Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlar View Post
Thanks. While pricing for some other miscellaneous parts I need seems very reasonable from Forest River, they are asking for almost $600 for a new set of cushions.

It seems like I might be better off either replacing it with a cheap dining set or getting some custom made cushions.

"I'm wary of losing the sleeping space however. Perhaps if we need the additional sleeping room I can always find space to pull the dining set aside and lay down an air mattress.
you could perhaps find a jackknife sofa that may fit the space and then find a folding table that you can collapse down when using the jackknife sofa for a bed
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
We went to a local trailer sales and they had cushions for the seats. All kinds of spares and we purchased a set for $40. They were just extras they had removed from trailers but in great shape. Check some places
Maybe they were the one that put the trailer on the auction. Took the cushions out so they could make more money. Do they match the decor of the rest of the trailer?

Though I mean this as humor, I've seen things like it happen before. Like when a car dealer takes a truck with a bedliner in on trade, removes the liner and sells it separately so he can make more than he would if he left the liner in the truck.
Nothing illegal, just a little crooked if he tells the person that buys the truck "Oh, I've got a liner that will fit that truck to sell ya if you want it".
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #23

Did you buy it from a dealer? Or a previous owner? Either way what was their response? If Dealer I would have them make whole unless of course this was part of deal. If previous owner contact and find out.
RolltideRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #24

Ahh sorry didn't see this last bit! Auction[emoji85]
RolltideRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #25

I'm pretty sure you can use a fold out love seat and a standard table in that space.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #26

Thanks for all the replies guys. So, it looks like around $600 to replace the cushions from the manufacturer. I checked a local upholstery guy and he said $600-$700 to make them from scratch. I can't find any kind of aftermarket suitable replacement that would fit, so I think my choices are to either replace them with factory cushions or trash the dinette.

This is my first RV and the idea of a dinnette that can also be used as sleeping space seems like a good one. That being said I see lots of articles about replacing RV dinnettes with something else, so I'm wondering if maybe they are not as nice and comfortable as they might seem.

The factory cushions do look comfortable from the pictures, and if they are not good for sleeping I figure I could always get an air mattress to lay on top when I need to use it for sleeping space. I definitely don't want to give up the additional sleeping space and the idea of putting a kitchen table/chair set there instead and moving it out of the way to lay an air mattress on the floor isn't enticing because the table/chairs would just be in the way.

I'm thinking of either replacing the dinnette cushions or replacing the whole thing with some kind of fold out loveseat. There is already another couch in the RV, so the dinnette seems like a better idea, but I'm looking for opinions.

Are the dinnettes really uncomfortable and under used? Any opinions appreciated.

The RV is for me, my wife, and 2 younger kids (9 and 11). We may have my sister in-law and her 3 kids stay with us as well at times, so the more sleeping space the better and the dinnette seems like it would be nice especially for the kids or sitting/eating/games/etc. But I know reality is sometimes different....
Kremlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #27

I just pulled out the dinette from my SS2300. It had the bench style dinette, if that's the type of cushions you need you need, you can have them for the price of shipping. There almost in "like new" condition!

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
I just pulled out the dinette from my SS2300. It had the bench style dinette, if that's the type of cushions you need you need, you can have them for the price of shipping. There almost in "like new" condition!

Phil
Hi Phil -

I really appreciate the offer, and I'd gladly pay you more than shipping! However I suspect the cushions are a different size. My dinette is U-shaped. Do you have a picture of yours?

Mine are shaped like this:
https://goo.gl/images/Kfmbrf

Although I think the original color is different in mine.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #29

I don't have any pictures, but if you look on the Forest River website, I'm sure you can find a picture of the bench type dinette. It looks like with the u-shaped dinette you would be missing the middle section.

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #30

Well, I ordered the cushions. Expensive, but I hope worth it. For our use I thought the dinette was the best way to go. Sure wish those cushions weren't missing!

Tags
bed