Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Solera Motorhomes

Hello,
Are there any other Solera owners out there? I would love to share Solera experiences with you. So far the rig seems good, but then I'm coming from a 97 Rialta. I think I miss the squeeks and rattles most but really love all the room. You Georgetown owners go ahead and laugh. At 24.5 feet long I am amazed how much more storage and room I have now. The slide of course helps. This is the first time with a diesel engine so I would really appreciate any advice on that. Love the power on hills. I think once on a steep Pennsylvania hill in the Rialta I was passed by a lady pushing a baby carriage. OK, an exaggeration but not by much.
George
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #2

Solera Owners

Hi George,

We have a 2010 Solera which we purchased early this year. We had a 2004 Rialta before. How are you doing in fuel mileage? I'm disappointed with ours. Our friends have a Winnie View, same chassis year, and they are getting an easy 18 mpg on the highway. I have a hard time getting 14-15 mpg keeping it at 55 on our flat FL roads. Terrytown RV ad to which I responded was, at that time, advertising up to 21 mpg. I knew that was pie in the sky hype but was hoping for at least close to 18 mpg. Salesman claims mileage will get better with more miles (have 3500 miles on it), but the Winnie View got 18 mpg from day one. The Solera is a little heavier (190lbs dry) and a lot higher than the View. View has a better aerodynamically designed front overhang, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Hello,
Are there any other Solera owners out there? I would love to share Solera experiences with you. So far the rig seems good, but then I'm coming from a 97 Rialta. I think I miss the squeeks and rattles most but really love all the room. You Georgetown owners go ahead and laugh. At 24.5 feet long I am amazed how much more storage and room I have now. The slide of course helps. This is the first time with a diesel engine so I would really appreciate any advice on that. Love the power on hills. I think once on a steep Pennsylvania hill in the Rialta I was passed by a lady pushing a baby carriage. OK, an exaggeration but not by much.
George
FL Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

Solera Mileage

I don't have many miles on my rig either (about 4K). The mileage started out at @12MPG and has improved to around 15MPG. I hope the dealer is right that it should be 17-19MPG. I don't travel with a full water tank and generally have empty or very low waste tanks. We don't carry a lot of "stuff" either. I'm typically driving 65MPH so I know if I could stand driving at 55MPH I would get better mileage. Of course I don't have the flat land like you do either. Do you use the cruise control? What do you have for tires? I have some fairly aggressive all season tires that don't look like they are great mileage tires.

I loved the mileage in my Rialta (@20-21MPG) but I had no power and highway tires that caused me to actually get stuck on a slope with wet grass once. Embarrassing! especially when a Kubota tractor hooked up and easily pulled me up the slope (not steep).

Hopefully the mileage will increase with use.

How was yours built? any issues?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
brania

I am in the proces of a Solera Purchase. I am trying to decide between a diesel or propane generator. Anyone have any expertise or reasoning as to one should spend the extra $$$ for diesel?
thanks
Andrew
brania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
brania

Question diesel generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brania View Post
I am in the proces of a Solera Purchase. I am trying to decide between a diesel or propane generator. Anyone have any expertise or reasoning as to one should spend the extra $$$ for diesel?
I will purchase within the next 48 hours.
thanks
Andrew
on the road is better than at the work
Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

diesel generator

Brania,
I am no expert but I have had gas and propane generators. Using gas/diesel you have a very large tank to supply the fuel assuming of course you have fueled up. I don't think this is a huge advantage because I just don't run the generator that much to make a difference. I like the propane generator better because it doesn't seem to have the smelly fumes you get with gas/diesel. The propane burns cleaner and I hope will require less maintenance. If you have a Solara you have @8 gal propane tank for fuel. That's a fair amount of generator time.
Good luck,
George
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
brania

what is the best interior color scheme for solera? I chose tiki autumn with cherry cabinets but now I am having some doubts. Does anyone have this scheme? I had to purchase the rig sight unseen until final check. Help please!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
brania

I have noticed something very peculiar................ everyone in this Solera group has also owned a Rialta previously......... We just sold our 95 Rialta ( with heavy hearts). I guess it's the natural progression. As we accumulate more stuff and grand kids we need more space.
Andy New Gloucester, Maine
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #9

Andy,
That is an intereting observation. For my part I think we have a group that is looking to go camping without driving a very large rig. The only comparably sized products I found to replace our 97 Rialta were vehicles like the Roadtrek that were far more expensive than the Solera. It is nice to have a bit more space although we have quite a few empty cabinets that we just don't have anything we want to put in them. I loved the Rialta for its size and fuel economy. However the bathroom of your new Solera will make you forget the Rialta. It is nice to have an oven. We also love not having carpet in either the cab or the living area. Cleanup is easy.
Which model Rialta did you have? Ours had twin beds. Good with the fishing buddies but less than desireable with the bride. Did you have any transmission problems with the Rialta?
George
Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
brania

new solera

Hi george.
I was just checking to see if you received the reply to your questons. I had a bit of an issue with my computer when I tried to sen the message.
Let me know if you got the 1st message.
Andy
Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
brania

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Andy,
That is an intereting observation. For my part I think we have a group that is looking to go camping without driving a very large rig. The only comparably sized products I found to replace our 97 Rialta were vehicles like the Roadtrek that were far more expensive than the Solera. It is nice to have a bit more space although we have quite a few empty cabinets that we just don't have anything we want to put in them. I loved the Rialta for its size and fuel economy. However the bathroom of your new Solera will make you forget the Rialta. It is nice to have an oven. We also love not having carpet in either the cab or the living area. Cleanup is easy.
Which model Rialta did you have? Ours had twin beds. Good with the fishing buddies but less than desireable with the bride. Did you have any transmission problems with the Rialta?
George
george did yo get my reply to your questions?
Andy
Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #12

Solera on the road

Hi all,
We have been giving the Solera a workout. A recent trip to Northern NH, VT, the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain combined with trips to Rockland, ME for the North Atlantic Blues Festival and Boothbay Harbor have amde for a busy summer. I apologize for not returning private messages. The vehicle ran like a champ but I found an interesting problem. My right front wheel had a clicking sound that would accelerate with speed. The local Mercedes service manager told me to try removing the front wheel cover and lubricate the edges of it. I thought he was nuts. It worked. The clicking went away. There's one to file for future reference.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the Dodge grille and putting in the Mercedes grille? The are a number of kits you can buy but if I decide to do it I want to get OEM products.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

FL Solera,
I didn't think about this when I replied to your post about mileage you are getting. Is your friend's Winnebago on the 3500 chassis? Those tandem rear wheels in your Solera will reduce your mileage. So far, driving through the hills of northern New England and NY I am only getting about 14-15 MPG.
Brania,
Did you get your Solera yet?
George
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
brania

still waiting......for Solera

Hi George,
no Solera yet. We just got back from a camping trip scheduled long befoe we ordered the Solera. We borrowed my daughter,s 20 year old pop-up. NOT quite the same as a Rialta or a Solera. Hopefully delivery of new "house" in early Sept. Do you know if installing solar panels qualifies for the 30% tax credit ?. I think it might..... because the interest on the loan is tax deductible because the Solera qualifies as a second home.
Andy
New Gloucester, Maine
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #15

Interesting question

I don't know if solar panels qualify for the tax deduction but they might. Do you know of someone who can install panels on your Solera? I would consider that myself. It would certainly help boondocking.

We are heading to Acadia later this week. Maybe we can meet sometime before summer is up.
George
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
brania

george,
were you by any chance in greenville maine around august 5th or so? I was riding a bike from lily bay and I happened to see a Solera in the parking lot across fro Auntie Em's restaurant.
Andy
Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #17

Andy,
That was another Solera. We are in downeast Maine right now and plan to return home tomorrow. Probably will go down 202 from Augusta to avoid the Sunday traffic out of state. I have removed all the "Solera" writing on the motorhome. I'm a little strange that way. If you see one with no name, that's us.
George
Old 10-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #18

Considering a Solera purchase

Would like an assistance in comparing a Solera with comperable models of rv (View or Navion) Any major difference in maintenance or quality control? Other than aerodynamics and weight, it don't understand the variances in mileage for the Mercedes diesel. Also any thoughts about the new 2011 diesels at higher horsepower using the emissions fluids.
Steve68922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #19

Steve68922,
The first thing you want to make sure you are comparing the same chassis (3500 vs 2500) when it comes to mileage. I have the 3500 chassis and get around 16 mpg on the highway. We don't load up "heavy" and drive 60-65 MPH. New England isn't exactly flat either.
I can't answer about the 2011 diesels. I have looked at the 2011 Soleras and noticed they made some changes i.e. location of the generator and compartmental changes. Nothing earth shattering. I feel that I have been very fortunate on the quality end vs stories I have read from other motorhome owners. The deciding factor for me in the View vs Solera was money. There was a very significant difference. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #20

Solera purchase reply

Thanks George,

I think the Solera is the 3500. (Is the distinction a dually vs single?) I have noticed quite a difference in price. Do you think there is that much difference in quality? I have wondered if it would make more sense to spend less money on an rv with a virtually identical floorplan, but with a gas engine on a chevy or ford chasis. We don't know how much we will be able to utilize this purchase, so it is difficult to calculate a break even analysis. I just don't want to have to think too hard about taking the rv for fuel cost purposes or I'm afraid we won't use it. We have more time to travel in the winter months, and it appears as though the Arctic package would fit nicely. Do you have any experience with cold weather traveling and draining the water systems? While my wife and I are attempting to be semi-retired, we also plan to do some traveling with our children ages 15 thru 22. How has your experience been traveling a parking with the Solera. We don't really want to tow anything.

Steve
Steve68922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera