Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Delamination

Now it looks like I have a small delamination problem on the rear of my 2018 Vibe 268RKS. I’d send a pic but it’s too small to notice. Bought used and still under 90 day warranty, but it doesn’t look as if it is covered. Now what?
Manufacture date is 5/01/2017
bmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Sounds like a water leak caused the delam.
"Now what" depends on the 90 warranty and how it's worded.
You are probably SOL unfortunately.
Inspect, check and seal the roof to prevent further damage.
BTW, manufacture date does not mean when it was sold.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

SOL is what I’m thinking. I’ll talk to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #4

Do you have a Luan substrate under the siding?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #5

I have no idea what’s under the laminate.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #6

It’s not on the slide is it? Some of those panels aren’t “glued” on.

Is it near a light or something else? I suggest you do some research(as you are here) before you get to the dealer. An educated customer is their best customer.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Iwannacamp, the delamination is occurring in center of the rear panel extending to the bottom. The only protrusion near it is the stove vent. I haven’t researched yet, to see how it is attached.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

I was able to remove the oven vent from the rear of the camper and most of the screws were rusted and zero caulk around it. It appears that the delamination started right there!
Why would FR do such a poor job? They relied solely on a 1/2” wide strip of foam around the vent to seal out the water.
So for th time being I used butal tape to refastened the vent then a bead of 100% silicon caulk around the vent.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurf View Post
I was able to remove the oven vent from the rear of the camper and most of the screws were rusted and zero caulk around it. It appears that the delamination started right there!
Why would FR do such a poor job? They relied solely on a 1/2” wide strip of foam around the vent to seal out the water.
So for th time being I used butal tape to refastened the vent then a bead of 100% silicon caulk around the vent.
You just did the work the manf should of done to begin with. That should stop further damage
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurf View Post
Forest River used to be known as a good manufacturer. There was a in depth report local Elhardt TV News Report of piece work employees being high on crack, pot or anything while they go fast and get out of work early. This is not your typical FR employee but some need to take recreational drugs.

If all RV manufacturers eliminate piece work the quality would improve immensely.
Higher end coaches are often better quality but still shake my head at some of the things I see.

I would email the division that made your trailer with the VIN and register a complaint. Better yet show up to the Goshen Rally and try to get a factory appointment for wall replacement, they have a 2 year limit on repairs there. They might say original owner but might again do the right thing like they have done many times.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #11

How did you get a warranty? I was told when I purchased my used 2018 5er rockwood the mfg wouldn't warranty it . Warranty is only good for original purchaser. It was only 6 months old when I purchased it. Dealer said they could sell me a warranty from them. I declined because I know dealers dont know wtf their doing . Only found a couple things wrong so far .
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #12

The dealership gave me a 90 day warranty.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

I just finished with emails back and forth with FR and it looks like I’ll be fixing this myself. I’m the 2nd owner and FR will not be repairing the delamination.
If you’re reading this, you really need to check your stove vent cover and sleeve to make sure it is caulked. The service tech I talked to at FR said the outside cover should have been sealed to keep water damage out.

Good luck to you out there!

Tags
delamination