Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Why not TWO sway bars then???

Was changing the oil&filt on my Avalanche the other day and realized that this vehicle has not one, but two, beefy anti-sway bars(F&R) off each axle.
This vehicle, trust me, has a VERY comfy and stable ride under any situation and I'm sure is due, in part, to those two anti-sway bars. You never arrive 'tired" at a destination in this unit after a long trip! [Shame on GM for dropping it from the line-up! Boo bad!! But,
I digress...]

So, my question is:

Can we, or is there provision, or room, for mounting TWO swaybars on the 24' Solera's? Bought my '11 last yr. which already had a thick RoadMaster on the rear axle thnx to the very smart previous owner. This undoubtedly relieves the sway problem and dirty air from passing trucks. However, have any of you installed one also off the front axle, in addition? Don't even know if this is feasible but I would certainly consider it based on the height of this vehicle (11'3"!) and also before venturing out West or into high wind area's.

Any insight re this would be appreciated! Have also purchased a quad of Sumo's which I have not yet had time to install but plan to soon. I would probably replace the stock mush shocks with Bilsteins or Koni's come "that' time but only have around 17,000 mi. on these so far...

Thanks and keep on camping!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Most independent front suspensions do have front sway bars. I don't recall ever seeing a sway bar on a solid front axle before. Does your Solera have independent or solid axle front end?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

Thnx for the quick response "Coot"! Ya know, THAT'S a good question though I "think" I have an independent front end? Is the 2011 24S Solera Freightliner\Mercedes 3500 chassis but would have to crawl underneath to confirm your answer. Am actually hoping that it is independent and must admit that it kinda "feels" like it's independent judging from the way it handles...just sayin... Still love your '55(?) Chev picture btw...brings back MANY fond memories in my "hey"daze too! Also, straight 6? Cheers...PB
Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
...Still love your '55(?) Chev picture btw...brings back MANY fond memories in my "hey"daze too! Also, straight 6? Cheers...PB

It was a 56 with a 265 V8, in the picture it has a 0.060" over bore 350 4 bolt main with a HP hyd cam, ported, polished intake, heads & exhaust manifolds, functional lake pipes, 350 automatic, tilt, cruise, power seat, am/fm/cassette that looked like the original radio, power antenna, power disc front brakes, ps, 76 Monte Carlo rear end, adjustable lowering blocks, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	74684   Click image for larger version

Name:	after 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	484.3 KB
ID:	74685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig..jpg
Views:	134
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	74686  
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Mine was a 56 Belair 2 door hardtop, 265 V8. Solid black.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Started with this and it ended up like this complete with fuzzy dice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56 Chev as purchased.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	74699   Click image for larger version

Name:	56 at Crowder Park, Trenton, MO.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	74701  
Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Very cool!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

Try Upgrading Shocks Instead

My 2014 chassis Solera carries 70% of its weight on the rear ... roughly 3,000 lbs on the front, 7000 lbs rear. You can validate your own weights at any CAT Truck Scale in your area - cost you about $10 - more likely than not it will be about the same as mine.

Its the mass on the rear of your coach that motivates the stability or gyrations of your vehicle. Controlling those motions will make far more difference in how your Solera feels on the road than a front sway bar.

If you have stock shock absorbers on the rear (they're usually black) consider an upgrade to either Bilstein (Blue and Yellow) or Koni (Red) shocks. You'll be able to easily compress the stock units - the Bilsteins will require you to apply all your strength to compress or extend the shock. You will be astounded by the difference in how your Solera drives. The Bilsteins can be had shipped to your door for around $200.

Ignore all the above it the prior owner already upgraded the shocks.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

AND...so puuuuurty! Nice job and looks like you had fun. A buddy of mine and I shared a '55 4-door with the straight six when attending NMIMT in Socorro, N Mex back in the crazy 60's. We would take that thing back into the Mesa near the school to celebrate the weekends around a huge fire, etc., et al! Don't know how many times it was puked in, nor how many times we had to winch it out from ravines while making the "journey" back? Even rolled it once back there but it kept on ticking like a real trooper. The only problem we really had in spite of all these shenanigans was that the coupler for the shifter would lock up (3-speed shifter on the column) in second and we always had to stop once in a while to line the connectors up again so that shifting was possible. Only thing we did was change the oil in it religiously and even ran it up to ABQ many-a-time without fear of breakdown! DEM were the days!! * sigh * * -PB

Tags
sway