Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

I have a 2018 Vibe 268rks that I have only used at full hook up sites. We will be off the grid in two weeks, so I’ll be filling my freshwater tank. I was looking for the overflow tube so I knew when it was full, however I don’t see it under the trailer or I am overlooking it. Can anyone here chime in on the location of it or how you know your tank is full? Thanks!!
Adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #2

Some of them have a little port that is next to the inlet connection. In this picture here you can see it in the upper left hand corner:

The inlet connection will have about a 1 1/2" hose going to the tank, and that little port will have a 1/2" vent line. When the tank gets near full, you will hear gurgling in the inlet connection. Slow down the fill rate when you hear that gurgling. When it is full you will get water both coming back out the inlet connection and also that little port beside the inlet connection.

Or, if your RV is like mine, the builder will have left the hose to the vent port loose and you will flood the compartment behind the connection.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Some of them have a little port that is next to the inlet connection. In this picture here you can see it in the upper left hand corner:

The inlet connection will have about a 1 1/2" hose going to the tank, and that little port will have a 1/2" vent line. When the tank gets near full, you will hear gurgling in the inlet connection. Slow down the fill rate when you hear that gurgling. When it is full you will get water both coming back out the inlet connection and also that little port beside the inlet connection.

Or, if your RV is like mine, the builder will have left the hose to the vent port loose and you will flood the compartment behind the connection.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have a totally different hook up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200729-180124_Chrome.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	235153  
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #4

Are you sure that is your FW tank fill? Anyway.... watch the level indicators and they will at least tell you when you are close to full. Watch your black tank level too....make sure you aren't connected to the blank tank flush!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Are you sure that is your FW tank fill? Anyway.... watch the level indicators and they will at least tell you when you are close to full. Watch your black tank level too....make sure you aren't connected to the blank tank flush!
100% positive. The fresh water tank and the city water hook up are both like this. The black water flush is a brass connection.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
PhD, Common Sense

I assumed that RVs used gravity fill so as not to create a pressurized FW tank during fill. Water falling into a tank with air space around the hose and a pressure relief device built into the port would prevent pressure build-up.

Your connection looks like a city water style connection—which is designed to be part of a pressurized system.

I am scratching my head.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Our connection looks just like yours. On our 282RK, the overflow is under the trailer by the fresh water tank drain tube. It's approximately under the entry door behind the tires (not the most convenient). I just fill it up till the overflow starts dripping out. Make sure you sanitize your fresh water tank if you haven't been using it regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4858.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	235168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4860.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	235169  
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #8

I have a 2021 Vibe 32ms and I don't think mine has an overflow either...well the water didn't come out anywhere other than the inlet fill when I accidently overflowed it this week.

Mine has the vent next to the fill inlet. When I filled again, I had to watch the tank level and listen to the vent gurgling.
Rjmfire682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Our connection looks just like yours. On our 282RK, the overflow is under the trailer by the fresh water tank drain tube. It's approximately under the entry door behind the tires (not the most convenient). I just fill it up till the overflow starts dripping out. Make sure you sanitize your fresh water tank if you haven't been using it regularly.
Thanks!!! I’ll keep an eye when filling as I only see the drain tube coming out of mine.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
FLY4FUN

NavyLCDR wrote: "Or, if your RV is like mine, the builder will have left the hose to the vent port loose and you will flood the compartment behind the connection."

We've had the exact same issue with two RVs over the years. It's "exciting" to find that the overflow has gone into the interior. The lack of "quality control" isn't new...in fact, the terms "quality" and "control" seem almost foreign to the RV mfg. industry in all too many instances.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #11

OXCAMPER , what is the difference between " fresh water connection " and " city water connection " as in your picture ?
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #12

As an aside , I believe every camper owner after filling their tank full should look under your trailer , many will see that their tank desperately needs additional support . Many will sag down to near the axles .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
OXCAMPER , what is the difference between " fresh water connection " and " city water connection " as in your picture ?
I won't answer for oxcamper but on the ones I've seen the city water is just that... a connection to city water. A water source that doesn't require you to use the on-board pump.

The fresh water connection is simply a different type of connection (rather than the gravity fill port) for water to be put into the fresh water tank for use with the on-board pump. Note the decal above about potable water and sanitizing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
As an aside , I believe every camper owner after filling their tank full should look under your trailer , many will see that their tank desperately needs additional support . Many will sag down to near the axles .
Man, that would require me to pull the underbody off to even see the tank.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien View Post
Man, that would require me to pull the underbody off to even see the tank.
Yep. It's really not that bad if self tapping screws were used. I've had mine off several times. I actually cut it into three different sections for easier access to what I want to work on. Gorilla tape works great to tape the seams and any protrusions.
It is truly amazing the things that need fixing/adjusting once you get to looking at everything that is hidden by the coroplast
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank