Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbud View Post
They may be able to cut out the dealer margin by going through someone like RVDirect but I feel like it was worth it for me to go through a dealer. RV's are notorious for needing some love and attention, not to mention upgrades and fixes. There is enough info on the web to get a feel for whether you are paying a fair price. The service department where I bought mine had asked whether the unit was purchased there before giving me an estimate of the time to do the work. I would therefore assume it does make a difference when you want some work done on your RV.
I sure does.

However, quotes by online RV sales vendors have a place in the mix as well. Not only are they a valuable tool for getting a "ballpark" figure to target in your negotiations with your local dealer, they may sway you completely to the online vendor to close.

You can drive a lot of miles if the savings on a dealer visit is in the 10s of thousands. You may also find that a local truck service department can also perform warranty work on your camper (when authorized by FR).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
2012 Solera

I bought locally. Did not find the dealer support very valuable. For warranty work, the dealer wanted me to leave the RV - would not pre-order parts and schedule such that I could wait. Net result - with a motor home without a toad - six times the distance to the dealer for any repair (two vehicles and two drivers to the dealer; one vehicle back; one vehicle to the dealership to pick up; two vehicles with sepatrate drivers back). Assumes fixed on first try - often not the case. Very inconvenient and expensive if the dealer (like mine) is 70+ miles away. Over 400 vehicle miles minimum for any warranty work!!
Combine that with my experience - had to re-do myself most of the items I asked the dealer to repair during PDI - dealer work on repairs was slipshod. Just "fixed" enough to get relatively naive me out the door. Of interest, per internet reviews, mine is the "good dealer" in the area - the only other dealer FR was able to identify anywhere near me had absolutely terrible online reviews.
I fix stuff myself or, in serious matters (e.g., slide motor mount broke off frame in week two of ownership) I used a local RV repair shop and sent the bill to FR (pre-approved by FR).
I would not pay any premium for "dealer support" in the future. My assumption would be the support is worthless.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I bought locally. Did not find the dealer support very valuable. For warranty work, the dealer wanted me to leave the RV - would not pre-order parts and schedule such that I could wait. Net result - with a motor home without a toad - six times the distance to the dealer for any repair (two vehicles and two drivers to the dealer; one vehicle back; one vehicle to the dealership to pick up; two vehicles with sepatrate drivers back). Assumes fixed on first try - often not the case. Very inconvenient and expensive if the dealer (like mine) is 70+ miles away. Over 400 vehicle miles minimum for any warranty work!!
Combine that with my experience - had to re-do myself most of the items I asked the dealer to repair during PDI - dealer work on repairs was slipshod. Just "fixed" enough to get relatively naive me out the door. Of interest, per internet reviews, mine is the "good dealer" in the area - the only other dealer FR was able to identify anywhere near me had absolutely terrible online reviews.
I fix stuff myself or, in serious matters (e.g., slide motor mount broke off frame in week two of ownership) I used a local RV repair shop and sent the bill to FR (pre-approved by FR).
I would not pay any premium for "dealer support" in the future. My assumption would be the support is worthless.
Believe it or not; this was my experience as well. My next camper will be from an online merchant. All work after the sale was shoddy and overpriced.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #24

I too fell for the myth that if you buy locally you will get good service when a warranty item fails. My local dealer now has had my Solera for two weeks and hasn't even looked at it so of course has not ordered any parts. This is the second time I have had it in for the same repair so they know what needs to be ordered. Last time was a full three weeks. Funny that when I paid them $400 for an oil change they had me in and out in the same morning. Now I am scheduled to leave for a trip in another two weeks so I will pick it up whether its repaired or not and never darken their doorway again. Very expensive lesson but now I know for my next purchase to go where it is the cheapest.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #25

I worried that buying online would make difficult getting warranty work done here in my local area (65K population), which has one dealership authorized to do FR warranty work. What I have found is that they have been happy to help me with the work needed. No problem I didn't buy here. I actually spoke with the salesman who originally showed me the Solera I couldn't afford at their price. He asked what I decided to do and I explained the lower price I found online, and that I was embarrassed, but went with them, so I could afford this rig that was perfect for me. He acknowledged they could never have given me that price....and as an aside told me to let him know if I had any problem from their service department, and he would step in. Hoping for a trade-in in the future, which I might think about at some point.

I am sharing all of this as I think we will all benefit from each other's experience. I am a total newbie, had no trade-in when I bought, so had no bargaining chips. I understand using RV Direct is most beneficial for people like me who have no trade-in. The gentleman in the RV Direct dealership in Des Moines who did the pre-delivery work, and helped me thru the PDI, was extremely competent and helpful, cared about what he was doing, and I found the same kind of help here at home. Perhaps I have been lucky, with a good rig that has required only a little warranty work (so far).

I am guessing, but suspect the lower RV Direct price is due to high volume, low overhead (like no inventory to maintain), beneficial agreements with the manufacturers, etc. I know their salespeople make small commissions, compared to those made by the local sales staffs. They have little responsibility beyond the sale and delivery. I preferred to take the risk of no follow up help in exchange for the vastly lower price. I have carefully begun local relationships to help me when I need it, and have so far been lucky.

So, of course, time will tell.

And the above is, of course, only my impression of my experience....which may or may not be worth anything to others. Take what you want and leave the rest!
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Tips for buying ANYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
I am a total newbie, had no trade-in when I bought, so had no bargaining chips. I understand using RV Direct is most beneficial for people like me who have no trade-in.
Believe it or not, in my experience you will get your absolute best deal with no trade-in and obtain your financing elsewhere (or have a pre-approved loan in hand).

With a trade, they can low ball the price on the camper you want, and so discount your trade (that you don't want) that all their profit is in the crappy price they offer for your trade, crappy terms on the loan, and way overpriced (and usually worthless) extended warranty.

You can tell all your friends about the great deal you got on the new camper and the dealer will laugh all the way to the bank.

To get your best value, treat the purchase as 3 separate "events"; not one.

1) You are buying the camper
2) You are "buying the money"
3) You are selling your camper to "someone".

Pre-price an RV loan. Check your local banks, online banks, and your local credit unions. Shop for the loan so you know what interest rates and term length you qualify for and the down payment required (if any). That way after you are close to "making your deal" you have something to compare to the dealer's financing offer (which might be good - but you won't get their best rate unless you have a rate they have to beat). Oh, and for GOD SAKE never talk "monthly payments." This is a rip off tactic used to steal thousands from you. "Heck, it is just 20 dollars more a month" - FOR 10 YEARS!

Your trade is VALUABLE. While a private sale is a hassle, it is EASY to sell it for what the dealership will offer you plus any sales tax savings on the new camper. You don't need to sell at retail to get more money from your camper. Just more than the dealer offered. NEVER talk trade (or financing) before you agree on the camper's price. Once you have a firm handshake on the price, mention "I was going to sell my old camper myself, but what would you give me for it." Will give you a TRUE wholesale (auction) value of your old camper.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make your last pricing stop your local dealer.

GET THE ONLINE QUOTE FIRST - it will be designed and priced with all the factory options you want and will most likely be the cheapest you are going to find (beating most "show prices" like a drum).

THEN, using it, (them), as a guide, work from the farthest away you are willing to drive to the closest. That way you can say "well, I would rather buy from you, but this offer from XYZ is very attractive and several hundred (thousand?) dollars cheaper; making the drive worth my while."
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #27

Perfect advice. Thank you. When it's time for a new camper, I will sell the Solera outright by myself....which, I have found from selling cars instead of trading them, is not hard, and always beneficial financially. Yes, it can be assumed the dealers will do everything they can to benefit themselves, so handling each piece of the transaction without their help, and researching each piece completely, gives us the edge. It may be that the smarter we buyers get, the more fair the dealers will become....but I'm not holding my breath.
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Believe it or not, in my experience you will get your absolute best deal with no trade-in and obtain your financing elsewhere (or have a pre-approved loan in hand).

With a trade, they can low ball the price on the camper you want, and so discount your trade (that you don't want) that all their profit is in the crappy price they offer for your trade, crappy terms on the loan, and way overpriced (and usually worthless) extended warranty.

You can tell all your friends about the great deal you got on the new camper and the dealer will laugh all the way to the bank.

To get your best value, treat the purchase as 3 separate "events"; not one.

1) You are buying the camper
2) You are "buying the money"
3) You are selling your camper to "someone".

Pre-price an RV loan. Check your local banks, online banks, and your local credit unions. Shop for the loan so you know what interest rates and term length you qualify for and the down payment required (if any). That way after you are close to "making your deal" you have something to compare to the dealer's financing offer (which might be good - but you won't get their best rate unless you have a rate they have to beat). Oh, and for GOD SAKE never talk "monthly payments." This is a rip off tactic used to steal thousands from you. "Heck, it is just 20 dollars more a month" - FOR 10 YEARS!

Your trade is VALUABLE. While a private sale is a hassle, it is EASY to sell it for what the dealership will offer you plus any sales tax savings on the new camper. You don't need to sell at retail to get more money from your camper. Just more than the dealer offered. NEVER talk trade (or financing) before you agree on the camper's price. Once you have a firm handshake on the price, mention "I was going to sell my old camper myself, but what would you give me for it." Will give you a TRUE wholesale (auction) value of your old camper.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make your last pricing stop your local dealer.

GET THE ONLINE QUOTE FIRST - it will be designed and priced with all the factory options you want and will most likely be the cheapest you are going to find (beating most "show prices" like a drum).

THEN, using it, (them), as a guide, work from the farthest away you are willing to drive to the closest. That way you can say "well, I would rather buy from you, but this offer from XYZ is very attractive and several hundred (thousand?) dollars cheaper; making the drive worth my while."
Great advice. Whenever a dealer asks me what kind of payment I'm looking for, I always tell him I'm not shopping for a payment. If I apply for a loan for the already agreed-upon price, THEN I'll be shopping for a payment.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #29

I guess it’s to each his own. I was willing to pay a little more and take a bath on my trade to avoid the hassle of selling on my own and mostly to get the supposed good service I would get by buying locally. I figured the local dealer would show some loyalty and take care of me when I had issues. And he would be looking for repeat business when I came back to trade this one and buy my next one. I now know all that extra money I spent got me nothing in return when it came to service. Next time I sell myself and buy cheap even if I have to travel a distance.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #30

Just a quick comment on fuel milage on the Solera. I have only put about 7K miles on my 2012 Solera -- mainly in California. First off, both the dealers & manufacturer quoted higher milages than I've been getting.

What I can say is that my fuel milage varies VERY little from tankful to tankful. It's varied from about 13.0 to 13.4 mpg. This past week we drove about 2000 miles. We were at sea level for about 700 miles of that trip. The balance was climbing to 8000+ ft at Crater Lake to below sea level in Death Valley. Temperature varied from 37 degrees to 105 during our trip. The one thing I could count on was CONSISTANT fuel milage -- and I can prepare for that! (I can't control the cost of the fuel though!)
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Commercial Member

in 99% of the time that I have been involved with an online quote. Customer brings the online quote into their local dealer (with a trade) and asks them to match that price (even though the online dealer was not taking their trade). They are nowhere close.

In 100% of those same situations. If the customer came to me and let me put them with a sales manager first, decides to sell their trade on their own, we have been able to get them an agreeable price. Dealership is taking a big risk with the trade...what if there is something wrong with it? They also haven obligation to the used buyer as well and in many cases their price reflects this risk for repair of the used unit.

As long as the dealer is making money, in my experience, they will take the deal. But to get the best price, sell the trade yourself, then they know exactly what their margin is...no guessing.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
Just a quick comment on fuel milage on the Solera. I have only put about 7K miles on my 2012 Solera -- mainly in California. First off, both the dealers & manufacturer quoted higher milages than I've been getting.

What I can say is that my fuel milage varies VERY little from tankful to tankful. It's varied from about 13.0 to 13.4 mpg. This past week we drove about 2000 miles. We were at sea level for about 700 miles of that trip. The balance was climbing to 8000+ ft at Crater Lake to below sea level in Death Valley. Temperature varied from 37 degrees to 105 during our trip. The one thing I could count on was CONSISTANT fuel milage -- and I can prepare for that! (I can't control the cost of the fuel though!)
if you ask any dealer selling solera they will tell you 18-20 mpg , and they are all wrong , they based that on the sprinter van sold by roadtrek and air stream ..
if your full diesel tank ( 26 gal ) take you over 340 mile @ 65mph you are very lucky
i think Winnebago View® and View® Profile, citation , tioga All get better mileage than the solera because Aerodynamics is better ...
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #33

The others might get better fuel mileage, but we didn't buy it for economy. We bought the solera because it was MUCH nicer looking than all the other sprinter-based models. I guess if mpg is your only criteria you could end up with a really homely motorhome that no one will want to buy on the resale market!

I personally don't mind 13-14 mpg as it is much better than our class A pace arrow (8mpg on a good day) that has been sitting since we got the solera! It's a great coach, but the solera sure is nice!

It's also nice not to pay the Winnebago tax...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote