Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Survey; Lost camping spot to rude camper

Just wondering, I was camping recently and reserved a spot the day of with the (state)park office. Went to the site, placed my table cloth w/clips on the sites' picknic table, then proceeded to drive the MH down to the lake and enjoy the sun. When I returned a few hours later, this guy and his family had set up on my site. The parks' office was already closed, so I know he couldn't have checked in through normal channels, so, he just took the table cloth off and set up camp. Upon questioning him whats up, he said he has this site for the rest of the weekend starting tomorrow, so he thought "someone just left the table cloth". I figured he was just a rude lazy sh__. and didn't want to move sites, being he came a day earlier than his reservation. Upon questioning why he just removed the table cloth, he responded "well, since there wern't any chairs" how was he to know it wasn't just left by the last guy.

Is camping starting to slip a bit like I perceive with society in general, or is this just a rare event. Please comment with similar expierences, if any. Thanks

P.S. I helped the guy after a "in disbelief" discussion to an open spot.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Its just the way society in general is going. It will change,give it time.I think we are at or reaching a low point either now or soon.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

We have 100 plus nights in the last 2 years and only have seen something once. A RV camped next to us and came over and asked if we had seen their camp chairs, that they left to mark the site. We said we had not. They walked the CG and found them at another site, the guy said he thought they had left them. So based on our experience about 1% of the people out there are crooks. I do have to say that 95% of the CG we have been at had camp hosts.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Traveling along

If you leave your site to dump tanks or "enjoy the lake", make a sign that states - SITE RESERVED - and place it in the middle. Leaving chairs around it usually lets idiots know its taken. Harder to ignore.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

You know there's just some people out there who are so dumb, they don't realize that their not the only people in the world and it's not all about them.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Just wondering, I was camping recently and reserved a spot the day of with the (state)park office. Went to the site, placed my table cloth w/clips on the sites' picknic table, then proceeded to drive the MH down to the lake and enjoy the sun. When I returned a few hours later, this guy and his family had set up on my site. The parks' office was already closed, so I know he couldn't have checked in through normal channels, so, he just took the table cloth off and set up camp. Upon questioning him whats up, he said he has this site for the rest of the weekend starting tomorrow, so he thought "someone just left the table cloth". I figured he was just a rude lazy sh__. and didn't want to move sites, being he came a day earlier than his reservation. Upon questioning why he just removed the table cloth, he responded "well, since there wern't any chairs" how was he to know it wasn't just left by the last guy.

Is camping starting to slip a bit like I perceive with society in general, or is this just a rare event. Please comment with similar expierences, if any. Thanks

P.S. I helped the guy after a "in disbelief" discussion to an open spot.
Do they not have site posts on state park sites? If you reserved the site there must be a better way to indicate you've reserved it than to just put a tablecloth on the picnic table.

I've seen people leave stuff like that behind so if that's the ONLY indication you reserved the site I wouldn't call it rude.

At our provincial parks they have posts at every site where you put your reservation ticket. If you had that and he ignored it, that would be rude.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

When I was completely new, first time out, I went and picked out a site, and then went and registered. Upon returning, I found someone just getting there and claiming the site. He had just stopped and was getting out of his truck, and had not unloaded anything. I showed him our registration. I thought I was going to have to punch the guy out because he was totally rude. He said there were signs directing me to set up first, and then register. There were none, and he couldn't point them out. So being new, I apologized... oh... but that wasn't enough. I finally told him that I truly appreciated his insight and information for a newbie, but that it was time for him to go or else. I had been completely polite and apologetic up to that point. It was time to call his bluff... He left. I never saw them in the park the rest of the week... The only thing I can figure is that it was his favorite spot, and I had already paid for it. He was trying to bluff and bluster his way into getting me to go back and change my spot. Now I know... and try to read all info online before I get there. I pay attention to signs and instructions.

So... maybe these folks are just new to all of this and don't know any better... but... there are thieves out there, and people that have absolutely no consideration for anyone else. I'm definitely no thief, and I do try not to be inconsiderate... I think most RVers are pretty good folks, but if you camp long enough...... you'll run across the other kind.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
In most parks I have been you get a site slip and post it at the campsite. I would chalk it up to an honest mistake (most people are doing the best they can most of the time).

[on soapbox]
The decline I see is that many boomer and later parents don't think rules apply. They blow stop signs with their kids in back, but then expect kids to drive within the law. They bike without helmets but yell at their own kids about not using helmets. Each of us must try to be the person our children thought we were when they were 8 years old.\[off soapbox]

As far as society getting worse, it's a mixed bag. I work with Boy Scouts and truly believe our future is bright. I know great leaders with strong morals who are 16 and 17 years old.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
Berkshire 390QS

Use a construction cone and put in middle of site if you have to leave.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Use a construction cone and put in middle of site if you have to leave.

"Like"

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #11

Willing to bet he was trying to get a free night and as others have mentioned too lazy to set up twice. Also as others have said all the parks we've stayed at issue a receipt showing that site is ours he should have moved what a looser.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #12

set up and don't leave , it doest sound like much honor among campers
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Willing to bet he was trying to get a free night and as others have mentioned too lazy to set up twice. Also as others have said all the parks we've stayed at issue a receipt showing that site is ours he should have moved what a looser.
My thoughts as well. But, smartie pants was surprised no doubt, when he arrived at the registration office in the morning to get his admittance pass for his TV, and they would have asked him "sir, what about last nights stay". I took care of that for him, in case he "forgot" to mention it! This park is up north and not in full camping mode yet, host on site, etc. He, and about ten of his fellow campers, were visiting this northern state park and were from our neighboring friends to the north, coming down and celebrating their long weekend. I'm guessing he knows the senario, and was just going to steal a night. The guy had two teenage daughters as well, so sad.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

What ticks me off are campers who leave their site a mess and the ones who don't exit at the required time. What are they teaching their kids? The only thing I might take from an abandoned site is firewood and only if the CG host ok's it.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

There is a number posted at most of the state parks, I use, here in NY at the gate your supposed to call if you come in after hours. What about those who have to move their trailer to dump tanks this guy would just walk in and move anybodies stuff claiming ignorance. Maybe you should have called and had the CG people come and tell him to move using the after hours number since he didn't want to do the right thing, his kids must think they can get away with anything by his example.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #16

While in FL we had to take the RV to the dealer to change out to our new RV, we did not return until after dark. We had left choirs, table full of things covered with tarp, name sign at the site. When we got back someone had moved everything across the road and taken our site by the water. I called the campground guard and he made them move out of site and also move everything back across the road they had moved then proceeded to inform them that he did not have another spot for them to move to and they would have to leave. They ask about the spot they had moved our things to and he said "someone is coming in later tonight for it". That spot stayed empty the whole time we where there.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
While in FL we had to take the RV to the dealer to change out to our new RV, we did not return until after dark. We had left choirs, table full of things covered with tarp, name sign at the site. When we got back someone had moved everything across the road and taken our site by the water. I called the campground guard and he made them move out of site and also move everything back across the road they had moved then proceeded to inform them that he did not have another spot for them to move to and they would have to leave. They ask about the spot they had moved our things to and he said "someone is coming in later tonight for it". That spot stayed empty the whole time we where there.
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #18

I pulled into a park last year and there was a guy and his wife on my site, still hooked up but sitting in chairs... Relaxing. I had booked the site 10-months earlier because it was our favorite one in the park. I went up to the office to inquire.
"He's having issues with the trailer brakes. He said he called a repair company but they're not sure if they can get out here today."
So I waited about 30-minutes (with tired kiddos, no wife). They never moved from the chairs... So I figured I'd have a chat. After talking a few minutes, something didn't add up. They showed me where they were supposed to be (a very non-private site), and how they came about ending up in my site. I was a little more than suspicious... And asked him to pull foward a bit. After doing so, I walked around to the front and pointed "Um... Your emergency brake connector is pulled away."
He sheepishly stuck it back in, and pulled on over to his assigned site.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax
Old 05-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
In most parks I have been you get a site slip and post it at the campsite. I would chalk it up to an honest mistake (most people are doing the best they can most of the time).

[on soapbox]
The decline I see is that many boomer and later parents don't think rules apply. They blow stop signs with their kids in back, but then expect kids to drive within the law. They bike without helmets but yell at their own kids about not using helmets. Each of us must try to be the person our children thought we were when they were 8 years old.\[off soapbox]

As far as society getting worse, it's a mixed bag. I work with Boy Scouts and truly believe our future is bright. I know great leaders with strong morals who are 16 and 17 years old.
I guess some of the folks you are describing are part of the "entitlement generation." They think they are entitled to do anything they want, without regard for others, so long as it fits their selfish agenda. I know they are a minority, but I hate being around them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #20

Our state parks have a checkout time of 2pm weekdays and 5pm weekends and holidays. One weekend last year, we were going to be leaving on a Sunday which the checkout time was 5pm. About 1:30pm, we decided to relax and take a nap before getting things ready to leave. At 2pm, someone comes to our window next to the bed (we had a pop-up), looks in at us and says this is their spot and we are supposed to be out of there because it was 2pm. We told them that checkout time was 5pm that day. They wanted to argue about it with us and stayed parked in the street waiting for us to leave so they could pull in. We ended up packing up early, which I would never do again. I later contacted the park, telling them that someone at the campground gate had to have made a mistake in even letting them into that site with us still there. They refunded our money for that day. I just couldn't believe how rude some people are.

Tags
camping, camper