Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Help with wired for solar

We just got a 2019 Vibe 224 RLS that is ďwired for solarĒ.
The sticker on the wall is from gopower
Iím looking for some advice on wiring this up. I have the gopower solar controller and Iíve opened the wall where it goes. Seem to have red and white wires in place.
Has anyone wired this? The wires are looped together, obviously some go to the plate on the roof. Do they also go to the batteries?

Iím just looking to put 1or2 panes on the roof to keep the batteries topped up while dry camping. I will use my generators for 110.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Just4fun63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Before you purchase anything do some research. As you noticed "solar ready" simply means there is some wiring and a connector. Most solar ready setups are for an integrated solution where the panel has an attached or built in controller. These are quick and easy but not the most economical and efficient for multi-panel installations. In most cases, you are better off purchasing a good controller and good panels and not an integrated solution. I always recommend buying at least one size up on the controller so when you find you want one or two more panels, you do not have to purchase a new controller. I suggest you get a good DC usage monitor and determine your needs before you commit to any additional solar equipment. Good US panels can be had for about $1.00 a Watt. Lots of good solar sites that will allow you to estimate your 12VDC requirements.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

About the only advantage to a "solar ready" feature is that some wires were run to the battery and an external connection point.

No controller!

Unless one purchases the specific setup the unit was pre-wired for, the only thing that will be used are the wires inside, assuming they are adequate in size for your "project".

As Flybob said, the pre-wire is usually for setups like Suitcase Solar units you just plug in, at least for the smaller RV's. These are usually over-priced for what you get.

The Solar Industry had produced lots of quality panels and controllers that can be assembled into a very nice setup, suitcase or roof mounted, for a lot less than pre-assembled (or packaged) units, provided you have basic mechanical/electical skills.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar