Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Thinking of downsizing from 2900 sunseeker to a solera

Bought a 2900 sunseeker 2 years ago...thinking of downsizing to a solera. Can you guys tell me if you can do a u turn with a solera on city street? Will it be easier than my 30 foot rv to navigate the city? Easier to park in mcdonalds etc? Nearest solera dealer is 80 miles away and i havent drove one nor been into one before... Amy info from people who downsized will be greatly appreciated
amarettl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

U-turns are doable, but all depends on the city's road widths. Parking is easier, but you still have 11.5' to watch on overhangs. Downsized from 38' pace arrow-very happy!
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Just bought a new one and aside from a few minor probs-couldn't be more tickled! The layout is excellent and the MB engine and tranny are to die for-getting 151/2 to 16 mpg righyt out of the box-only 2800 miles thus far. Bought mine from RV direct-had to travel to pick it up-didn't want to wait 8-12 weeks and saved a ton over local dealer pricing. Recommend the Solara highly-just make sure you can handle the downsize!
wdnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

I had my Solera in San Antonio TX, was told at the RV park that there wasn't much parking for a motorhome down town. I went on down with it and was allowed to park in a lot about 1/2 from the Alamo without any problems at all. The Solera is wide eoungh to fit right into a regular parking stall and the length was just a little more than 1/2 of the stall behind the vehicle. The parking attendant even charged me regular price. You can't do that with a larger RV.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

I was initially concerned about storage on our new 24s-the huge bin on the right rear more than makes up for it. Our '12 is on an '11 chassis so we didn't get the extra storage bin that some did by moving the def tank under the hood, but we really haven't needed it either. We've totalled 3,000 miles in a month and we've got another 1,000 coming up soon. Great rv and I'm sure if we didn't set the cruise between 65 and 70 we would be seeing 15-17 mpg. It's just too easy and comfortable at that speed tough...much better than the pace arrow.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Thanks to all who replied, I was hoping I'd get negatives instead of positives, now what I'll do is drive the 80 miles to the dealer and see if all 4 of us will be happy with the downsize, I like the advantages, but my wife tells me it ends when we're parked and begins again once we're on the road.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Just a side note the 2900 has no slide (as you already know). You'll be surprised how much that opens things up when parked on the Solera. I would recommend getting a swivel seat adaptor (you can search for the source on here) because with 4 you'll want some spots to sit.

I'm working on getting those swivel seats installed at the factory as a standard feature...but some of my counterparts don't want to raise the price to get them. They keep going back to that they are available via aftermarket...I just don't think most people want to hassle with it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #8

Never thought of the slideout making up for the lenght...how about an option to have the swivel seats instead of being standard so as not to raise the price? But good suggestion on the swivel seats....
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Trying to juggle two different styles of chassis never works. You always have the wrong one on hand.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

look at a sunseeker chevy 2300.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #11

I just wish the tv was mounted somewhere other than the overhead bunk in the 24s...but I don't know where that somewhere would be.

The biggest issue we have had on our tv is the poor tv sound and no way to hook into the overhead speakers in the rv.

Overall, other than some basic getting to know it type issues and some minor warranty items, ours has been great.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

I feel your pain. I just got a 2012 Altima and the 2013's now have "Remote Start".

You can get one of those "Sound Bar's" at least if you want better sound (At least when using Satellite, not sure if the older TV's have audio out).

Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker
I just wish the tv was mounted somewhere other than the overhead bunk in the 24s...but I don't know where that somewhere would be.

The biggest issue we have had on our tv is the poor tv sound and no way to hook into the overhead speakers in the rv.

Overall, other than some basic getting to know it type issues and some minor warranty items, ours has been great.
We had someone run wires from the TV to the stereo upfront and. Ow all speakers broadcast the noise from the TV at high volume. Easy fix that took him about 20 minutes.

Reiner
Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

RV Direct- legit or not?

I am interested in wdnfins experience with RV Direct." Bought mine from RV direct-had to travel to pick it up-didn't want to wait 8-12 weeks and saved a ton over local dealer pricing." Is this a legitimate business or just another scam?? Prices seem too good to be true. Trying to figure this out from the west coast. Not familiar with Des Moines, the closest pick up spot from me. Any input is welcome
Peter V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #15

PeterV

I purchased my Solera from RVDirect about two years ago, I had my delivered from the Des Moines dealership as the extra cost was just a little more than the delivery to the dealership. I did get a good price on the unit plus I got financing through RVdirect at US bank. It did take about 8 weeks to get the unit but afterward the wait was worth while. I know there are some dealers out there that have units in stock you might look at that. You can check dealers on RVDirect web site and see what's in stock. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #16

Got my 2014 from Orlando RV which is tied to RVDirect. Good pricing and love the MB diesel. MB has a very roomy cab.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V View Post
I am interested in wdnfins experience with RV Direct." Bought mine from RV direct-had to travel to pick it up-didn't want to wait 8-12 weeks and saved a ton over local dealer pricing." Is this a legitimate business or just another scam?? Prices seem too good to be true. Trying to figure this out from the west coast. Not familiar with Des Moines, the closest pick up spot from me. Any input is welcome
We bought our Solera from Des Moines RV, which is RV Direct, in July 2012. We thought the price was unbelievable, and because the one we wanted was already on their lot, we didn't wait long to pick it up. We were happy with the transaction.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #18

Gary, we just bought a 2900 and love it! But we also just posted a mod on the TV mount that might be applicable to your situation, too.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-54431.html
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #19

We bought from RV Direct in Orlando and also saved thousands and even flew there to pick it up and drive it back to OKC. Found it on their lot within days of its arrival and didn't have to wait also. Great experience for us, leery at first but turned out great!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #20
Average Joe

Bought from RV Direct and pickup from Buffalo. We would do it again. (-:

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote