Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Black tank flushing system

Was flushing black tank. Had a back flow preventer in line. Notice water coming from under trailer. Never had this problem before while flushing tank. Check for a leak. Looks like there is a right angle black square thing in line with water flow. Has these markings B&B, model number 571. Also 110f or a p and 125 psi. Is this a combination check valve back flow preventer? The water seam to be coming from it. Thanks for your help
dgkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Mine would leak occasionally so I finally just took it out along with about 10' of hose and connect the hose directly to the inlet behind the back flow valve. Works just fine.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Mine would leak occasionally so I finally just took it out along with about 10' of hose and connect the hose directly to the inlet behind the back flow valve. Works just fine.
Where is the back flow valve located. must be after the vacuum break, maybe before the head, I do not have one that I can see? surely not going to drop the bottom and look. Where did you find yours or did you just add one?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Where is the back flow valve located. must be after the vacuum break, maybe before the head, I do not have one that I can see? surely not going to drop the bottom and look. Where did you find yours or did you just add one?

Behind the outside hose connection inside the camper. It is connected to the hose connection. Just cut the hose off and find the hose that goes down into the underbelly, cut the hose and connect it to the back flow valve. Real easy, takes about 5 minutes.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Behind the outside hose connection inside the camper. It is connected to the hose connection. Just cut the hose off and find the hose that goes down into the underbelly, cut the hose and connect it to the back flow valve. Real easy, takes about 5 minutes.
I understand where I can add one, my problem is the black flush is between the shower surround and the outside wall. I can't even reach it. From that back valve it go's down under the unit between the floor and the enclosed bottom. If it breaks I'll just have to figure out how to run a line directly to the head and just leave what is there now. Lets hope it don't break. I can not believe they did not make it accessible. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Not talking about the valve behind your shower surround, the back flow preventer I'm talking about is on the back side of the hose connection you use to flush the black tank. The hose originally comes in from the outside and goes up to the vent/backflow valve (was under my bathroom lavatory and behind your shower surround) and then down into the black tank. All you have to do is remove the hose from the inside of the hose connection and cut the hose going into the black tank and connect it to the inlet hose.

Top picture is the back flow preventer (brass fitting with arrow on it) on the back of the outside hose connection.
Bottom picture is the outside hose connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01537.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	76146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01538.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	76147  
Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Well you just put a check valve in line. I'm not worried about that my concern if my Black Valve vacuum breaks. I have no way of repairing it. You can't get to it even to put a brass one in. a check valve will not stop the Vacuum valve from breaking in my wall.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well you just put a check valve in line. I'm not worried about that my concern if my Black Valve vacuum breaks. I have no way of repairing it. You can't get to it even to put a brass one in. a check valve will not stop the Vacuum valve from breaking in my wall.
I never put anything in, it is factory, all I did was remove the valve and hoses you're worried about.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I never put anything in, it is factory, all I did was remove the valve and hoses you're worried about.
It's like I said months ago. Flagstaff units cost a little more then Rockwood, and thank you for proving my point. They do come with little extras that Rockwood's do not...

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
It's like I said months ago. Flagstaff units cost a little more then Rockwood, and thank you for proving my point. They do come with little extras that Rockwood's do not...
Your Rockwood has the same valve if you look. They have to have it to keep possible back flow from the tank.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #11

I got it handled with the help of all the replys. Thanks to all for the quick responses.
dgkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Your Rockwood has the same valve if you look. They have to have it to keep possible back flow from the tank.
No that statement is not correct, there is NO backflow preventer on my flush. It is straight hose to the Black Valve. They are using that as a preventer. Water can only flow one way through it. I have been through my whole system if they were to put one in they forgot on 2012 models or on mine at least. The garden hose that they use for that line hooks directly to the inlet. I'll take a picture of it next time I pull that panel. That's how I found were they installed that Black valve that is required by there code.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No that statement is not correct, there is NO backflow preventer on my flush. It is straight hose to the Black Valve. They are using that as a preventer. Water can only flow one way through it. I have been through my whole system if they were to put one in they forgot on 2012 models or on mine at least. The garden hose that they use for that line hooks directly to the inlet. I'll take a picture of it next time I pull that panel. That's how I found were they installed that Black valve that is required by there code.
Just take a picture of the outside hose connection with the cap and screen removed.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #14

Here are the pictures Took the screen out shows nothing, took a picture of the line connected to the outside, NO back flow. dropped the line to the hose to drain the line from the from the black valve you can see the pink that came out never flushed that line will do when I need to use the flush system if I had a check valve you wouldn't see pink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black valve flush 001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	76207   Click image for larger version

Name:	black valve flush 002.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	76208   Click image for larger version

Name:	black valve flush 003.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	76209  

Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

I would go to Lowes and get a brass back flow valve, connect it at the hose connection and connect that hose to the black tank flush and throw the other hose and vent/backflow in the garbage. Get more pressure at the flusher anyway, but that's just me. Read your email.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
I would go to Lowes and get a brass back flow valve, connect it at the hose connection and connect that hose to the black tank flush and throw the other hose and vent/backflow in the garbage. Get more pressure at the flusher anyway, but that's just me. Read your email.
That makes no sense at all, Yes it would provide any back flow, but it will not stop the one in wall from leaking at all. That is the problem either I cut an access whole in my bedroom wall or remove the shower surround. NO thank you. I hope it last not like the others....

Old 05-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Sorry, I sometimes type before I think
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That makes no sense at all, Yes it would provide any back flow, but it will not stop the one in wall from leaking at all. That is the problem either I cut an access whole in my bedroom wall or remove the shower surround. NO thank you. I hope it last not like the others....
You cut the hoses going to the one in the wall and connect the hose to the flusher directly to the inlet and newly installed brass back flow preventer. The one in the wall can't leak if it isn't hooked to anything.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
You cut the hoses going to the one in the wall and connect the hose to the flusher directly to the inlet and newly installed brass back flow preventer. The one in the wall can't leak if it isn't hooked to anything.
What i wrote was the pipe in the wall is not accessible, If it was that easy without tearing out walls and dropping my bottom or cutting and access whole, it's inaccessible. I could cut the line before it go's up the wall but I still need to attach it to the line running to the jets. You can't do that the way they have it set up. I just love when people make comments and really do not understand. It is my problem and I'm sure I will figure something out if it means cutting a whole in the bedroom wall or dropping the bottom. I can take the shower faucets off as I did but there is no slack in the line to pull it up to the whole for the shower faucets. I have 3 options only.#1 remove the shower surround #2 cut an access whole in the bedroom wall. #3 remove the bottom cut and reachable line and reroute it under the floor to the tank. I thank you for all your opinions. Until someone see's what would have to be done I guess people do not understand. I guess the pictures didn't help. Thanks for all your suggestions. I will ask about it at the 2015 rally. Once again thank you everyone. Not all trailers are the same I have found out even the same brand.....

Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Glenn, do you not have 2 hoses going up to the valve in the wall? One would be from the hose connection and one coming down the wall and going to the sprayer. What I am saying is the one coming down the wall and going into the tank is the one you would cut and the one going from the hose connection up the wall, you just disconnect or cut leaving the valve undisturbed in the wall. Then just connect the hose going into the tank to the hose connection. If you have access to the hoses in the pictures, you don't have to do anything to the valve in the wall, just leave it hanging there. It looks like both hoses are in the picture going up the wall and have what looks like a wire tie around them in the far back of the picture.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank