Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Low heat

Hi there , 2017 vibe 268rks . It was 0 Celsius last night in northern Ontario . Our furnace was running (all night) but we needed to use our portable heater to make it comfy. Is this normal ? Should I be looking for something wrong ?
Mike
Mike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

How many BTUs is your furnace? Most furnaces "drink" propane rather than "sip" for running continuously with cold nights.
We usually do the same thing, running a separate heating source as well. Typically we also dress a little more in cooler weather for colder camping conditions in the camper.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #3

Sleeping in colder weather takes some practice. First get some good down sleeping bags. I never try to heat the trailer like I would a house. I park the rig with the large windows facing south for solar gain. Making coffee in the morning with propane takes off the morning a chill. A Little Buddy heater works fine for the same thing at night, but I would never sleep with it running. I boondock a lot so running the furnace is not something I normally do, except maybe in the morning if I have power.

Everyone has different ideas about how to camp in cold weather. I grew up as a Road Warrior sleeping in trucks and tents in cold weather. I have slept in the back of a truck with a canopy when it is well below zero at a ski area. It is no big deal with the right equipment.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Sleeping in colder weather takes some practice. First get some good down sleeping bags. I never try to heat the trailer like I would a house. I park the rig with the large windows facing south for solar gain. Making coffee in the morning with propane takes off the morning a chill. A Little Buddy heater works fine for the same thing at night, but I would never sleep with it running. I boondock a lot so running the furnace is not something I normally do, except maybe in the morning if I have power.

Everyone has different ideas about how to camp in cold weather. I grew up as a Road Warrior sleeping in trucks and tents in cold weather. I have slept in the back of a truck with a canopy when it is well below zero at a ski area. It is no big deal with the right equipment.
Now that's one tough son of a gun. I wish I could do that. Maybe once upon a time but those days are over for me.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

I have a 2018 268RKS, original owner, and actually thought there was a problem with the air flow coming from the furnace - seems a lot more flow was being pushed to the bedroom and bathroom vs. the living room and kitchen. Turns out, by design, heat is also directed to the underside to keep the belly warm resulting in less flow to the living room and kitchen. I bought floor registers to replace the original grates, which helps slow the flow in the bedroom. Like others, I also have a space heater to help balance the zones.
NWForester is offline   Reply With Quote