightly more efficient. On the plus side, a resistive dimmer generates no RF noise (radio or TV interference potential). An electronic dimmer switches the leds “on” and “off” at a rapid pace - well faster than the eye can perceive - and adjusts brightness by varying the “on” time. This rapid switching of the power to the leds can result in the above mentioned RF noise.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You don't mention the model of the RV so I don't know exactly which lights you have.
BR ~ thanks for pointing out model wasn't mentioned. It used to be included on my signature line; not sure when or why it dropped off, but I will add it back in for my 2015 Solera 24R
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #5

Rheostat

I’ve installed this dimmer switch on a few lights in my rig. Works perfect just a bit pricey.
https://www.camperid.com/diamond-gro...oaAuQ0EALw_wcB