Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

W is here - with issues

This is a follow up report.
We've had the brand new RV for just 10 days, but are already having a couple of issues:
1. The grey tank valve does not appear to close completely. When I tried to remove the sewage cap to connect the hose, I noticed the pipe was already full of waste water, while the grey valve was in close position. After I removed the cap, the water continued to flow at slow speed and never stopped. The water started to gush out once I pulled open the grey valve as expected. So apparently there is a leak. Later I tried to push close the valve tightly, and tested with faucet on, and water started to come out right away. I noticed two things: the valve handle does not appear to close in all the way (see picture below, the right one for grey), and, the valve is extremely hard to pull out or push in. I did push very hard and the valve stopped with a gap.

Is this a defective valve? For the new W floorplan, the grey and black tanks are located on the passenger side, and there is a long pipe across the entire body to connect the tanks to the outlet on the driver side, so the cables for the valves are much longer than other RVs that I have used. Could this be the reason for the mechanic issue? I plan to take it in for service.
2. The second issue is a bit scary but I'm not certain if this is real. It has happened three times - the engine won't start after I turned ignition. No cranking sound, just lights came on dash and then all went away except the engine symbol remained on. I had to pull out the key and tried again, and usually on the second or third try, the engine started. I doubt this is a low battery issue because engine didn't even crank. Has anyone had this problem or I was doing something wrong? This is the 2015 Mercedes chassis by the way.
Once this happened in the middle of no where, without cell coverage, I was frightened.
I appreciate your input!
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

Never had any issues
Maybe take it to the sprinter mercedes dealer in Kearny mesa
My water does drip a little
Not much

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

We had a similar issue with our new Sunseeker. Took it in for warranty work and there was a piece of vinyl flooring keeping the valve from closing. I assume trash from the build. When we had our Solera, same problem with starting. I had to make sure gear shift was in the park position fully. Sometimes had to jiggle the shifter to get it to crank. After a couple of trips, we no longer had that problem.
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

RE: Engine Fail to Start

I've had the same thing happen a few times. This is my guess ... if you find something different, please let me know.

When you turn the key to start the engine, the glow plugs are energized. If you don't start right after the lights have gone out, the glow plugs suck battery power AND might be damaged if they remain on too long - they're not designed to "glow" for extended periods.

There have been a few times when I was distracted for maybe 10 seconds or longer, from starting the engine; like I forgot to close a drawer or put something away. After returning to the driver's seat, I turn the key to complete the start process and nothing happens. I turn the key to OFF, begin again and it starts just fine.

So, my theory is that to protect the glow plugs from premature failure and to conserve battery power, the "computer" protection decides to shut down the start cycle after a predetermined amount of time. Easy enough to test yourself. Is all part of the adventure!

Beautiful RV you have there!!
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
TGR

I couldn't get one of my gray tank valves to shut properly so gray water seeped into the drain pipe. Just like in the picture, my handle wouldn't completely seat to the wall. One day, after draining and flushing my tanks, I discovered an oddly shaped 16" long piece of black plastic stuck in my flexible drain hose. The tank valve now works perfect!

Perhaps flushing the tank several times will nudge an obstruction out of your valve.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Like others have said you probably have trash in the valve preventing it from closing all the way. I have a 2 year old 24R and I "dug out" 2 partial hole saw cutout from the black tank valve. I think I still have something in the gray tank as it drains real slow some times. Also I cannot fully close the valve at times. Once I had to partially fill the black tank and opened its drain while the gray tank valve was open to back flush the gray tank piping. Whatever I still have in the gray tank it has not gotten through the valve far enough for me to grab on to it.
Eric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Thanks to all who replied. I will try to flush the grey tank again tonight with a lot of water and see if any foreign object comes out. I'm not looking forward to it though, because it makes a huge mess when I open the cap.
Regarding the engine issue, I haven't figured out the pattern. I will test it in two different ways: put the key in ignition and turn it immediately, or, wait till the lights go out then ignite. I know some people like to wait till all test signals go out before ignition, I don't, and I don't know if it makes any difference. Will report.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

Hi, Jeff...
Jim says perhaps your valve will have to be replaced. Ours works very smoothly and seals properly.
With regard to the engine, he has noticed about a second or two delay before the engine fires...other than that it works fine.
Hope you get any and all repairs taken care of quickly so you can be on your merry way. Did you get to Joshua Tree yet?
Have fun!!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

This morning the engine wouldn't start again, so I jiggled the shifter a little, and it started on the second try! If this is a sure pattern, I'll talk to the Mercedes service about it. There may be something loose which may turn into a permanent problem.
I dropped off my W at Norm's RV and will find out if the valve is defective or something causing the valve stuck open.
Mary Ann, there will be a heat wave in Sol Cal around weekend and temp will in 90s, so I'm having second thoughts about going to Joshua Tree. How was your FROG rally?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

San Diego mountains in the upper 70's , perfect camping weather
Hope you get the starting problem fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

Jeff, I sent you an email. Maybe Sandiegodoug has the right idea! ����
Mary Ann

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #12

We also have an issue with the tank valves. We are trying to get it into the dealers for repair. But they need authorization to do the repairs.
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbruchay View Post
We also have an issue with the tank valves. We are trying to get it into the dealers for repair. But they need authorization to do the repairs.
Is yours W? The tanks and valves of W are on the passenger side, and dump outlet is on the driver side, so the cable between the valve and handle is 8~9 ft long. I wonder if the cable of my W has a kink. It's extremely hard to push and pull. It will be replaced under warranty.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

just saw the grey tank valve discussion for the first time today

I got my 24S last Oct when we did a lot during the walkthrough, but for some reason not the tank drain

had the problem right off the first time I uncapped the drain, also noted the grey valve not fully closing

to get to the point, what I finally did was run the end of a garden hose into the outlet, pointed toward the grey valve, noted some bits flushing out

the valve then closed somewhat further, but not fully

so I removed the four bolts that hold the valve in place, then repeated the flush while rotating the now loose valve up & down

more bits came out, and after repeating the rotate & flush a few the valve finally closed completely

replaced, tightened the four bolts, no problems since
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote