Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #1

Will mercedes 2.1l be an option for the Solera?

I have seen some RV websites that are listing the new Sprinter chassis with the 2.1l engine coupled to a seven speed transmission as an option.

Any chance that this combo woll be offered as an option?
Whitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Probably not. When the old Mercedes was a 5 cylinder, people complained that it did not have enough power to get out of its way when towing or climbing. The specs seem too close for my comfort. While the 7 speed transmission will help a little...I fear not enough with full loads.

5 Cylinder: 154 HP - 243 t lbs torque (got complaints on this one)
4 Cylinder: 161 HP - 265 ft lbs torque (leery of this one)
6 Cylinder: 188 HP - 325 ft lbs torque

Just just a quick google search reveals some testing on a raw chassis. Without the added RV weight.

Just an excerpt: "Both chassis reached 30 miles per hour in nearly identical times—about 9 seconds. We found that the 6-cylinder reached 30 miles per hour only a mere 0.55 seconds sooner than the 4-cylinder, but reached 60 miles per hours a full 14.9 seconds sooner than the 4-cylinder.

Still climbing the hill, the 6-cylinder reached a maximum speed of 67 miles per hour. The 4-cylinder’s top speed climbing was 60 miles per hour." remember, that is unloaded.

Performance Test: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 2014 Chassis, 4-Cylinder Engine with 7-Speed Transmission, vs. 6-Cylinder Engine with 5-Speed Transmission - Advanced-RV

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

Very interesting.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Whitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #4

I think the difference in torque would be worth the few mpg you might save especially if you tow a vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Even if the Solera does offer the 4 cylinder twin turbo engine in the future, I would think it would probably be wiser for someone who often travels in hilly to mountainous country to get a 6 cylinder? I am used to getting around 5 mpg less than stated on new vehicles here in MT, we were told our Chevy TB XT would get around 20 - we get 14. I was told our 2015 4-Cylinder Subaru OB would get 27, we get 22 mpg, and I feel like I should have went with the 6 cylinder - mileage collapses when driving at our 75mph speed limit, as well as when going up any grade at all. However, when we were driving on the west coast, or in Minnesota, our gas mileage was closer to rated. I was informed yesterday that the new 2.1 turbo engine design would get the same mileage at pretty much any altitude. Would that be the case for the 6 cylinder engines in current 2015 Soleras as well?
moooog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Be careful what anyone says about the 2.1. No real world testing has been done and don't believe what any salesperson says about fuel economy. To this day, I still hear salespeople tell people that the Sprinter will get 20-25mpg. I try and quietly correct them. Listen to people here...14-15 is about average on the Sprinter (so at least as good as your Chevy).

Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

I agree
Salesman tell fibs about milage
Told us the drivers were getting 17 at 70mph (they drive the units out to Cali I guess)
I'm happy with 14 to 16 and 12-13 towing my 4000lb jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #8

X2 with Sandiegodoug. The little engine that can.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooog View Post
Even if the Solera does offer the 4 cylinder twin turbo engine in the future, I would think it would probably be wiser for someone who often travels in hilly to mountainous country to get a 6 cylinder? I am used to getting around 5 mpg less than stated on new vehicles here in MT, we were told our Chevy TB XT would get around 20 - we get 14. I was told our 2015 4-Cylinder Subaru OB would get 27, we get 22 mpg, and I feel like I should have went with the 6 cylinder - mileage collapses when driving at our 75mph speed limit, as well as when going up any grade at all. However, when we were driving on the west coast, or in Minnesota, our gas mileage was closer to rated. I was informed yesterday that the new 2.1 turbo engine design would get the same mileage at pretty much any altitude. Would that be the case for the 6 cylinder engines in current 2015 Soleras as well?
Speaking to the MB 6 cyl. in the mountains. Amazingly the fuel economy only decreases slightly, maybe on avg of 1 mpg (no tow). I believe it's due to the increased torque and the fact diesel has more energy per unit. That has been my observation.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

All modern vehicles have sophisticated fuel management systems and should get similar mileage at altitude as sea level.

What makes it go down is the hills. Whether it's 1 ft to 1000 or 10-11000, mileage will suffer similarly.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #11

Smile

In response to a question I emailed Winnebago a while back I received this response. "Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Winnebago Industries. We are offering the four-cylinder Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Chassis on our View/Navion and Era products for 2015. We are putting a 5,000-lb. hitch on these chassis, just like the six-cylinder."

I guess we will all discover from the real world use of the smaller engine in these Winnebago/Itasca models whether the engines are sufficiently powerful. I'd still like to bring along a toad. I would imagine, using the 4-cylinder engine, climbing a steep incline in mountainous areas, I might have to unhook the toad and while I or my spouse might drive it, the other one of us will drive the RV.

BClemens, thanks for your insight.

BTW, who comes up with the tow ratings (e.g., 5000 pounds), the chassis manufacturer, the RV manufacturer, or some government agency? I find it weird that all other Sprinter chassis-based RV manufacturers use the 5000 weight while FR doesn't, as you stated above. If someone does exceed the rated towing weights, is there anyone out there looking to fine them? Police?
jjva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Winnebago can put a 10,000lbs hitch on their Sprinter. Doesn't mean you can use it.

Winnie saying they have a 5,000lbs hitch is a complete crock. Guess what? We only buy (2) types of hitches. 7,500lbs for our Ford E450 and 5,000lbs for everything else. We simply sticker the hitch at a more practical weight. How is the hitch rating determined?

Simple. GCWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) minus GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)

So, the attached picture was taken DIRECTLY from the Winnebago site.
GCWR (15,250) - GVWR (11,030) = 4220.

Winnie shows a 5,000 llb hitch with an asterisk. If you tow 5,000lbs...that means you need to take 780lbs from your GVWR (carrying capacity).

One website I looked at had their Payload capacity at 1300lbs.
1300lbs - 780lbs = 520lbs. That is how much you can carry if you want to tow 5,000lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 12.07.02 PM.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	62276  

Old 09-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #13

Personally I tow a 4000 lb jeep
That's about all I want to tow weight wise. I think 5000 would be pushing it