Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #1

Odor under bathroom and kitchen sink

Being an RV newbie and only about 4 months into the RV lifestyle, I've finally run into an issue that I'm not familiar with completely. I've scoured the forums and found a ton of threads about "rotten egg" smell and sanitizing/flushing system, replacing anode rod and checking water source. We'll I've done all the above and still have a smell, although it's not quite "rotten egg" smell.

The smell is displeasing for sure but once the under sink doors are closed, the odor is almost completely gone. I'm really at a loss as to how to rid the entire smell but kind of dumbfounded here. Any help or pointing in the correct location is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #2

Quick update here:

I've started running my water heater on propane and turned the electric heat off. There is now no smell under the kitchen sink or bathroom sink. We also have a portable washer we use to in our shower and when we plug that in and start using it that smell reoccurs under the bathroom sink area. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the electrical however, we have no other signs of electrical issues when connected to shore power.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #3

Research 'air admittance valve'. It usually lives under your sink. Sounds like you have all the classic symptoms.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Research 'air admittance valve'. It usually lives under your sink. Sounds like you have all the classic symptoms.
Fully agree and it's one of the few items that is so cheap I'd legitimately recommend just replacing it as a troubleshooting step.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip! I do have an air admittance valve under my bathroom sink that I can replace but did not find one under the kitchen sink which is near the hot water heater. I'll replace the air admittance valve in the bathroom to eliminate that as a source. I'm still skeptical that is the culprit since I have the same odor under the kitchen sink as well that does not have an air admittance valve.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #6

what is the year of your camper? If several years old, you may need to drain and flush your water heater out (Propane and electric off). There may be a calcium build up in there that needs flushed out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #7

check for any water damage / mold on floors etc
Old 08-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
what is the year of your camper? If several years old, you may need to drain and flush your water heater out (Propane and electric off). There may be a calcium build up in there that needs flushed out.
Camper is 2018. I did a full system flush and sanitization about a week ago. Pulled the anode rode and also flushed out with a wand. Some sediment came out but nothing too disgusting. I swapped out the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. Cleaned out the filter on the water pump as well.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
check for any water damage / mold on floors etc
I've checked for water damage/mold but found nothing. No warping, no staining and double checked tightness of all fittings.

Tags
bathroom, roo, sink