Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

Slide Roller replacement

Couch Slide jammed on my recent travels. Left side wouldn't move while the right side did. It appeared to be stuck or jammed. I didn't try too hard while out and about. Got home and tried again. I jockeyed the slide in and out with the power switch and it started out. So I ran it full out. Looking around inside and out to look for obstructions. Discovered outside that one of the rollers had dislodged under the side that was stuck. The roller itself seems to be free rolling, but the bracket screws pulled out of the wood. I have posted pictures to show its condition.
Two of the pictures show the view from each side where the screws are dislodged. The other picture shows the area under the slide floor where the roller contacts that surface. I suspect that the roller carries the weight of the slide on that side. The other roller looks okay although one screw seems loose.
My question is -- has anyone tackled replacement of these rollers. Clearance appears to be of major significance getting screws remounted through a new roller. Also, might it be wise to move the roller over an inch or two to get new wood to drive the screws into.
I have two other rollers on the bed slide in the back.
I've read here that others have jacked up the slide to gain an inch or so of clearance. Even at that I am scratching my head about how to drive new screws into the base wood and what tool is required.
I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	147298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	147299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	147300  

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

I would try epoxying (5 minute epoxy) round tooth picks in and around the inside of screw holes and then drive the screw in with a 1/4 inch ratchet and roberts tip. Actually a strong repair.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #3

A couple of thoughts...

Mike's suggestions for repairing the screw holes, and driving the screws without needing access from directly above, seem like they might work.

It seems like you'll still need to raise the slideout some, if only to gain enough clearance to rotate the roller back into it's proper position.

In addition to redoing the screws, I might consider epoxying the whole roller carrying plate to the wood.

Finally, and more importantly, I'd be very concerned about how this happened in the first place. There really shouldn't be much horizontal force on that roller assembly...so why did it tip over and pull the screws out? I'd worry that simply reinstalling the roller would leave an underlying issue and more problems down the road.

Were it my situation I'd think hard about taking it to a VERY competent dealer/repair place (do those exist?) or back to the factory...

Dave
Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

If I were doing my own repair I would also check to ensure the roller was turning freely in the bracket. Seized roller will put undue stress on the bracket.

I prefer to do much of my own repairs rather than leave my unit at a dealer for weeks an get maybe a sat. repair.

Like Dave mentioned , determine the root cause of the failure before doing anything.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

Do a search

There are previous posts about this issue and I seem to recall an answer by Mr. Clemens on the failure mode and repair.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Any way to get to the backside of the screw holes and use bolts and nuts (with washers)? Would be much stronger and would only require an open end or box wrench on top.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

I had a similar issue on my s slide
(2013). Turned out it was a screw that fell out of the shaft by the motor. One side the screw was still there , other side screw fell off so slide would come in at an angle.
Mine was a bear to get to, by the propane tank, but now works great
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #8

Thanks, Mikegjax, for your tips. I found the screwdriver you mention. Agreed the epoxy would add strength to that type repair. I'll post how the repair came out.

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

Thanks guys for your thoughts and ideas. I'll be investigating to see if I can figure out why the roller bracket caught on the underside of the slide and jammed against it to tilt it as shown. I see an extra screw behind the bracket which may have caused it to lean higher against the bottom of the slide. Couldn't guess as to how it got there, except the couch was removed to replace the flooring (by FR factory a year ago). Perhaps the screw got dropped there and eventually worked its way toward the jam. I can see the line where the back of the metal bracket jammed.
Looks like jacking it up a bit, remove the roller assembly (roller rotates freely), and remount. I'll post pictures and narrative on the results. Again, thanks for your help.
Rich

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 08-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #10

Were you able to complete the repair.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #11

I'm following this thread also. My slide won't come in right now. Motor works, but the slide is coming in at an angle and binding on the side behind the driver. 2014 Solera 24S. Any videos you know of or written instructions would be appreciated.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Solera "S" Slide out

Charlene - I don't know what mechanism Forest River used in the "R" model, but in the "S" I believe this link leads to a manual:
https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/manual...Manual-Web.pdf
I suspect you have the same slideout mechanism in your 2014 that we have in our 2012.

From that manual, this drawing shows the mechanics of this slideout. Note there is one motor (#6 in the drawing) which drives both sides of the slideout through shafts (#5 in the drawing). The "outer drive shafts" (#5, one to each side) are attached to the "inner drive shafts" (#3) with a bolt. If the bolt shears, falls out, or the hole it goes through in the outer drive shaft wears out, that side will not be driven - resulting in one side moving and the other side not moving. (Note the outer drive shafts are square; the inner drive shafts are round.)

While other causes could well result in your problem, a failure in these shafts and/or their interconnects is, I believe, a likely cause. This mechanism is visible through the propane door (above the regulator, pipes and gauges); from under the slideout if it is open, and through the top of the adjacent storage compartments.

Good Luck -
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LippertSlideout.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	149465  
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #13

Jim, you might be right! Is there supposed to be a bolt holding the two shafts together in the attached photo (circled in purple)?Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2017-08-24-14-42-27.png
Views:	134
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	149473
Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
2012 Solera

Yes - that is the spot. Bolt is missing. As I remember, a 1/4 inch bolt about an inch and a quarter long with a locking nut worked. Need to rotate driven shaft to equal out the two sides of the slideout and align the holes.
Good Luck -
Jim
Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #15

You're a lifesaver!! I'm parked at a friend's. The rv technicians I've called are busy.

One question. You say to "equal out the two sides." I can rotate the inner tube just a little to align the two holes. Do I need to do more rotations to get the two sides equal? How will I know when they're equal? I don't want to do something which would harm the slide out. (Right now, the slide is out.)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
2012 Solera

Charlene - What I meant was to get the front and back of the slideout the same distance out - that is, not cocked or "at an angle" as you mentioned in your post. If both sides are fully out, I'd call it good, put a bolt in, and try it - I believe it will work. If the slideout front or back is too far in or out, just push the "out" end of the slideout in to match, then put the bolt in.
Good Luck - I think you are almost there,
Jim
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #17

Jim -- The slide is fixed! Thank you for all your help!! You have no idea how thankful I am for your guidance.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
2012 Solera

Great! Glad to hear it worked out.
Jim
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #19

I got the roller out and it was rolling freely. The screws were easy enough to remove with the tool. I was not able to re-install due to such little clearance and no reasonable concept of driving the screws down with little clearance and no leverage. Stumped, I'll take it to a local RV dealer who has done decent repairs for me in the past. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they have tackled such in their past. A couple of their repair guys have many years of experience.

Solera 24R - 2014

Tags
replacement, slide