Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

26RK wheel size

As much as we are enjoying our 26RK the one thing that has us both bothered is the small 14" wheels that came on it. Besides looking like roller skates on a Cadillac, The trailer feels "unsteady" on the road. I have the air pressure at the max, and my Equal-z-er hitch has my truck with in 1/2 inch of level. But the trailer seems to have slight push/pull at 60mph.

The Vibe Facebook page has many 26RK owners who say they're trailers came with 15" wheels and about the same number with 14". I reached out to Forest River and Tom Colton from the Warranty Dept. stated that "This floor plan is speced for 14" wheels."

How many owners here have 26RKs with 15" wheels from the factory?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #2

I can't answer you specific question with that said if you are experiencing a push pull I don't think changing the rim size will solve that. Going up an inch in rim will allow you to use load range E tires.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I can't answer you specific question with that said if you are experiencing a push pull I don't think changing the rim size will solve that. Going up an inch in rim will allow you to use load range E tires.

I have 14 on my 26RR and changed to Carlisles which are load range D max load 2040lbs, 80mph, 65psi. They pull just great.
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
I don't believe the push/pull issue is from my WDH setup. I've used the Equal-i-zer 4 point system since 2006. This is the 4th trailer. With upgraded bars. We do have plans to replace the Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance. But I would like to be able to get 10 ply but can't in a 14 inch.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #5

I did not say anything about your wdh only that you could go up in weight rating with the larger rim. Not sure what you are getting at. There are not E rated tires in the 14" range.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 03-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
I did not say anything about your wdh only that you could go up in weight rating with the larger rim. Not sure what you are getting at. There are not E rated tires in the 14" range.
I'm not "getting at" anything. I'm saying that saying is that I believe the issues that we are having are be cause of the undersized tires. They are rated at 1760 lbs.MAX.each that's 7040lbs total all four tires for a trailer listed at 7730lbs. out the door. The tires were overloaded the day we pulled it off the lot.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama PrimeTime View Post
I'm not "getting at" anything. I'm saying that saying is that I believe the issues that we are having are be cause of the undersized tires. They are rated at 1760 lbs.MAX.each that's 7040lbs total all four tires for a trailer listed at 7730lbs. out the door. The tires were overloaded the day we pulled it off the lot.

1760 lbs is related to a Load Range C tire. I do know firsthand that you can get a Load Range D tire (2040 lbs) in a ST 205/75R14 size. Usually when you get up too much in weight, then you go up in axle ratings and accordingly tire sizes, thus no industry need for a Load Range E tire in a 14 inch diameter.

I say "usually" cause here recently we received sales literature from one of our distributors saying they were now carrying a Transeagle trailer tire that had a 225/75R15 tire in a Load Range F (12 ply rated) and Load Range G (14 ply rated).

What if UFO's are just billionaires from other planets?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

The math is correct however keep in mind that your tires are not carrying the entire weight of the rig there should be somewhere >12% of your weight on the tongue if the rig is properly loaded so that would be around 6800. D range tires if you stay with 14" rims would up the load capacity if that solves the problem great. If not maybe the suspension is flexing if your rig has sprung suspension an easy and cheap check would be to add a bolt on helper spring and give it a try if it stops the problem consider adding a leaf just a thought.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS

Tags
size, wheel