Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

Which appliances are propane?

Are all of my appliances, like my generator and my fridge, propane? I have a solera motorhome
laurie05701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

We just picked up our new 2014 Solera and it has a LP gas generator with gas or electric water heater and fridge and of course a gas furnace. Hope that helps.
embrquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrquilts View Post
We just picked up our new 2014 Solera and it has a LP gas generator with gas or electric water heater and fridge and of course a gas furnace. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply, sorry if I sound dense, but this is my first camper of any kind, and it's a Solera 2014, like yours. So, trying to understand, either you are plugged in to 30 amp, or your power source for the coach is your propane for fuel to power anything? Does any thing except the engine pull diesel from the fuel tank for the chassis?

Thank you in advance for your help from this real green novice!!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Hello Laurie,

When you plug in the 30 amps, the fridge will switch automaticaly to electric if you push the auto button on the fridge.

The furnace is always propane.

Your generator is always propane and, good news, it required a lot less maintenance than gas or diesel.

Your AC is always electric 110 volts.

Your fan above stove is electric 12 volts, it will work even if you are not plugged.

Your stove is always propane, the burners and the stove.

Your water heater is propane but you can switch it to electric but you have to know what you are doing, wait a little while for this )

Well, I think that's it !

Pierre

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
2012 Solera 24S

If you have a propane generator, the only thing that will use diesel will be the engine.

When you turn your water heater on from the control panel, it will run on propane. It can also run on electricity when you are plugged in. There is a breaker in the electrical panel for the water heater. There is also a switch out on the water heater itself that controls the electric heating element. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ONLY TURN THE WATER HEATER SWITCH ON WHEN THE WATER HEATER IS FULL OF WATER OR YOU WILL BURN OUT THE ELEMENT! I usually keep the breaker and the switch off if my water heater is drained. The electric element will heat up the hot water tank in about a half hour. The propane much quicker.

For the refrigerator, set it to auto and whenever you are plugged in it will operate on electricity. When you do not have power, it will run on propane.

The stove and oven also obviously use propane as well as the furnace.

This is a great forum, almost any question you have can be answered by another Solera owner or bclemens who is actually at the factory.

Welcome and enjoy your new Solera!

Looks like Pierre and I answered your questions at the same time.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Thank you very much...the walk through that the dealership gives you has so much information packed into a couple of hours! I appreciate your time vey much.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #7

Thank you for your help. I am still learning and appreciate your advice!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
2018 FR3 30DS

2011 Solera S
Something you need to know...If you turn off the 12 volt system (DC), then the refrigerator and furnace will not work because their controls are run by 12 volt DC. My 2011 S has a on/off switch located in the stairwell on the left side (but I don't turn it off). Some do turn off the DC current in order to keep the batteries from going down and the reason for that is that you have some "hidden" items that draw current...i. e., the propane/carbon monoxide detector and the little booster for the antenna...and maybe others...
If you open the fridge and it's supposed to be on and there's no light then chances are you either have a blown fuse of the DC is turned off...
hope this helps ...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote