Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #1

Suzuki Samurai

Anyone using a Samurai as their "toad" and using a braking system? If so, what kind are you using?
mksimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #2

Plan to start towing with a used Honda CR-V we purchased. Don't know about the Suzuki but I have done a lot of research on braking systems. Will probably be using SMI Stay in Play Duo. Top rated company with the duo a high rated and proven system. Requires installation but watched a video and seems not to difficult plus you don't have to remove a box in front of the divers seat each time you drive like brake buddy type systems. It also uses your power brakes instead of a dead pedal.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

Make sure you read up on how to flat tow the Sammy if it's a 4X4 (It's NOT the same as towing a jeep! Key in 1st position, transfer case in neutral, manual tranny in 2nd, start it up every 300 towed miles to lube transmission or you'll be buying a new one).
You can also install a drive shaft quick disconnect to avoid that process for $300 or so.
With that said, I've pulled both a Sammy and now a TJ Jeep and I use the Night Shift surge brake system with the optional breakaway kit. Simple, rugged, low tech, but effective even with power brakes on the toad.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

BTW, the Night Shift system is an easy install on the Sammy or Jeep. My understanding is other vehicles, such as the CRV, are difficult installs. Rule of thumb, if you pop the hood and can't see the firewall, it would be a difficult install.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Make sure you read up on how to flat tow the Sammy if it's a 4X4 (It's NOT the same as towing a jeep! Key in 1st position, transfer case in neutral, manual tranny in 2nd, start it up every 300 towed miles to lube transmission or you'll be buying a new one).
You can also install a drive shaft quick disconnect to avoid that process for $300 or so.
With that said, I've pulled both a Sammy and now a TJ Jeep and I use the Night Shift surge brake system with the optional breakaway kit. Simple, rugged, low tech, but effective even with power brakes on the toad.
Do you feel it is even necessary to have assisted braking when towing a Sami? I ask because if it is in stock form, they are really light and track well. I am also an owner but mine far from stock.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

My feeling is that you need the extra stopping power in an emergency situation, no matter the size of the toad or tow vehicle. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

One other thing---check your state law and the law in any state you plan to travel with your toad.
Most states require brakes on a toad and many states also require a supplemental breakaway braking device. The Night Shift system (aka NSA Ready Brake) I use is approved in all states and provinces in North America.
Not only will you be safer with brakes on your toad, you'll also be legal!