Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #1

Pull out Dinette drawer improvement?

Has anyone come up with a good way to get these drawers to slide easily? 308BHS, but sure they're all the same. I originally thought I would just mount full extension slides...but I see you have to lift and pull out, so they stay put during travel. Open for suggestions - they are a pain as is!
54GFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:10 AM   #2

Pull out Dinette drawer improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54GFL View Post
Has anyone come up with a good way to get these drawers to slide easily? 308BHS, but sure they're all the same. I originally thought I would just mount full extension slides...but I see you have to lift and pull out, so they stay put during travel. Open for suggestions - they are a pain as is!

LOL! Yes they are. Made of cheap inexpensive materials. To make them work smoother, take them out, sand the runners and bottom edges of drawers, then use a paste wax on both. The drawers stops need to stay there to prevent them from opening. If you really want new drawer slides, you can invest in self closing type. The problem will be you'll have to re work the cabinet so you can mount all that hardware.
mattstacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #3

Great feedback, thanks!! I'll be getting the sander out this week to give it a shot!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

I would only hand sand them. An electric sander may be too aggressive.
mattstacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstacie View Post
LOL! Yes they are. Made of cheap inexpensive materials. To make them work smoother, take them out, sand the runners and bottom edges of drawers, then use a paste wax on both. The drawers stops need to stay there to prevent them from opening. If you really want new drawer slides, you can invest in self closing type. The problem will be you'll have to re work the cabinet so you can mount all that hardware.
Has those kind of drawers in a very old style camper years ago.
As mattstacie and others have said, pull the drawers out, hand sand with fine sand paper and wax ~ we used bowling alley paste wax.
Worked like a charm and the need to lift to open wasn't a big deal for us.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #6

Are you referring to the big drawer under the seat? I sanded and waxed as mentioned above, but also added guides to keep the drawer sliding strait. They are simply 2x2s screwed to the floor on each side of the drawer. They help a lot.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Thanks all. I've got it in storage now, but will be pulling it home for some mods this week. Like the idea additional runners too. Will check it out when I can get a visual.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Are you referring to the big drawer under the seat? I sanded and waxed as mentioned above, but also added guides to keep the drawer sliding strait. They are simply 2x2s screwed to the floor on each side of the drawer. They help a lot.

Another option is is the mod I made: I took the door and flipped it upside down! Works wonderful now, and doesn't keep falling down!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6601.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	142824
LA_RV_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #9

LA RV Guy... what are you talking about. They are talking about the drawer under the dinette seats... what's with the photo of the sofa drawer
southpaw821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

My hubby took the drawer out and attached a long piece of thin teflon to each of the bottom sides that it travels on. Works much better now!
pruys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Has those kind of drawers in a very old style camper years ago.

As mattstacie and others have said, pull the drawers out, hand sand with fine sand paper and wax ~ we used bowling alley paste wax.

Worked like a charm and the need to lift to open wasn't a big deal for us.

How often do you use the wax?

2017 Vibe 268RKS
2018 Ram 2500
pbbandpab is offline   Reply With Quote