Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

First time de winterizing help

We are taking delivery of our new 2017 Vibe 288RLS. It's being delivered to our campground and we know it is still winterized. Do I need to run bleach through the system?
mattstacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

If it has never been sanitized before I would recommend doing that, no matter what you need to flush out all the pink stuff.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
If it has never been sanitized before I would recommend doing that, no matter what you need to flush out all the pink stuff.

When I flush out the system, do I need to do the cold water seperately from the hot water?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

No, but you do need to check and see if they bypassed the hot water heater. Assuming it was Put water in your potable tank and turn on your pump and open your faucets and run until all the pink is gone. once clear turn your pump off and set the bypass valves to normal position put the plug back in the water heater if it was removed and fill the water tank by turning your pump back on. you can remove the air by lifting up on the relief valve or opening your hot water faucet that is farthest from the water heater good luck.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Team

As Sea Dog pointed out, check the winterization bypass/crossover valves to the water heater.

This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Ask the dealer to show you when they deliver it, they should have shown you that during a PDI.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Big, big differences in asking "how is it done" and "show me how it is done". Good luck and happy camping !!!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Make sure not to turn on your electric for your hot water heater until your sure the water tank is filled or you"ll burn up the element. You can open the check valve on the heater to make sure it's full
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Ask the dealer to show you when they deliver it, they should have shown you that during a PDI.

Our RV is being delivered to Pa from Ohio. We live in Ct. We have not seen it yet. They have a company that delivers it. Not sure what they are going to go over with us. Been watching lots of you tube!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As Sea Dog pointed out, check the winterization bypass/crossover valves to the water heater.

This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Thank you MT. Very helpful. It is making sense now.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #11

While you are waiting for delivery of your RV, you have plenty of time to read treads and watch videos on dewinterizing (and winterizing) so you will know as much, if not more, than many of RV industry "representatives" that are supposed to tell (and show) you the acclimatation procedure of the plumbimg circuit.

In general, winterizing/dewinterizing is a DIY procedure that can save you lots of $$$ over the years; specialy if your RV is located/used in cold country.

Oh! Don't forget: the pink stuff (RV antifreeze) can be recycled/reused. When dewinterizing, just collect it (most of it) through the low-point before prceeding the flush with running water and, finally, sanitizing.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstacie View Post
Our RV is being delivered to Pa from Ohio. We live in Ct. We have not seen it yet. They have a company that delivers it. Not sure what they are going to go over with us. Been watching lots of you tube!
Tell them that you require the trailer to be de-winterized and ready to go into summer service since you are not able to do a PDI. (you will want to sanitize still)
The trailer should come that way if they do the standard "dealer PDI" (water pressure test, propane safety check, new battery, full propane, prep and clean)
Also, check plumbing is tight (P-traps) before you run water through it. (sinks and shower)
The delivery guy's job is to back it into where you tell him. They unhitch and drive off.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post

Oh! Don't forget: the pink stuff (RV antifreeze) can be recycled/reused. When dewinterizing, just collect it (most of it) through the low-point before prceeding the flush with running water and, finally, sanitizing.
RV antifreeze is $3.00 a gallon, you should be able to use under 3 gallons to completely winterize your rig with a by-pass kit. Buy fresh antifreeze.
$10 for undiluted RV antifreeze is cheap insurance.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
No, but you do need to check and see if they bypassed the hot water heater. Assuming it was Put water in your potable tank and turn on your pump and open your faucets and run until all the pink is gone. once clear turn your pump off and set the bypass valves to normal position put the plug back in the water heater if it was removed and fill the water tank by turning your pump back on. you can remove the air by lifting up on the relief valve or opening your hot water faucet that is farthest from the water heater good luck.

If I'm hooked up to city water, do I need to fill the potable tank or can I just flush directly with city water inlet?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstacie View Post
If I'm hooked up to city water, do I need to fill the potable tank or can I just flush directly with city water inlet?
Yes, you can flush with city water port. Open the low point drains, and open a faucet to drain antifreeze and recap drains before flushing the lines.

I suggest you fill the fresh water tank and dilute 1/4 cup to 15 gallons of water capacity to sanitize. After flushing the lines of the pink stuff, run the water pump to fill the lines with the bleach solution. Open one faucet at a time until you smell bleach, let it sit for 8 hours.
Drain fresh water, and flush the lines until no bleach smell at faucets. Fill fresh and drain again and you are good to go.

Tags
first time, winter