Old 03-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #1

Picked up our 2020 26RK Yesterday

I've been sitting here debating on this post.

Bottom line... A really nice rig, with a really nice design (for the most part), with quality parts, slapped together.

The Good:
  • The dealer. There were a lot of little things during the walk-through, and they addressed them all. I'm still awaiting a couple of things, but all-in-all, we got a good deal and the dealer is taking care of us.
  • The Fridge. Much to my surprise, after being told by multiple people otherwise, the Fridge IS a 120V and Gas.
  • Another surprise was the tank heaters.
  • The bed is MUCH better than I expected.
  • Handling on the road is much better than I expected, although I may look into adding an additional sway bar. A Fastway E2 anti-sway was installed, but our Armada is pretty short compared to a 35 foot long (yeah 26RK is 26 foot my butt). Our previous rig was actually about 1000 lbs more weight, and I hardly knew it was back there, but.. it was 5 feet shorter.

The What were they thinking:
  • No felt pads on the bottom of the recliners (easily added).
  • An entertainment system that is only wired to feed the TV, soooo if I were to plug a Chromecast in or a blueray player, or even just watching broadcast TV, there is no way to hook it back to the stereo. (solved with a D/A converter that will plug in the AUX-in for the entertainment system).
  • We got the option with the Dinette benches rather than the chairs.. while it was put together in such a shoddy way that I spent this afternoon rebuilding it because I FELL THROUGH THE SEAT !!!! I will be making a mod to the backrest because if any adult leans back, it will break. (see pics below)
  • Lovely awning (remains to be seen as our old one from 1991 could withstand a 35 mph gust. I doubt this once can.
  • Speaking of Awnings... can't open the door all the way because awning bracket is in the way....
  • and a final What on the awning... no "stop" when putting out the awning so if you keep your finger on the bottom, it will roll out, then roll back up again with the awning on the wrong side of the roller. Seriously..
  • I was really surprised at how much plumbing, gas line, and electric was exposed underneath. In our old rig, the barrier concealed all of that. Looking underneath, there was nothing to see. I think once a season I'm going to have to crawl underneath and make sure all the spots where pipes and such pass through the barrier are still sealed. They did a nice job of gooping... but it just seems like it would have been easier to conceal everything and not have to worry about it. I will do something about the exposed 12V terminal block... that's just wrong.
  • The "Vibe" logo on the back is seriously crooked.

Well that's all I have for now.. Just wanted to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_143926.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	224552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_144005.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	224553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_144031.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	224554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_152644.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	224555  

Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new rig. Sounds like the good outweighs the bad.

Hope you get to do lots of camping.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

So I'll continue the good vs bad trend..

Good:
  • I like that the vent in the bathroom can be set to automatically turn on the fan at a set speed. A little thing but clever.
  • The tank heater switches aren't labeled, but as it turns out, one of the switches may be for accent lights in the outdoor speakers??

Bad:
  • The hot water heater was percolating so I had to drain the crud out. I know they tested it.. but I guess there was crud in the water.
  • The locks on the outside access panels were installed all different. Some key in verticle, some horizontal etc.. I made them all the same.
  • Added a grommet to the hole behind the TV. Even found a brown one to somewhat match the wallpaper.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #4

I'm hoping any issues we may find on delivery a few and easily taken care of. I have to trust the dealership to do me right, lots of pictures so I can take as close of an examination as possible without being there to physically see the new trailer. They are having it towed across the country to me. I'll know now to make sure I get some good views of underneath the trailer as well as under the bed, and all the trim, etc. And the dinette area as well. I opted for the same set up as you. As far as your tow rig, I found a set of Firestone Air Springs really help a lot. Pretty easy to install. Helps the stability considerably and cuts down any porpoising on rougher roads. I bought mine for my Tundra for less than $350 and it took me a couple of hours to install them. This trailer is a few feet longer and 1000 lbs more in weight than the 31 foot long bunkhouse I had been towing very easily. I like your idea of gluing felt pads to the recliner feet. Hope yours serves you well, and hoping the same for mine. I think I will have the dealer shoot me video of my awning being operated to its out stop and then back. What you described should not be happening, and I am quite sure it is adjustable, somehow.
CSchlegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

I suggest, although you have a new unit, you may want to remove the water heater element and see if it has crud on it as well. If so, look in paint dept. at Home Depot and get one of the small brass brushes. Use that to get the crud off. And I would recommend doing that each year when you check the anode rod. That will extend the life of both parts.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
I suggest, although you have a new unit, you may want to remove the water heater element and see if it has crud on it as well. If so, look in paint dept. at Home Depot and get one of the small brass brushes. Use that to get the crud off. And I would recommend doing that each year when you check the anode rod. That will extend the life of both parts.
The anode rod was clean, it's part of the drain plug, but excellent tip.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchlegel View Post
I'm hoping any issues we may find on delivery a few and easily taken care of. I have to trust the dealership to do me right, lots of pictures so I can take as close of an examination as possible without being there to physically see the new trailer. ...... I found a set of Firestone Air Springs really help a lot.
Yes, best of luck. I can't blame any of the things I found on our Dealer. The stuff I've mentioned in this thread was all found after a 4-hour PDI once we got home and started to use it in our driveway. Honestly, there's only so much a Dealer can do. Thankfully, nothing except the bench was an actual issue.

Regarding the hitch, I emailed Fastway E2. I just need to add a washer to add a bit more angle to the ball that will add a wee more pressure on the arms. I don't have any porpoising, just sway due to the giant wall I'm pulling.

Oh, and the solution for the bench.. 1/2" ply and Liquid Nails. I got the box back together as best I could and ran a bead of Liquid Nails all the way around and on each crossmember. Put down the 1/2" ply and nailed it in place. Yes I realize I can no longer lift it up to look in the drawer... but... it's a drawer I can just open it. I didn't nail/glue the rear bench, as it's supported by the outside wall, so I just dropped the 1/2" ply into place. The whole thing feels so much more sturdy and comfortable now. As a final dressup touch, I ran a strip of Brown InstaTrim down the seam where the back meets the outside wall on the couch side. Gives it a nice finished look.