Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
2012 Solera

slide out issues

Anyone else experience failure of the slide out motor mount welds? When we test drove, the slide out did not go in without help (pushing) by the salesman. He said the battery was low. At pickup the slideout worked - slowly and with creeks and groans. Tech said "normal ", needs lube. I bought the lube he said it needed, had him apply - somewhat better but still slow and noisy. He said "good ". About five open and shut cycles later - in a National Park with no connectivity or cell service - the motor mount welds broke and the motor ripped the screw holes out on the forward shaft - the motor ended resting on a plastic cover for a propane regulator.
Was able to tie the motor mount back to the frame with a hose clamp, hammer the screw holes in the forward shaft back somewhat into shape, and connect it with washers - and continue on our trip.
While traveling in Oregon we met a woman driving another 2012 Solera. She came over to alert us that while they liked the RV overall, their slide out had failed - motor mount broke off - 30 hours of dealer time to fix - still not right after several "in and out " (I assume from the dealer) .
Anyone else experiencing? Any solution?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I assume you mean one not involving jail time after some "face time" with your dealer?

A new 2012 Solera should not have the slide motor "grinding and groaning" trying to open and close a new slide. The dealer's "Tech" should have alerted the dealership there was a problem during acceptance.

If there was a rash of this problem, it could have been due to errors made by a poorly trained employee during frame/slide mechanism assembly.

In any case, this is a warranty claim and I would call FR for a certified repair facility (obviously your dealer would not be my first choice). There is a Solera Rep here as a member. I will track down his user name.

Here is is: jamiller45 - you can try a PM to see if he can help you.
Let us know how it turns out...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

I have had a few problems with mine like bolts breaking on the drive linkage, slide out dropping down and shifting to the rear of the camper, screws coming loose and tearing the matrial under the slide out on the out side and travel limit rods coming apart which would not allow the slide out to open all the way, but never had the welds break on the mounting supports for the motor....I guess that would have been next......other then the slide out falling out and hitting the ground.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Which model? 24S or 24M?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
2012 Solera

Model is 24S.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #6

I just returned from my first outing with a 2013 Solera S, Everything seems to be working fine only gone for 3 days, the slide did want to hang up when I went to stow it. The slide would stop and I'd release the button and restart a couple of times untill it got over the level floor then it came right in without any issues. Starting a longer trip next week hopefully we won't have any problems.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Which model? 24S or 24M?
do 24s and 24m use different slide mechanisms..?

ie. lippert schwintek versus old style lippert slide
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Commercial Member

24S uses an underfloor Lippert. 24M uses the Lippert In-wall, schwintec.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Model is 24S.

bclemens says 24s uses the old style slideout. I would go to youtube and watch the videos about this and fixes
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Sounds like your slide is moving "with difficulty". I hope you don't suffer the weld failure issue as a result. You might want to check the motor position when the slide is fully open and again when it is fully closed. I suspect my motor was bending the mount when traversing from full in to full out and reverse. Bend metal back and forth enough times and it will break (in my case, about five cycles after I picked up the new unit from the dealer). The motor assembly is viewable through the propane door - it is positioned above the white plastic cover for a propane regulator to the right of center in the compartment. (After the welds failed, I found my motor assembly resting on this white plastic regulator cover.)
Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Thanks for the info I'll check that out.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

I checked the slide today and found a couple of lose nuts on the frame but everything else looked ok at less for now.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
2018 FR3 30DS

hkreck

In an older post regarding the slideout on Soleras (and maybe other FR products), BCClements (of FR) said that there are two bolts on the fixed portion that can be moved to adjust how close or how far the slide is from the main body when closing it. I cannot remember when he posted this but maybe he will read this post and advise again...

Looking for BCClements....

2011 Solera
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #14

Thanks I'll keep a weather eye for it.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Commercial Member

If you pull the white panel below the slide there are a few adjustments. We recommend that the dealer adjusts those. Personally, I like to tinker with stuff myself...but if I break it...well...it's my own fault, but I hate waiting for repair people if I think I can power through it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
2012 Solera

I just received my Solera back with the bracket re-welded to the frame. Slide out seems to work significantly better than when it was new. I had the work done at a local RV repair and parts shop - Ideal RV in Redwood City CA - they seem competent. The welding work looks solid to me. I brought the vehicle to them on Monday; they returned it repaired on Thursday. I will use them again rather than drive 120 miles to the dealer (who did not fix it properly originally).
Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have them checking everything to make sure there is a full weld and not 2 smaller ones.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #18

I've been on the road for two weeks now had the slide been out every night. I found that it wanted to stick after a rain but if I bumped it up over the floor to start it worked better than trying to hold the button in and force it up into place. I've checked the welds and everything appears to be fine. will be out for another week to 10 days so will continue to check on things.

Tags
led pad, solera, slide out