Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Electrical

I have 2018 Vibe and I have had it plugged in to a 110 outlet and it seems like it is not charging the batteries, I have to keep charging the batteries and when they die the whole trailer dies. Itís like the 110 is not going to the battery to keep the batteries charged. Any ideas?

Big-un51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-un51 View Post
I have 2018 Vibe and I have had it plugged in to a 110 outlet and it seems like it is not charging the batteries, I have to keep charging the batteries and when they die the whole trailer dies. It’s like the 110 is not going to the battery to keep the batteries charged. Any ideas?
OK, the converter is what recharges your batteries when plugged into 120 volt shore power. The converter is also what powers the other 12 volt DC items in your RV, so the battery doesn't have to when plugged into shore power.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

If the converter isn't able to recharge the batteries, then it could be faulty, have it's reverse polarity fuses blown, or is not able to get power to the battery.

Check for a 12 volt DC circuit breaker to see if it is tripped, as this is one of the reasons sometimes that power cannot get to the battery. I don't feel this is your problem since you are getting battery power, but I've seen all kind of wiring things.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

Now if you have ever reconnected the battery in reverse (or sometimes a current inrush will do the same), then the reverse polarity fuses will blow to protect the converter from damage, These reverse polarity fuses will be in the electrical distribution panel, or on the converter itself.

Here is an example of 40 amp reverse polarity fuses to check in the distribution panel (but yours could be on the converter instead, as different RV's have different scenarios). If the reverse polarity fuses are blown, then the converter cannot output DC power to power up the 12 volt DC items in your RV (or recharge the battery), and thus the battery will do it all, up until it depletes and you connect it back up to a battery charger again.

Here is just an example of the reverse polarity fuses on a converter itself. As stated above, different RV's will have different converts, distribution panels etc, so the location of the reverse polarity fuses can be different.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK, the converter is what recharges your batteries when plugged into 120 volt shore power. The converter is also what powers the other 12 volt DC items in your RV, so the battery doesn't have to when plugged into shore power.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

If the converter isn't able to recharge the batteries, then it could be faulty, have it's reverse polarity fuses blown, or is not able to get power to the battery.

Check your 12 volt DC circuit breaker to see if it is tripped, as this is one of the reasons sometimes that power cannot get to the battery

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

Now if you have ever reconnected the battery in reverse (or sometimes a current inrush will do the same), then the reverse polarity fuses will blow, These reverse polarity fuses will be in the electrical distribution panel, or on the converter itself.

Here is an example of 40 amp reverse polarity fuses to check in the distribution panel (but yours could be on the converter instead, as different RV's have different scenarios)

Thanks for the info. Iíll check it out this afternoon.
Big-un51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-un51 View Post
Thanks for the info. Iíll check it out this afternoon.
OK, I edited my first post with more information.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical