Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #1

Exclamation HELP! 2016 Vibe 279RBS Furnace Access

Does anyone know how how to get access to the furnace on a Vibe 279RBS? I can not get it to pump out hot air. I have purged the lines, pulled the fuse in the the panel and cycled the thermostat. I am plugged into shore power and have about 12.7v at the battery terminal. My wife and I just bought it and have been turning the heat on every day, we are in Alaska and it has still been in the in the 10's and 20's here, to work getting it ready for the summer and had been working great. Towed it to get new tires on it this weekend, and hasn't worked since. Blower turns on for 30-90 secs and then shuts down.
Scarlits Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

There is a "sail switch" in the path of the blower that must be pushed by blower air to start the propane flowing.

If the blower works and a strong stream of cold air comes out of the registers, then that could be your problem (stuck closed - dust?).

If that switch closes, then my next step would be to look at the gas solenoid stuck closed (a gentle tap might get it to open).

If the air flow is anemic or very low, your blower motor may be bad or there could be bugs that built a nest in the small "hot side" of the heater hot chamber intake. They make cages that go over the holes to keep paper wasps and other flying critters out of the guts.

All of this assumes you can get access to the heater.

I am NOT familiar with your floor plan.

Look for two round 3 inch holes on the outside of camper. They are the air inlet and heat exhaust ports for the furnace. The Furnace is located behind that inside the camper. You may need to remove a panel that is blocking your view of the back of the heater.

Let me know how it goes.

YouTube might have just the video you need.

Sometimes the best course is an RV tech.

Good luck,
Herk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Furnace 001.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	252025   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-855291825.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	252026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Furnace 2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	252027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Motor and Chamber.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	252029  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf suburbantech.pdf (804.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf Suburban Furnace SF-42.pdf (945.6 KB, 37 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

You have really low voltage on your battery. Since this is a 2016... check battery condition, any crud on top of battery, terminals clean, renew connections at frame ground and battery power switch. Now, that you did this, is your converter putting out sufficiently to keep battery up?
In troubleshooting anything, it's from the easiest, most accessible things first...always. pulling furnaces is a pia
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Thanks a lot. It does seem that the sail switch was the problem. A little jarring and a fuse rest later, working like a champ again. And your images helped A LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
There is a "sail switch" in the path of the blower that must be pushed by blower air to start the propane flowing.

If the blower works and a strong stream of cold air comes out of the registers, then that could be your problem (stuck closed - dust?).

If that switch closes, then my next step would be to look at the gas solenoid stuck closed (a gentle tap might get it to open).

If the air flow is anemic or very low, your blower motor may be bad or there could be bugs that built a nest in the small "hot side" of the heater hot chamber intake. They make cages that go over the holes to keep paper wasps and other flying critters out of the guts.

All of this assumes you can get access to the heater.

I am NOT familiar with your floor plan.

Look for two round 3 inch holes on the outside of camper. They are the air inlet and heat exhaust ports for the furnace. The Furnace is located behind that inside the camper. You may need to remove a panel that is blocking your view of the back of the heater.

Let me know how it goes.

YouTube might have just the video you need.

Sometimes the best course is an RV tech.

Good luck,
Herk
Scarlits Journey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, vibe