Old 10-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

2019 268RKS - converting bedroom top shelf to an enclosed cabinet setup

Hi everyone.
We just ordered three doors from FR to help box in the upper shelf in the bedroom. We ordered doors that match those that are in the upper cabinets above the couch so that everything looks the same through the coach. They charged $20.06 US for each door. Don't know yet about shipping cost to Ontario Canada.

Has anyone done this to their coach and if so, how did it turn out?

We ripped out the temporary 'aka.. rinkydink coverup' water line cover from the front storage so I'll be able to use some of that thin wood sheet to cover the wood pieces used to frame the opening sections between the doors so that it looks a bit better. We believe we have a line to get some 1x4 at a local dealer too for the tops and bottoms of the 'box' that match our coach colors.

We just can't securely store anything up there now so boxing it in will give us additional storage in the bedroom. Looking to do this in the spring though.

Thanks.

montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Bride wanted to do that as well. I think I convenced her not to. We typically store folded clothes in that location. So far nothing has fallen in transit. I admit it does not look pristine but then its a camper, not the house.

hshaynes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #3

Alright. Pulled the trigger and got the shelf above the bed converted to a cabinet.
Was able to get actual doors from FR. For the cabinet styles, FR sells vinyl stickers that you can put on a 1x3 to make the 'box' look like the regular cabinets. I had previously added small reading lights below the shelf.
I'm also showing other small upgrades made to the trailer.
For the underbelly sewer hose holder, it's set up on a swivel system where the part that isn't on the swivel drops down a bit below the skirting but is hung there by a small chain. Then, I just push it back up to the holder and run a threaded rod across the two bars and lock it down. It's a vinyl 6x6 painted black to blend with the skirting (less obvious).
Also showing a Suburban on-demand water heater that replaced the original water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_095354.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	203132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_095431.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	203133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_115521.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	203134   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_120645.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	203135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_161912.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	203136  

Name:	20190429_085101.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	203137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_162214.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	203138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_162218.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	203139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_085056.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	203140  
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Nicely done mods! Was it difficult to swap out the water heaters? Did you do it or have the dealer?
Thanks, looking to do that mod soon.
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

The opening for the original water heater was the same size needed for the new Suburban heater. I did the install myself. Lucky enough that the propane line used for the old heater was a rubber hose style and long enough so it was an easy hookup. The Suburban heater didn't need the 120V plug so that one outlet is left on its own now. The new heater just used a 12 volt line so I repurposed the original 12 volts line to work with the new heater. Now, I can still use the switches by the control panel.
The outside panel door for the heater however was the challenge.
I couldn't find the proper replacement door anywhere in Canada and nobody in the U.S. would ship to me. So, I rejigged the original door to make the new 'exhaust' port work (round one as you can see in the picture). I then used sheet metal behind the original exhaust grid to block and seal it off from the weather.

I also added a volt/amp meter for the 30 amp side to make sure that I get at least 110 volts at any site I go to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190501_091045.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	203337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190501_091134.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	203338  
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. You made a nice finished look to that outside cover, great job!
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

Thank you de VE3HMR
Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

Can you provide the information you used to get material from FR. Name and email address for them would help. DW says we should do the same. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

Your main contact would be Lisa.

Lisa M. Sanders (lsanders@forestriverinc.com)

Our 268RKS is the 2019 model and our 'color' scheme is the darker brown. That one is called Millwood Tobacco. There are two color schemes in the coach.. the dark brown and a lighter brown. I don't know the lighter brown color name.
I ordered the seam tape, 25 foot long by 6 inch wide. They sell it in 1 inch widths too.
As for the doors, they also supply those (if they still have them... if I remember, they are 20inch wide by 11 inch tall. You can ask them if they could mount the hinges for you.
I then bought some 5/8" by 3 inch wide wood strips, cut to length, covered with the seam tape, joined together and formed the box. I had taken out the 'box' that covers the fresh water pipes in the front storage and used one of the 'wall' panels to cover up the middle piece of my face plate for the cabinet. Installed with screws coming in from inside the closet and voila.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
Your main contact would be Lisa.

Lisa M. Sanders (lsanders@forestriverinc.com)

Our 268RKS is the 2019 model and our 'color' scheme is the darker brown. That one is called Millwood Tobacco. There are two color schemes in the coach.. the dark brown and a lighter brown. I don't know the lighter brown color name.
I ordered the seam tape, 25 foot long by 6 inch wide. They sell it in 1 inch widths too.
As for the doors, they also supply those (if they still have them... if I remember, they are 20inch wide by 11 inch tall. You can ask them if they could mount the hinges for you.
I then bought some 5/8" by 3 inch wide wood strips, cut to length, covered with the seam tape, joined together and formed the box. I had taken out the 'box' that covers the fresh water pipes in the front storage and used one of the 'wall' panels to cover up the middle piece of my face plate for the cabinet. Installed with screws coming in from inside the closet and voila.
Thank you. Your mods look very professional
Old 05-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #11

Hey "I had previously added small reading lights below the shelf."
Are these LEDs and the brand, what you tap into for the source to do this.
Looks good and is def on my list to do!

Thanks
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
Alright. Pulled the trigger and got the shelf above the bed converted to a cabinet.
Was able to get actual doors from FR. For the cabinet styles, FR sells vinyl stickers that you can put on a 1x3 to make the 'box' look like the regular cabinets. I had previously added small reading lights below the shelf.
I'm also showing other small upgrades made to the trailer.
For the underbelly sewer hose holder, it's set up on a swivel system where the part that isn't on the swivel drops down a bit below the skirting but is hung there by a small chain. Then, I just push it back up to the holder and run a threaded rod across the two bars and lock it down. It's a vinyl 6x6 painted black to blend with the skirting (less obvious).
Also showing a Suburban on-demand water heater that replaced the original water heater.

Do you have contact for how to order this vinyl stickers to match wood grain?
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

First, for the vinyl stickers, check an earlier reply and look for Lisa Sanders's email address. She can get you the particulars (cost, etc..).

As for the lights, I bought them on Wish.com and waited 2-3 weeks for them to arrive. Amazon has similar ones too but just more money. They are 12 volts LED I think... not sure.. 12 volts for sure. As for the connection, I tapped the power from the light switch under the factory shelf. You just have to make sure which post is + and which one is -.
I ran all the wires on top of the shelf and drilled down through and under the shelf for wiring the lights. I had to drill through the wall near the back top corner of the shelf and fed the wires through and under the shelf. It's not pretty but worked. I pulled the light switch apart and was able to see behind the wall and retrieved my new wires and made the connection.
That was the easiest way for me to go about it and since I was building the front face with doors, the wires would not be visible with the doors down anyway. The only time you'd see them is when you're loading the shelf for storage.

Tags
bed, roo