Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

So I test drove a "W" the other day...

...since this is the unit we were truly considering.
My local dealer finally got one.
I was not really impressed.
I have driven my friends 2014 Coachman Prism Sprinter and was really impressed with his.
This "W" unit is new and had the Hellwig installed.
I could feel the Hellwig leaving the dealership steep driveway.
The unit just seemed too large for its chassis, noisy, creaks and groans from the overhead bed, spongy brakes and power did not appear that good.
Now I am basing this on my prior test drive of the Coachman.
The Coachman drove much better- brakes similar...IMO
Maybe I was just being too critical of the "W" but my wife had the same feelings as I did.

I am going to wait for the Ford 2430 (E450) to show up and test drive.
I like to tow a considerable amount although usually under 4k.
I like overkill and not driving around at or above the weight limits.
I am also going to drive a 2251 Chevy.

I will make my decision then and order.

Another thing...the check engine light was on the Sprinter.
Mercedes electronics gives me the heeby geebies.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Class C Representative

There is absolutely no difference in the chassis between a "W" and a prism other than we offer the highly sought after Hellwig Sway bar. The Mercedes chassis can tow up to 4200LBs and the full wall slide on the Ford can tow up to 7500 Lbs.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

I am very aware of the Sprinter chassis.
The feel of both coaches was different. (W and the Prism- the Prism was a "C" also)
Nothing like real world seat of your pants driving.

I am an insurance inspector and look at vehicles engineering all the time.
Have driven bobtails, motorhomes , campers and trailers.
Towed lots. Raced trucks, m/c's in the dez.
I like overkill.
Sprinter feels like underkill for the box size, weight and tow capacity.
10k curb weight with an 11k max means many folks out there are overloaded.

I will withhold final judgement until I drive all 3- MBS (again) , Ford and Chevy.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

Check the quality of each Motor Home. The last time I looked at a Prism (A few years back) had plastic windows instead of real glass. Put a "Pencil" to each with costs included-"Good Luck" in your search.
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Class C Representative

That's awesome. I have some friends that ride some races out West. I'll message you my number in case you have any questions.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

What I keep hearing over and over in this MB sprinter is the spongy brakes. From what I can tell, it seemed to pop up after the sprinter re-design in '14. Some members reported that MB addressed the braking issue when taken in under warranty. It just seems odd to me that the small subset of owners here in this thread, and a test drivers' reporting, are expierencing the same thing.

I don't recall any mention of that concern in the chassis, prior to the '14 re-design, in this forum at least. The normal course on these events, when presented in sufficient quantity, usually triggers a deeper review into the cause. Then, and only then, does a mfg., in this case MB, look into the complaints by owners.

I suspect however, that under normal non-MH load conditions, (i.e. sprinter vans 2500, 3500's) the "spongy" feeling is not observed, (due to much lower loads ) which seems not the case by some posters here. That in turn, falls below the radar, due to frequency of reported events over total production runs (approx. 25k +total US sprinter sales). Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

I checked out the Prism while shopping for mine.

Nice rig. Cons were a 3500 lb hitch and less storage than my 24R. Their 24G has half of the cargo storage of the 24R, with the same floor plan.

Pluses were that it does have a larger LP tank. Also the optional outdoor entertainment center is very nice. (Still trying to figure out why the Solera does not even have outdoor speakers but my FR Rpod did?)

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Class C Representative

We now put outdoor speakers standard on everything. They are two 6" speakers by the awning.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

I have 2200+ miles on my W. Yes, you know there's a big box behind you, but it does not feel unstable. It's not a sport sedan, but it rides nice and corners OK for what it is. The front seats are all manual, but you can adjust them in so many ways. Yes, there are some creaks in the coach, but nothing I would consider excessive. Power is sufficient to get up to highway speed in a reasonable time. Cruising at 65 is awesome. That little diesel and the 5 speed work really well together. I have not had any issues with warning lights or brakes. The brakes are power assist and I have not noticed that they feel too spongy. I've always been able to stop as quickly as I wanted to.

The outdoor speakers are awesome, too. They were a pleasant surprise as I didn't realize they would be there when I ordered it. It's really nice to put on Sirius while grilling or eating dinner outside.

I like having so many storage compartments rather than one or two big ones. It allows me to sort stuff by purpose and makes it easier to find and get at what I want. The long one right behind the driver's door holds my golf clubs just fine.

Different strokes for different folks. We really like the W floor plan.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

Pod2Vibe states" Their 24G has half of the cargo storage of the 24R, with the same floor plan." Not true. The 24G has a rear slide out which turns into a very comfortable walk around queen bed. The J has a double bed stuck in a corner. I'm sure the cargo capacity is less in a G, but not 1/2 the J. Everything in RV's is a trade off.
We use our G for two months at a time, no problem with storage (although we do have to put some stuff in the back of our Honda Fit toad).
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

Love our 2014 24R and am happy with how it handles and drives. Do hear a few rattles and squeaks but have never been in a motor home that does not have this problem. Wish ours had outdoors speakers and have been thinking about trying to add them but not sure how that will work out. The Mercedes platform seems to handle the 24R just fine and brakes seem to work well. Have had several CEL and am going into Freightliner this week to have checked.
Happy so Far
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

Badbob, report back on your CEL's would you. Always nice to reference something if others get similar CEL codes, and know how they were dealt with. Thanks.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Pod2Vibe states" Their 24G has half of the cargo storage of the 24R, with the same floor plan." Not true. The 24G has a rear slide out which turns into a very comfortable walk around queen bed. The J has a double bed stuck in a corner. I'm sure the cargo capacity is less in a G, but not 1/2 the J. Everything in RV's is a trade off.
We use our G for two months at a time, no problem with storage (although we do have to put some stuff in the back of our Honda Fit toad).
OK?

The Solera 24R floor plan has the same rear slide with the walk around queen bed and has 75 cu. ft. of exterior storage.

The Coachmen 24G has 41 cu. ft. of exterior storage.

I was not referring to a "J" so not sure about that but the Coachmen 24J has 42 cu. ft.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #14

Getting up to 65 on the freeway seemed adequate.
Freeway cruising seemed nice also (I think they had the tires inflated to the max also).
Handled the 15mph headwinds ok- just a little wind noise and buffeting.

I just think I need something a little more heavy duty.
If I do need to tow 6k- I like to know it's there.

Absolutely love the floorplan.
FR is doing an awesome job there.

One thing I forgot to mention- they screwed up on in production-(or the delivery driver hit something and shoved it upward) the tailpipe was up against the MH body on the passenger side. The rubber hanger was pulling it up tight to the box and rubbing against it.
That can and does make for some noise and vibrations in the coach body.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

If you want to tow 6k- I would not even consider the MBZ. Handles my 4100lb Equinox but is all I want on the back. Am looking at a Smart car as a dingy as only two of us most of the time. Will pull the Equinox when I have grandkids along and need a dingy. For most trips I go without a dingy.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #16

Total Loss,It sounds like you enjoy the big, strong, powerful RVs. If you like the overkill then MBS is probably not powerful enough. I've been driving a diesel pusher for 11 years and ready to lighten up the HP and leave the 7-8 mpg behind. I think FR has a fine unit and I am waiting to test drive the new W when one reaches CA.
gary ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #17

I am one month into owning a new 24W. The power is not excessive but neither is the gasoline use. I like that. I tow a Honda CRV, 4200 pounds, with no problem. I did install an RVi brake system. Love the W version with the amazing space in the middle of the coach after the huge slide goes out. I have owned class A's, fifth wheels and trailers and this combo of space, decent MPG, fairly quiet (very quiet compared to my Ford 450 Moho I sold) and tons of outside storage for this size, almost as much as my 32 foot Jayco Moho had, works great for us.
But for the OP in this thread, sounds like you need a bigger rig than the Solera 24 for towing. Good luck in your search but do not go conservative with tow capacity. Even with the Ford 450, towing a Jeep Wrangler was a challenge on hills heading from Oregon to AZ.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #18

Update...

I am out.
I purchased a 2016 2251 LE Chevy.
I wanted to get a Chevy before they ran out here locally.
Paid 30k less than the "W".
Drives tight.
Chassis is MUCH heavier duty- what I like.
See you down the road.
Good luck.