Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2024, 11:48 AM   #1

2023 Vibe 26BH Aux tank?

Just getting ready to take our new Vibe camping. I have a question about the Aux tank. The dealer said that the kitchen sink and bathroom drain into the Aux tank. If that is so, what goes into the gray tank? There is a separate dump valve for the Aux tank. Should that be drained first?
Docden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #2

Do you have an outside kitchen? That could explain the aux tank.
You might try calling your dealer and ask that question.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:02 PM   #3

I have an outside kitchen but the sink just has a tub that I dump. No drain into the trailer.
Docden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 01:27 PM   #4

Try this experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docden View Post
Just getting ready to take our new Vibe camping. I have a question about the Aux tank. The dealer said that the kitchen sink and bathroom drain into the Aux tank. If that is so, what goes into the gray tank? There is a separate dump valve for the Aux tank. Should that be drained first?
  • Start with the gray and Aux tanks empty.
  • Remove the caps on both and open the valves.
  • Start water running in the kitchen sink. Go outside and see which outlet is flowing. Turn water off.
  • Start water running in the bathroom sink. Go outside and see which outlet is flowing. Turn water off.
  • Start water running in the shower. Go outside and see which outlet is flowing. Turn water off.
  • Start water running in any other appliance you have. Go outside and see which outlet is flowing. Turn water off.
If the tanks have separate outlets, they should be independent. Order doesn't matter. If one shares an outlet with a black tank, you would want to empty the black tank first, so you could then flush the hose with gray water.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:59 PM   #5

Your 26BH is quite the rig...very nice. I see it has a plumbing challenge with a rear bath and midships kitchen.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/print/floorplans/vibe
Spoiler Alert: The real answer is at the bottom, but read on so you understand the concepts.

Generalizations.

1. The term "Aux" for a greywater tank is not one I've heard before, but it hints at the possibility that you have more than one greywater tank.

2. Why would this happen? The Vibe lineup includes some very ambitious floorplans. While most "smaller" RVs tend to cluster the bathrooms and kitchens close together to consolidate plumbing, many rigs in the Vibe line have rear baths or kitchens and midships kitchens or bathrooms. Draining greywater from locations 10 feet apart to empty into a single grey tank often isn't possible. The primary grey tank and black tank will reside under the bathroom. The drain pipes can't achieve the proper "pitch" to reliably flush out the small solids that go down the sink drain. So they will do one of two things.
A) The right way...add an "aux"iliary (second) grey tank to serve the kitchen, and plumb the bathroom into the main grey tank.
B) The WRONG way...place the one and only grey tank near the kitchen, and dump bathroom grey water into the black tank...which fills the black tank very quickly. If you're boondocking, you'll know why this is wrong, Wrong, WRONG!! But I digress.

You have one of those mondo Vibes with a long distance between the bathroom and kitchen, so you may have a second grey tank with a separate dump...probably 1 1/2" rather than the conventional 3". If you are in an RV park, you can use an adapter and garden hose to drain that "Aux" grey tank into the sewer dump.

In theory, your black, grey, and second grey dumps will be on the road side, but all your wet areas are on the curb side. While the bathroom black/grey dumps must be on the road side to connect to normal RV park sewer hookups, it's possible (not likely) that a second grey tank might have the dump on the curb side...though that would be weird.

Next, assuming you have a separate dump for a second grey tank, check out your main black tank dump area. You'll know quickly if you have a second (main) grey tank if it has TWO gate valves. The main gate valve handles ALL the waste water. But tucked up under the rig, there will (hopefully) be a second gate valve, upstream of the main gate valve and on a separate 1 1/2" pipe that "Y's" into the main pipe. That would be from a second (main) greywater tank serving your bathroom (sink/shower).

If you have that arrangement, you're golden. If not, you may have option "B" (above) and you're SOL when it comes to boondocking for any length of time and doing things like taking showers.

If you only camp at RV parks with full hookups, it won't matter. But even if you go to RV parks/federal or state campgrounds with "partial" hookups, you'll face a big challeng with a black tank that's also serving as the grey tank for your bathroom. In that case, you'll need a large, towable blackwater tote, or you'll need to break camp and go to the dump station pretty often. Not good.

So, get on the horn with your RV salesman and arrange to bring your rig back for a thorough walkthrough on the dump procedure for your rig...or better yet, have him demo that process on a similar rig that's still on the lot and has one of these mythical "Aux" tanks.

And when you are there, tell him to brush up on his terminology. There are 4 kinds of tanks on an RV.
  1. Freshwater tank
  2. Blackwater tank
  3. Greywater tank (of which there might be two)
  4. Propane tank.
He might casually refer to a second greywater tank as an Aux tank, but that's nonsense. It's a second or "auxiliary" GREYWATER TANK. Not an Aux tank. How many "Auxes" can you store in an Aux tank, anyway?

Alright, enough of the "classroom" nonsense. So, after all of that diatribe, I promised you the "real" answer. And the real answer is very good news...up to a point. Your rig has 2 grey tanks and one black tank. at the 15:30 point into the video. Note the two smaller pipes merging with the black tank dump pipe. There are 3 gate valves...one serving the kitchen grey and one serving the bathroom grey, and the main one serving the black tank and the grey tanks.

I hinted at good news up to a point. That point is the location and exposure of these dump pipes.
Concern #1. This is definitely a fair weather rig. Having all that pipe exposed means that you can't survive freezing weather. Not a big deal for most fair weather campers, but don't get any ideas about camping when it goes below freezing at night.
Concern #2. THIS IS A BIG ONE. All that plumbing is dangling below the rig in the far back corner. And with a rig as long as yours, it's VERY vulnerable to grounding. Going into and out of gas stations and such? Perhaps not, but if there is a significant change in elevation, be sure to use a spotter. The BIG problem is going into and out of campsites...especially more primitive campsites. You must ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS use a spotter to keep an eye out for grounding those drain pipes. They are far from the axle, and that means that when the tongue goes up, the pipes go down. If you try to back uphill into a site, the ground will rise to hit the pipes. The best rough terrain designs place these pipes as close as possible to the axles, so the tires maintain good ground clearance. If you aren't careful, you'll clean those drain pipes right off the rig...and if the black tank is full, that won't be pretty.

One more Debbie-Downer comment. Your City Water connection and your Black Tank Flush connection are only inches apart, AND NOTHING DISTINGUISHES ONE FROM ANOTHER EXCEPT THE LABELS. If you ever make the mistake of connecting your city water hose to the black tank flush port and walk away thinking all is good, it won't be long before there is water spraying up out of your toilet bowl seals, and soon after that it will be jetting out of sewer vent on your roof! Since those systems are not designed to be pressurized, you may cause serious damage, too. This is one of those design "flaws" that incites errors. Exercise great care when hooking up city water...double check...and don't let anyone else do it for you. Your eager nephew could ruin your entire camping season in 20 minutes. Don't let ANYONE else make this connection for you.

Best of luck with your gorgeous new rig. Watch those pipes and you'll be a happy camper.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
<<SNIP>>
Concern #2. THIS IS A BIG ONE. All that plumbing is dangling below the rig in the far back corner. And with a rig as long as yours, it's VERY vulnerable to grounding. Going into and out of gas stations and such? Perhaps not, but if there is a significant change in elevation, be sure to use a spotter. The BIG problem is going into and out of campsites...especially more primitive campsites. You must ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS use a spotter to keep an eye out for grounding those drain pipes. They are far from the axle, and that means that when the tongue goes up, the pipes go down. If you try to back uphill into a site, the ground will rise to hit the pipes. The best rough terrain designs place these pipes as close as possible to the axles, so the tires maintain good ground clearance. If you aren't careful, you'll clean those drain pipes right off the rig...and if the black tank is full, that won't be pretty.

<<SNIP>>
Something to remember when maneuvering and eyeballing those dangling pipes. One way to instantly improve ground clearance at the rear of the rig is to disengage the Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH), and if you have airbags, let the air out of the bags. When the hitch ball sags 6", those pipes will automatically gain about 4 to 5" of extra ground clearance. And bonus points for giving those rear stairs...also pretty far back and vulnerable...more ground clearance.

I once had a Taj Ma Pop-Up. A HW-277. The stairs were far forward of the axle, and they were constantly grounding in the whoop-de-doos at my favorite, primitive lake-side campground. I took to carrying a 6# sledgehammer to straighten them when we got there. I finally put in a 3 1/2" lift kit to get more ground clearance. I, too, had back rear corner dump pipes, and I had to be very vigilant to not ground them. After I lifted the rig, I dismounted those poor stairs and rebuilt them...replacing stretched, damaged rivets with stainless nuts and bolts. They had taken a real beating...even getting into and out of my steep driveway.

Also, I failed to answer an important part of your question. Which comes first ...Not "Who's on First."
Order of dump...since you have three. General concept. Dirtiest first, then cleanse with the cleaner waste waters.
In your case:
  1. Black Water and Black Tank Rinse
  2. Chase with dirtier grey water...from the kitchen. It will have small food particles and coffee grounds.
  3. The the cleanest is the shower/bathroom sink water. No food waste in that.

I think I'm done, but don't count on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Stairs1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	297553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Stairs2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	297554  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, vibe