Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 10:03 PM   #1

RV "Carport" for 268RKS and more

We have to make a RV carport for our vehicles, including the subject TT.
We pull with a F350 Dually, have a TJ, Grand caravan and Prius.

My question for anyone who may have experienced this setup:

Will our trailer backed into an 18x46x12 RV carport allow us to park our dually next to it (& I can still get out)?

Joshua trees in other locations of our yard will not allow us a wider unit....
weRhappycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #2
Retired Army MSG!

I have a 12 wide by 36 long and 16 high. 18 wide may be cutting it close. The width of my carport is measured from outside of the poles. I have about 1.5 to 2 feet of clearance on each side of my 5vr when backed in. I cannot deploy the Moryde steps to get into the unit while parked under the carport. With the width of your dually and your rig, you will be pushing it to the limit in my opinion.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I have a 12 wide by 36 long and 16 high. 18 wide may be cutting it close. The width of my carport is measured from outside of the poles. I have about 1.5 to 2 feet of clearance on each side of my 5vr when backed in. I cannot deploy the Moryde steps to get into the unit while parked under the carport. With the width of your dually and your rig, you will be pushing it to the limit in my opinion.
You provided an answer that I predicted... While I do not foresee opening any slides etc while under the shade, I will need to enter and exit the vehicle next to it.
The sun is just so damning out here in the CA desert; it will ruin all our vehicles' paints.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by weRhappycampers View Post
The sun is just so damning out here in the CA desert; it will ruin all our vehicles' paints.
That's why they have covered storage areas in Houston. I cringe everytime I pay the storage bill, but it's the only way to keep our rig from deteriorating. The rest of the vehicles get waxed frequently.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #5

I have a building that I purchased from Carports.com. They can be upgraded to meet building codes for your particular areas. Mine has been through 90 mph winds without issue. I'm not sure if anything has changed with them since it's been 8 years since I put up the building, but worth a search. I keep my Fifth Wheel, truck, and boat inside. Saves them from the brutal Colorado high altitude sun.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #6
MCTroy

Our RV port is 18 ft wide by 40 Ft. We really wish we had gone 20 ft wide. Our Windjammer is 35 ft long. But I like thec3 slides out fir stocking, cleaning and maintenance. At 18 ft. We can just get them out with a walk way on one side only. With the slides closed and careful parking we can get a small car in beside it. No room to walk around though.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Our RV port is 18 ft wide by 40 Ft. We really wish we had gone 20 ft wide. Our Windjammer is 35 ft long. But I like thec3 slides out fir stocking, cleaning and maintenance. At 18 ft. We can just get them out with a walk way on one side only. With the slides closed and careful parking we can get a small car in beside it. No room to walk around though.
Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately our project has hit a brick wall. The Joshua Tree takes precedence over anything around here and no building will be permitted at least until 10 May, when California "Fish & Game" takes over permitting. We're doomed.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
MCTroy

Would they allow a temp structure? Our neighbor put up a canopy for his boat and it looks nice. No permit needed since it can be removed.
Good luck.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Would they allow a temp structure? Our neighbor put up a canopy for his boat and it looks nice. No permit needed since it can be removed.
Good luck.
Yes, they would allow, however, a temporary structure for a 34' trailer is hard to find...