Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Thanks for the assistance

Researched switching over from a 5th wheel to a class C sprinter chassis for 4 months. Used this forum many times to educate myself. Decided that the 3 Forest River brands gave the most bang for the buck. Ended up ordering a 2016 Sunseeker 2400W - fantastic fan,rear tv,stabilizers,side cameras,platinum paint,15k AC. Since I did all the maintenance on my diesel pickup I plan on doing the same with the Sprinter chassis and will use this forum to get info. Some people get intimidated with basic diesel maintenance (oil and gas filters) but I find it no more difficult than working on a gas engine.
I plan on adding the Hellwig sway bar (if it is not available by my June production). I remember seeing a thread about a net system for the overhead bed being available soon. Does anyone have one or do you know if mine will at least have the hooks mounted for attaching in the future?
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Why would a net from a car trunk not work?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the assistance

I believe bclemens said the safety net is an available option now

Quote from safety net post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We started adding the backer in on all units about a month ago. So in if its too late you should be able to get it through parts.

But yes, if not off until the end of the month, call your dealer. Option code 2534 $133
DBTSolera24R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Sounds like the backer is in to hold a hook so I should be good to go. Probably have a choice of using the factory net or an an aftermarket net.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyrett View Post
.... Some people get intimidated with basic diesel maintenance (oil and gas filters) but I find it no more difficult than working on a gas engine....
Be careful when replacing the fuel filter. I had an issue after I had our local Ford dealer - who claimed to be qualified to work on Sprinters - do the 20K maintenance on our 2012. Maintenance included fuel filter replacement. The fuel filter is under the fresh air line feeding the turbocharger. The fresh air line connects to the turbo with a "compensator ring" between the hose and the turbo, clamped with a hose clamp over both. The local Ford dealer apparently disturbed the compensator ring in the process of replacing the fuel filter - 8K miles later the ring was sucked into the turbo, damaging the turbo vanes. California Bureau of Automotive Repair investigation and Small Claims Court filing later, Ford dealer's insurance company reimbursed me for repairs and court filing costs (Mercedes denied the claim under warranty). There is a service bulletin from Mercedes on this issue.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyrett View Post
Sounds like the backer is in to hold a hook so I should be good to go. Probably have a choice of using the factory net or an an aftermarket net.
Seriously consider the size of the opening in any "after market" net, if the application is to secure children in the upper bunk. A severe choking hazard is present fif when stretched the opening in the net, allows a childs' head to become entangled.
Also, as B Clemens mentiolned, the design should allow rapid exit if an emergency arises. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote