Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Black and Grey tank valves.

My trailer has the black/grey dump valves for the bathroom in front of the axle and the separate grey dump hookup in the rear for the kitchen. My only issue is the black and grey valve right next to each other are both black handles. Does anyone else have this issue, and could someone that has the proper colors let me know if it's the front or back dump valve that's supposed to be grey? I keep thinking I've figured it out but I always forget to write it down, and I'd also like to know I'm correct instead of guessing.
mopar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have your unit, but mine also has identical coloured dump valves. Don't really remember seeing any rigs with coloured dump handles all too often. In my case (aside from just memorizing them) I was able to tell by the diameter of the pipe. The grey is significantly smaller than the black. Don't know your setup but if you can see yours, this may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #3

I wish that was the case, but it's the exact same diameter pipe for each valve. And then the pipes head Up into the enclose underbelly so I can't see what the tank they're plumbed into looks like.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #4

I believe the Gray Y's into the black. Or also on mine, the Gray valve is located behind the outlet where you attach your hose.

Nights camped in 2016: 26
Nights camped in 2017: ?
fireman1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
Gold Miner At Heart

On mine the gray valve is the one closest to the front of unit. Black valve is closest to wheel.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

The standard under the trailer dump valves are not color coded or labeled they are for the most part all black in color. You just have to learn which is which by doing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #7

Our Crusader has black handle on the black pull and both gray pulls have gray handles....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The standard under the trailer dump valves are not color coded or labeled they are for the most part all black in color. You just have to learn which is which by doing.

I've never had a trailer that didn't have them color coded before. And it's especially odd since the handle for the rear grey tank is grey, just not the front
Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar04 View Post
I've never had a trailer that didn't have them color coded before. And it's especially odd since the handle for the rear grey tank is grey, just not the front
We have owned 4 trailers over the years the handles have all been black. Never seen one with gray handles. But I see that some are.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #10

Alot of times, the grey tank valve will be smaller on a 2" pipe vs the black on a 3" pipe. If you can see the lines or the valves themselves you may be able to tell from that. Beyond that, the grey typically T's into the black like others have mentioned. Only other way would be to get a clear elbow or extension and use that the next time you dump. You'll know quickly which one is which, then you can label them if necessary form there.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #11

Just get a can of "grey" paint and paint the handle .....Then there is no need to remember......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Our old Flagstaff TT had Black & Gray pull handles !!!
As many have said,,, Gray handle was smaller than Black,,, in fact it once broke off,,,
I replaced it with a Gray Metal handle !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

Hello everyone, first post on this site. Bought our Vibe 268rks last month and went on our first trip a couple weeks ago. First RV we've ever owned so everything is new to us. Everything went great (minus a black tank flush that wasn't connected)... My question I have relates to the labeling of the black vs gray tank. One is labelled "waste water holding tank" and the other is labelled "sewer outlet connection". I was under the assumption that the "sewer outlet connection" was supposed to be black water, and waste water was gray... On day 2 of our trip I went to hook up the sewer hoses and accidentally cracked the valve on the "waste water" holding tank (Shirt sleeve got caught on the handle). No big deal, until it became very evident that "waste water" is Black water and "Sewer" is gray water... Is this simply a case of Mislabeling or what? Anyone else had any issues like this?
Clorenz324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #14

Black and Grey tank valves.

I know that grey water lines are usually smaller, and that I should paint the handle grey once I figure it out with 100% certainty. These are 2 equal size, black, unlabeled, valve handles and pipes. The are 100% identical from where they come out of the enclosed underbelly all the way to the sewer line hook up. What "should" be on this trailer and what "is" on this trailer are two different things, but I'm glad (not that you're having a problem but that I'm not just crazy/stupid) to see someone else is having some confusing issues with the plumbing system on this thing.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorenz324 View Post
My question I have relates to the labeling of the black vs gray tank. One is labelled "waste water holding tank" and the other is labelled "sewer outlet connection".
When you refer to the "labeling" I assume you are referring to the stickers on the side of the camper above the actual valves. In this case, it seems like they are mis-labeled. The best way to tell is to look at the handles. One should be grey and one black, or the pipes they control will be 3" or 2". The smaller is the grey water and the larger is the black water. Black being toilet water and grey being every else that has a drain.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar04 View Post
I know that grey water lines are usually smaller, and that I should paint the handle grey once I figure it out with 100% certainty. These are 2 equal size, black, unlabeled, valve handles and pipes. The are 100% identical from where they come out of the enclosed underbelly all the way to the sewer line hook up. What "should" be on this trailer and what "is" on this trailer are two different things, but I'm glad (not that you're having a problem but that I'm not just crazy/stupid) to see someone else is having some confusing issues with the plumbing system on this thing.
Does one of these "T" into the other, or come into the sewer line hookup at a 90 degree angle to the outlet? If so, that should be the grey tank. do you have a picture of the setup for us to look at?

Tags
black, tank, valve