Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Rustproofing

We live in the north... Here we xget snow early and often and use lots of salt to keep the roads passable. I asked our dealer if he suggested rustproofing (coating the undercarriage with an oil product) was suggested. He affirmed that 90% of their customers applied the stuff to their new motorhomes! What is the experience of those in the "rust belt"? I dont mind spending the money but dont want to mess up the underside of my rig if there is no need. Thanks.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

We are in the rust belt as well.I wont pull the new 315 trailer in the winter salt so the trailer isnt a problem in that regard,but the cheesy powdercoating job allows them to rust in the summer.I have several trailers,the above mentioned toy hauler,equipment trailer,horse trailers , all aluminum enclosed sled trailer............. All were bought new and never even used in the rain untill they got a coating of bed liner everywhere undernieth. The new 315wp will get the same,right now its sleeping just outside the carport! I did the same with my TV except I pulled the interior and did the whole inside,in the doors,everywhere, then the entire underside. Its a 2000 f 250 SD 7.3 with 195000 on it and I use it as a plow truck in the winter(on our property). It has no rust thrus . On the 315wp I will do everything I can see,includeing the entrance steps,neck and pin box. Oil is a mess and collects dirt.Asphalt is really old school and will stone/impact chip and then peel and rust just like the powdercoat unless you keep after it.Just my oppinion and experience.

edit) I will probably pull the floor carpet in the basement and do that whole area too since its all bare wood and is the bedroom/bathroom floor,then stick pre-fit 2" blue foam board to the walls and ceiling,tapeing the joints,then replace the carpet.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

I didn't do anything to my Cherokee 5th wheel. Thinking the powder coat would be OK for all the winter driving I do. (Jan/Feb southbound and Mar/Apr northbound). Was I wrong, the powder coat lifted off last year in long strips.

I used Canadian Tire - Corrosion Free on my Subaru once and when I sold it 11 years and 250,000 km later, I had only a small patch of rust about 1"x 2" on the rear fender. If I had gone back for the periodic inspection I doubt I would have had any rust. So I can endorse Corrosion Free.

Next summer project is descale the undersides of the fiver, paint it and then corrosion free it.

I live in Nova Scotia.
halliday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof