Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
Exactly how do you run the water pump and the city water at the same time? I tried doing this at home while flushing my lines. Yes, I had water in the fresh water tank and I had the water pump switch on.
I see no reason to attempt to run the pump along with city water. Whichever pressure is higher will reign. Why would you want them both at once? If flushing, run one, then the other.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I see no reason to attempt to run the pump along with city water. Whichever pressure is higher will reign. Why would you want them both at once? If flushing, run one, then the other.
I have read in cases of low water pressure running them both would increase the water pressure.
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #23

Some RV water pumps are under 50 psi . Running both would create a lot of stress on the pump if the water pressure was higher than the pump PsI.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #24

I'm always cautious about water pressure. The system on the internal pump runs about 40 PSI. When we are connected to city water, the first thing connected is the pressure regulator set to 40PSI, then the blue in-line filter, then my hose, and finally the connection to the trailer.

As to running the internal pump with city water connected, if city water pressure drops below the set pressure of the pump, then the pump will cycle on and draw water from the onboard fresh water tank. If the city water pressure is above the set pressure of the onboard pump, then the pump stays off and the check valve prevents city water from back flowing into the freshwater tank.

If you are connected to city water and find your fresh water tank overflowing, likely the backflow valve at the pump has trash in it and thus allows city water to flow into the freshwater tank.

As to hot water, I use the Navy method. Wet the body down, turn off the water, soap the body, turn on the water, and rinse off. I do hair the same way. The wife is very successful in using this method. I've heard no complaints about not having hot water. We heat water with LP only.

Excessive or high water pressure will use more hot water. Thus the reason for 40 PSI.

If one desires a blasting stream of hot water for 30 minutes,........shower at home.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I'm always cautious about water pressure. The system on the internal pump runs about 40 PSI. When we are connected to city water, the first thing connected is the pressure regulator set to 40PSI, then the blue in-line filter, then my hose, and finally the connection to the trailer.

As to running the internal pump with city water connected, if city water pressure drops below the set pressure of the pump, then the pump will cycle on and draw water from the onboard fresh water tank. If the city water pressure is above the set pressure of the onboard pump, then the pump stays off and the check valve prevents city water from back flowing into the freshwater tank.

If you are connected to city water and find your fresh water tank overflowing, likely the backflow valve at the pump has trash in it and thus allows city water to flow into the freshwater tank.

As to hot water, I use the Navy method. Wet the body down, turn off the water, soap the body, turn on the water, and rinse off. I do hair the same way. The wife is very successful in using this method. I've heard no complaints about not having hot water. We heat water with LP only.

Excessive or high water pressure will use more hot water. Thus the reason for 40 PSI.

If one desires a blasting stream of hot water for 30 minutes,........shower at home.

Bob
Or get a unit with on-demand water heater to take as long a shower as you have water
Good advice to not run water pump when connected to city water. If park pressure is low, then unconnect city, fill your fresh tank and run off the pump only. We do it a lot.
One of the best mods we have done was upgrading the original water pump from 3.5gpm/45psi to a 5.5gpm/55psi pump. Better performance all the way around, and quieter. We noticed no increase in water usage while boondocking, still about 65-70 gallons a week for 2 of us (On-demand coupled with Shower Miser). The major water usage is showering daily, but flow (2.0gpm max, 1.6gpm at 55psi) is dictated by the shower head, not the pump.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #26

Think about this...

Quote:

Bob, stop and think about this. If you are running the internal pump with city water connected, and the city water pressure is greater, the differential pressure across the internal pump's check valve is reduced to the difference between the two pressures. That greatly increases the likelihood of unintentionally filling the fresh water tank. Don't do it.
Quote:
And when you want to flush that valve, you will turn off city water and release city water pressure with an open tap, to maximize the flow through the internal pump's check valve when you turn the internal pump on.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
I just got back from our first trip in the new Vibe and I have some questions. I have already figured I would change out the plastic Dometic 300 toilet with a 310 model.

1) Are the A/C vents adjustable (turnable)? One vent blows toward the stove and another blows toward the bedroom shade and it bangs during the night.

2) How would I remove the bedroom sliding door? It is not a pocket door. I want to mount a small television on that wall. It is just my wife and I and we don't plan on closing the door. It would also give me about 2" more space between the door and the bed.
1) They may be turntable.

2) I tied open the bathroom door and bedroom door and removed handles to give more room to pass by. Works for me.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:08 PM   #28

On my sliding bedroom door I had to remove to refasten screws that had let loose from the roller hangers to top of door. Just unscrewed the track, then it dropped enough to where I could finally see what makes the darn thing work. Hard to explain from the installed view.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip, question, questions