Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 AM   #1

Filling fresh water tank

Hi everyone, I am stumped on how the fresh water fill ( gravity ) works and if I am filling it wrong . I知 supposed to have a 40 gallon tank but when I知 filling it with a hose , the water starts to gurgle and then comes shooting out . Am I getting air in my fill hose ? Vibe 268rks 2017
Mike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike72 View Post
Hi everyone, I am stumped on how the fresh water fill ( gravity ) works and if I am filling it wrong . I知 supposed to have a 40 gallon tank but when I知 filling it with a hose , the water starts to gurgle and then comes shooting out . Am I getting air in my fill hose ? Vibe 268rks 2017
You might be trying to fill the tank too fast. Turn down the water supply and try filling slowly. I have to fill mine very slowly, probably takes 15 minutes or more.
If that doesn't work, then check input hose and vent hose for kinks.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
PhD, Common Sense

If filling too fast is your problem, this item will allow you to control the flow as you fill your tank:

Valterra A01-0035VP Secure-Fill Hands Free Water Tank Filler w/Brass Shut-Off

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JDZMC82..._.EiBFb4T1KCT3
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

Likely the vent tube has a dip in it that holds water from a previous fill that prevents air coming out as water goes in. Take a piece of plastic tubing, a hose from shower hand piece is perfect. Place over vent by fill opening and blow through it. If that's your problem you'll now it in about 3 seconds. Fill normally
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

With the TT we had with gravity fill I had the same issue. I made a fill hose similar to the one in post #3. I made it long enough that the end was all the way through the fill tube and into the tank. I also used a inline filter when filling to keep stuff out of the tank and it slowed the flow enough so I had no more issues with filling the tank.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Slowly fill is a good idea.. I bent my tank supports on my 2017 Mini Lite Rockwood by filling to fast.. I think Forest River fixed the problem on newer models by adding more steel support. But, yes check your air vent as suggested..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

Fresh water tank overflow tube

Mine was clogged by a dirt dauber best.
Caused tank to swell and buckle floor.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

Look closely at the fill port, there should be a small opening with a screen, Plastic) on it. That opening is to allow air to escape, if it is clogged you might have the tank trying to vent air back up the fill tube. The air in the tank has to get out somehow.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #9

Our 2017 VIBE 251RKS supposedly has a 44 gallon fresh water tank that only holds about 20-21 gallons. No gravity fill but Fresh water hose connection. Thankful for oue extended warranty. Going to get it in for review and/or repairs. That problem among others!��
1931 Ford Deluxe Roadster
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #10

What do you think about this idea? I am thinking about using half of the unused space under one of the dinette benches to add a 12-15 gallon fresh water tank that we would use only for drinking water. I would fill it at home before leaving. I figure that size tank would last at least 3 weeks if we use it only for drinking water and making coffee. I would install a drinking water faucet at the sink which is just behind the bench, and a smaller demand pump. I would fill from the outside by adding a fill port. I keep the existing tank clean and sanitized but on our last long trip I was adding water to the tank at stops along the way and DW said she was having digestive issues on the latter days of the trip. Is it too much hassle and I should just carry bottled water?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #11
Just Tryin' to Help

We found bottled water was the way to go for us.
We only use the fresh water tank for showers and flushing.
We spend 6 months a year on the road and usually do 25 CGs or more, with that many different water supplies we worried about getting sick, so we decided to use bottles water. We've had no problems in 5 years.
And yes our tank fills really slow also.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 846
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #12

I use a good filter whenever I fill our fresh water tank, including at home. I also have a dedicated hose for this purpose even at home. Even on prolonged trips with filling at multiple locations we have not had any problem. The secret is to place the filter between the faucet and hose; i.e. at the faucet. That keeps the hose from being contaminated. I change the filter every month or so depending on how often it is used.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #13

Soft spot on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Mine was clogged by a dirt dauber best.
Caused tank to swell and buckle floor.
Hi , I was curious about your soft spot on the floor . We have a spot that is buckled . It痴 under the window in the bedroom . Were you able to fix it ?
Mike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #14
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
What do you think about this idea? I am thinking about using half of the unused space under one of the dinette benches to add a 12-15 gallon fresh water tank that we would use only for drinking water. I would fill it at home before leaving. I figure that size tank would last at least 3 weeks if we use it only for drinking water and making coffee. I would install a drinking water faucet at the sink which is just behind the bench, and a smaller demand pump. I would fill from the outside by adding a fill port. I keep the existing tank clean and sanitized but on our last long trip I was adding water to the tank at stops along the way and DW said she was having digestive issues on the latter days of the trip. Is it too much hassle and I should just carry bottled water?
We carry gallon jugs of purified water for drinking and coffee.

Adding a tank of water could affect the weight and balance of your RV. You are talking about 100 - 120 pounds of water to a relatively small area of the RV.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #15

For a MH that weighs 12K+ the additional weight is not much of a concern to me. I do carry gallon jugs of water now but thought it would be a lot less hassle to just have one tank to fill instead of filling multiple jugs or buying jugs of bottled water.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank