Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

308BHS Inverter for Residential Fridge

Just picked up our new and first travel trailer over the weekend. The rig has a residential refrigerator with an inverter in the front pass through area.

My questions:
What all does the inverter power when we're not plugged in??

How do I make sure the inverter is powering the fridge while traveling down the road and is it even safe running the fridge while traveling??

Thanks for the help!!
Four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #2

Inverter PROBABLY powers nothing but the fridge. They should have explained all that to you.

It has an on/off switch. When you're hooked to shore power, most folks turn it off (I do) and the fridge runs on shore power. When you hook up and disconnect from shore power, you turn on the inverter and it powers the fridge from the batteries. The batteries are being somewhat charged from the truck battery as you are in transit. But it's not a zero sum game.

We have res. fridge and 4 six-volt batteries. We can easily go 8 hours with fridge doing fine. But the batteries start to go down some around that point. We usually travel 6-7 hours, so we recharge of course when we get to the next stop. Yes, it is safe and that is why you have an inverter......to power the fridge from the batteries anytime, in transit or not, you are not connected to shore power.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #3

That is what I assumed but wasn't 100% sure. They did go over how to power it on and off but not what all was powered from it.

You've verified my assumptions. Thanks!!
Four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

I'm a relative newbie myself. I think I have read that some campers have other items, maybe some 110 camper receptacles, that are powered from it also. Heck, mine may have some of those that I haven't found yet, I dunno.

But the main function of the inverter is for the Fridge. FWIW, we love the residential fridge. 2nd most important reason we got this camper.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #5

completely agree with what has already been said. we have a residential refrigerator and 2 12 volt group 27 deep cycle batteries. we have been able to travel all day with the refrigerator running. it did get some help from the truck charging system while hooked up. i did try to run it once overnight on the batteries alone and it ran them to the point that the inverter shut down. but that was just after we got the trailer and i didn't know then what i now now. i need to try that again to see how it goes. having enough battery charge to support the refrigerator overnight would open up some possibilites for us.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170414_184451618_HDR.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	134882 is this the one that you have in your vibe , we have a 2016 vibe 311 rls, and I do believe that it's not working , have a call to them for some questions ,
lbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter