Old 03-11-2020, 01:22 AM   #1

Desperate need of creative storage ideas.

So this may sound strange, but in our previous rig, there wasn't a lot of storage space, but there was enough. Most of it was narrow shelves, which was fine. Put a few things in, and nothing had room to move around.

The Vibe has these HUGE storage compartments in the kitchen !!! The one that runs along the side wall above the counter is what 12" deep and 5 feet long!!!

I'm trying to think of how to keep all the stuff at the back of the cupboard from ending up in a pile at the front of the cupboard.

Same thing with the cupboards on the side of the fridge. Perfect for liquer bottles and cereal and such... but unless we stock up for the apocolypse it's all gonna be a mess the first time I hit the brakes.

As I said, the previous rig didn't have a lot of room, so a few things in each compartment, stayed put. We're having a real quandry here coming up with ideas of how to keep stuff in one spot while travelling.

Thanks in advance for any cool ideas... even uncool ones.

Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #2

You have a good problem. Most complain of not nearly enough room. And I won't be surprised if this is temporary as most of us find a way to fill up any empty spaces we have by bringing along things we think we will use but never do ;-)

A couple suggestions for you.

Many people use little baskets in their cupboards to put little things in and keep them together. Things like spice jars, and smaller items. You can get larger ones for larger items. Developing some skill in blocking and bracing items with bigger items in the front and smaller items behind to keep things from shifting is required. Making things bigger than they really need to be also can help in using up space so there is not free space for things to shift from. Example would be turning boxes on their larger side (like face down) rather than their narrower side as they are on store shelves so they eat up more room can help.

Another trick is using adjustable braces. Here's a link to get you started of some I have used in the past but there are many types.
https://smile.amazon.com/SIQUK-Cupbo...3908973&sr=8-2

Last, You can always install a couple eye hooks in the cabinet and run a small bungee cords around items to hold them in place. In some instances I like this method as I don't have to rearrange things from travel position to we are setup and want to find things easier position as is sometimes required with the first method.

I've used and still use all of these methods currently in different situations so they all work for me, hope they work for you. Happy Camping!

Old 03-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #3

Thanks... that gives me some ideas... that's what I was looking for. Thanks for that link... I wasn't picturing how to use the Tension Rods... lots of options.. the gears are turning.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:11 AM   #4

Our pantry is rather deep and stuff kept getting lost in there.
So we bought storage bins similar to these to keep things visible and accessible.
https://smile.amazon.com/iDesign-Pla..._=sb_s_sparkle
Wire baskets work too.

We also use the bars recommended by CincyGus to keep the bins from flying out in transit. Also, consider putting things like plastic bags in their original package in that 5' long storage.

In a couple of months, you're going to fill up those spaces and look back on this post with amusement.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
In a couple of months, you're going to fill up those spaces and look back on this post with amusement.
LOL Maybe.. we'll see. However you should know I already pulled the rediculous 50" TV out and replaced it with a 40" TV, because we found ourselves watching Dowton Abbey from the kitchen area !!!! What were they thinking?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 AM   #6

DW is our "Organizer" she got wire shelf organizers that created two compartments, one on top of the other in those tall shelving spaces beside the reefer.nearly doubles the available space.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #7

wire shelving turned upside down. Lip to the front.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #8

For my 2 pennies worth, we decided what to leave on the counter and strap those items in. See the two pics. Also use same straps and rings on the drawers. Both are avail at HD. We carry enough crap in overhead cabinets that nothing shifts. Added a shelf to top cabinet to right of reefer. Nothing fancy so as to not lose space there. I use a different reefer bar as I think they are better than a single rod, actually threw mine away. No pic but added shelf above rod in clothes closet. Hope this helps. Also added edge protector to all the sharp edges in camper.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200311_095347.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	224954Click image for larger version

Name:	20200311_095413.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	224955Click image for larger version

Name:	20200311_095438.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	224956Click image for larger version

Name:	20200311_095533.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	224957
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Tundra 2014

Storage

We have a 27VSL, similar trailer. I use wire baskets, plastic bins and tension curtain rods across the back to keep everything from sliding back.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
However you should know I already pulled the rediculous 50" TV out and replaced it with a 40" TV, because we found ourselves watching Dowton Abbey from the kitchen area !!!! What were they thinking?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #11

Storage

We use storage bins that we buy from the Dollar Tree. They work great and one can buy various sizes. We also roll our clothes when we put them on the shelves. You can store more that way and they don't crease as much.
Simsaklac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #12

Plastic storage totes is a must have. I like the idea of those tension bars as well. In our Gray Wolf we have cabinets that are really deep and no easy way to access. With these we keep stuff like water jugs and beer on the bottom and then things like noodles in a bin on the top. It is really a PITA and I want DH to remove the panel that keeps us from easy access.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #13

Cabinet storage

First thing I always do is in all inside storage areas is cut to size that non-slip shelving material held with thumb-tacks. Without it, absolutely everything is sliding around. It really helps with food cans, toasters, coffee pots and such. Other ideas with baskets are another great idea.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #14

Cool

We use the basket method. keeps things from moving to far around when negotiating curves and break maneuvers. Our problem cabinets are the tall ones (24 inches) and there is lots of lost usage. I am going to try to install some type of interior (cabinet) shelving that I will have to fabricate myself, as I have not been able to find a stock set up to do this.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
MCTroy

Easy, I just filled up all the storage space! Seriously, I have a little of everything in the cupboards since we camp almost every weekend during summer. I keep it sorted on baskets and use the non slip drawer liners. Good luck!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #16

Baskets and bars rule. Thanks so much everyone. The only couple of "space" issues we're having are the bacement as it were, and no place to hang my guitar. Big items really.

Thanks to all who shared so far. 1st official site out and the only issue is my heated water hose is too short.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Baskets and bars rule. Thanks so much everyone. The only couple of "space" issues we're having are the bacement as it were, and no place to hang my guitar. Big items really.

Thanks to all who shared so far. 1st official site out and the only issue is my heated water hose is too short.

The guitar is a difficult one. It is just so bulky. Maybe if I got him a soft case it might fit in a space easier.

On the bins, get sizes that fit the stuff you want to keep from spilling. I think someone has a picture of things like bottled items like oils, Worcestershire. That way they are less likely to spill.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage