Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Solara - Which model to choose

We're seriously thinking of puchasing a Solara this year but we're having problems deciding on which model to choose. I'm leaning toward the 24S since it has a permanent bed in back but I would appreciate hearing from Solara owners on which model they chose and why.

I'm a little concerned about the other models where you have to convert the sofa into a bed or fold out a bed in the slider in back due to comfort and convenience. Since room is at a premium, is there one model better than another?

Keith
Keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #2

We went with the S model , on the bed issue we liked that we could stop at rest stops , truck stops and such to catch a few hours sleep and not have to worry about the slide out. We have grand kids that will travel with us and we can use the table / bed for them and still not have to use the slide. We have the bed above the cab also, didn't want the fancy entertainment center, so we have storage there along with a 3rd bed option. We've had ours 3 years and love it. Sometimes would have liked a Class A or bigger Class C cause we pull a Jeep Wrangler and are pushing the limit, but have a great tow bar (Blue Ox) along with the Blue Ox braking system and I feel comfortable with it. We don't drive fast, and we've gone though Colorado passes, if it starts struggling we unhook and drive both.
Love the mpg and the torque of the Solera, it handles city traffic and parking well along with getting into campsites. My wife drives it and isn't intimidated by it. Add the sway bar like a lot of others on here and it even handles the Oklahoma wind blowing down the plains!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393994003.674383.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	47186
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

We also have the S model but that's because the R was not available at the time we were buying. We find the bed a bit tight with the wife , me, and our two small dogs in it at the same time. The other thing we noticed is that it's hard to put sheets on and if you are the outboard sleeper good luck climbing out without climbing over someone. That being said I like the floor plan of the S better than the R and the R's livingroom slide looks smaller than ours and doesn't have a window. The up side to the R is that you shouldn't have a problem making it up or climbing out.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Commercial Member

As a side note, when we went wider, the bed got all the extra space in the 24S. It is now 53" instead of 50" wide.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #5

I went with the s because of the storage
Both inside and out.
The bed is fine, just put a foam topper on it
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I'm having them put memory foam into the mattress now.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar