Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Batteries

I have a 268 RKS Vibe with the batteries inside the storage compartment making it very difficult to remove them off season. Would turning off the main breaker work just as good as installing a battery disconnect. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to save my batteries from completely draining when not in use. TT is stored off site with no electrical power.
Thanks
Jake
jakeb0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

The main breaker disconnects your AC loads, not your DC loads. Use a battery disconnect.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Would I need a disconnect on both batteries or just the one.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Team

If you are adding a disconnect switch, you can add it between the hot (pos) side of the battery that runs to the fuse panel. You can also simply disconnect the batteries (at the terminal). If you choose this method I recommend disconnecting the negative wire from both batteries. This provided a little insurance if one battery dies of the winter, it will not kill the other one.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

If it's one bank of batteries, just the main positive lead that leaves the bank.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #6

I'm curious. We have a 2018-2019 model and our battery is behind the propane tanks. I have seen the 2017 model and it too has a battery behind the LP tanks. Never seen them in the front baggage area. How is your battery vented to the outside? It's a nice way to keep the battery safe from theft but just curious on your setup. Thanks.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #7

The batteries are enclosed in a hard plastic case with venting tube on top to a vent on the side of the trailer. It's a great concept but they should have included a battery disconnect because they are impossible to lift from the case to remove. This is my first TT purchased and overall, a great purchase.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #8

On my TT I have two 12V batteries that I've connected to one of these:

A marine type battery selector/switch which allows me to disconnect EACH battery. I can also connect one or both, depending on whether I want to insure I have reserve power (by using one at a time).

Switch is less than $50 and can be installed using some pre-made battery cables from your favorite Auto Parts Store. I chose to buy #4 awg Welding Cable, terminals, and a crimping tool. Revamped my entire 12V power feed with larger wire.

If you have two 6V's in series just use the switch from Blue Sea Systems that's an off/on rather than 2 battery selector/on-off.

I would not leave two 12V batteries connected in parallel for storage unless on a battery maintainer. One bad/weak cell can drain both.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
On my TT I have two 12V batteries that I've connected to one of these:

A marine type battery selector/switch which allows me to disconnect EACH battery. I can also connect one or both, depending on whether I want to insure I have reserve power (by using one at a time).

Switch is less than $50 and can be installed using some pre-made battery cables from your favorite Auto Parts Store. I chose to buy #4 awg Welding Cable, terminals, and a crimping tool. Revamped my entire 12V power feed with larger wire.

If you have two 6V's in series just use the switch from Blue Sea Systems that's an off/on rather than 2 battery selector/on-off.

I would not leave two 12V batteries connected in parallel for storage unless on a battery maintainer. One bad/weak cell can drain both.
Thank you - I have purchased the disconnect switch. Just need the weather to warm up to be able to do the connections.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

If your trailer has already been sitting for a month or more without a disconnect switch (or battery lead) disconnected your battery may already be too low. If that is the case charge the batteries and water levels.

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins SRW
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #11

I thought that would be the case and hope batteries are not permanently damaged.
Thank you

Tags
batteries