Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Dinette - missing cushions, how does the bed work?

I'm very new to RVs and just purchased my first - a 2016 Vibe Extreme Lite VBT308BHS. Unfortunately I am missing the cushions for the dinette, and have no idea how it works other than I know it can be used as a bed. So I wonder if I might be missing other parts as well.

Does anyone have a picture or video of how the dinette looks and works so I can try to figure it out?

Is there a piece of plywood or something that goes over the benches to cover the hole where the table is when being used as bed?

Can anyone recommend a source of replacement cushions?

Thanks!
Kremlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Not certain for you model year, but usually the table is what covers "the hole where the table is".

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not certain for you model year, but usually the table is what covers "the hole where the table is".
OK, I feel like an idiot now - LOL! I still need to find a replacement for the floor pole mounts and cushions if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Always Learning

I wouldn't look specifically for cushions for making it into a bed. An air matress is usually way more comfortable.

But, if you need cushions for sitting at the dinette- then you will likely need to have something made unless you contact Vibe directly and see if their parts department can help you.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wouldn't look specifically for cushions for making it into a bed. An air matress is usually way more comfortable.

But, if you need cushions for sitting at the dinette- then you will likely need to have something made unless you contact Vibe directly and see if their parts department can help you.
Thanks, yeah I was looking to use it as a dinette although someone recommended I pull it out and use a cheap kitchen set instead, and use an air mattress as a bed like you said.

Any opinions on the dinette for sitting/etc.? It seems like it would be way more comfortable than a cheap kitchen set.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Always Learning

Any chance you have pictures of your space now?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Nothing with the bump out open. Will be getting some snow here and I'm still going through the RV. Will post some pics maybe this weekend when I have it open again.

Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlar View Post
Thanks, yeah I was looking to use it as a dinette although someone recommended I pull it out and use a cheap kitchen set instead, and use an air mattress as a bed like you said.

Any opinions on the dinette for sitting/etc.? It seems like it would be way more comfortable than a cheap kitchen set.
If you pull the dinette and use a table and chairs you have no more bed. It's one way or the other. If you need cushions go to an upholstery shop. Just curious. What happened to your cushions? The 4 original cushions make a bed.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you pull the dinette and use a table and chairs you have no more bed. It's one way or the other. If you need cushions go to an upholstery shop. Just curious. What happened to your cushions? The 4 original cushions make a bed.
Understood. If I pulled the dinette I would probably use an air mattress instead as a bed when needed there.

Cushions were not there when I purchased the RV, not sure what happened to them.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:

Trust me, you will be much happier with a dining set over the existing U-shaped area that you’re trying to find replacements for. We have a 2015 27RLWS that is barely usable because of the junk foam FR used, 15 minutes max sitting time before your tailbone is numb. Having cushions made with a quality foam would probably cost as much as a decent dining set.
Good Luck!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule View Post
Trust me, you will be much happier with a dining set over the existing U-shaped area that you’re trying to find replacements for. We have a 2015 27RLWS that is barely usable because of the junk foam FR used, 15 minutes max sitting time before your tailbone is numb. Having cushions made with a quality foam would probably cost as much as a decent dining set.
Good Luck!
Thanks. While pricing for some other miscellaneous parts I need seems very reasonable from Forest River, they are asking for almost $600 for a new set of cushions.

It seems like I might be better off either replacing it with a cheap dining set or getting some custom made cushions.

I'm wary of losing the sleeping space however. Perhaps if we need the additional sleeping room I can always find space to pull the dining set aside and lay down an air mattress.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #12

Let me get this straight. The dinette only came with bottom seat cushions. There were no back cushions. The back cushions were what is usually used on the table once it is put down on the wood supports on the seat edges.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
Let me get this straight. The dinette only came with bottom seat cushions. There were no back cushions. The back cushions were what is usually used on the table once it is put down on the wood supports on the seat edges.
OP stated he had NO cushions.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
OP stated he had NO cushions.
Right. I have no cushions for the dinette in the RV I purchased. Just the wooden base where the cushions sit on. I do have the tabletop and poles. One of the floor mounts that the pole attaches to is cracked so I need to replace that as well.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
OK, I feel like an idiot now - LOL! I still need to find a replacement for the floor pole mounts and cushions if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Just for clarity, you're saying that you have the table top and poles but no cushions or floor sockets for the poles? Where was the table top and poles being stored? What's hiding under the benches?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Just for clarity, you're saying that you have the table top and poles but no cushions or floor sockets for the poles? Where was the table top and poles being stored? What's hiding under the benches?
OK, sorry for the confusion. Regarding the dinette...

I have:
- wooden benches (attached to the floor)
- 2 pole mounts attached on floor (1 is cracked)
- table top with 2 pole mounts attached
- 2 poles

I believe I am just missing the cushions. I've searched everywhere and cannot locate them. Not under the benches. The RV was purchased at auction, so I can only assume that they were taken or damaged or something before I purchased. The table top and poles were in the main cabin.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #17

Quote:

I have:
- 2 poles

I believe I am just missing the cushions. I've searched everywhere and cannot locate them. Not under the benches. The RV was purchased at auction, so I can only assume that they were taken or damaged or something before I purchased. The table top and poles were in the main cabin.
OK, now we are all on the same page.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I have:
- 2 poles

Ok, in that case I see you having 2 choices:

1) Get a new base mount from either an RV dealer or an RV supply place, that takes care of the table. Get some foam and fabric and fashion your own cushions. As mentioned previously, typically the back of the benches becomes the part that goes over the table when used as a bed.

2) Give up on having a bed, rip out the benches, the floor mounts, and go pick up a standard dinette and chairs at any furniture store. Many stores will have some kind of "Bargain Annex" type area where they sell scratch and dent or discontinued sets for cheap.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #19

Cushions

We went to a local trailer sales and they had cushions for the seats. All kinds of spares and we purchased a set for $40. They were just extras they had removed from trailers but in great shape. Check some places
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
We went to a local trailer sales and they had cushions for the seats. All kinds of spares and we purchased a set for $40. They were just extras they had removed from trailers but in great shape. Check some places
I would love to run into something like that.

Tags
bed