Old 04-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #1

Should I blow water out of lines???

Our tempatures drop to 28 degrees tonight.we will be in a freeze warning till 10 a.m. tomorrow. Should I blow water out of lines again or should I be ok. It's in the 60's today and tomorrow will be in the high 50's

jsfamcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you currently camping, or is it in storage?

If storage, sure, blow out the lines, and just leave them empty until your next trip.

If camping, then you can either:

a) If full hookups, open the grey drain, leave a tap slightly running. Moving water has a higher kinetic energy than still water, so it doesn't freeze as easily.

b) Partially fill the FW tank, disconnect the hose and drain it, run off the tank if water needed. Place a treble light (incandescent, not LED), open access panels or find other ways to provide a little extra heat to the plumbing.

or

c) With that kind of range from 60 to 28 back to 50, it'll probably only be under freezing for a short period of time, chances of it actually freezing is minimal, so not worry about it.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #3

We are not camping we have been out once in March this is first freezing temps we have got since then
Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

I'll blow out this evening thank you
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you leave some heat on in the R/V?
One night at 28ļ isn't much to worry about if you can keep some heat in there.

If not able to keep warm then definitely protect somehow.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Not able to heat I'll blow out this evening after work
Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #7

Rather be safe then sorry
Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We generally don't blow lines when we have temps in 40's during the day and below freezing overnight. I know both my brothers have dewinterized and we will have temps dip down in the upper 20's all week, highs in 40's. I would have, but it's been raining almost every day for the past month (so it seems).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

We had a dip just like that a few weeks back. I didnít blow out the lines. When I checked on it that morning, there was still water, not frozen, still resting on the ledge of the city connection panel. This told me - no worries possible on the inside!
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #10

I personally do not trust blowing out the lines. There are places, like the toilet valve, where water can collect and not be blown out. Thatís just me!
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowman View Post
I personally do not trust blowing out the lines. There are places, like the toilet valve, where water can collect and not be blown out. Thatís just me!
two person job. I have my wife step on the lever while I turn the air on. I do each different faucet just like a zone on a sprinkler system.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

The wife and I just blew them out. We did it like we did before winter so hopefully no issues
Old 04-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
two person job. I have my wife step on the lever while I turn the air on. I do each different faucet just like a zone on a sprinkler system.

I just hook up to the regulated side of the compressor, and set it to about 60 PSI. Leave compressor running and then go around opening faucets, flushing toilets, etc...

I start furthest out and work my way back to the city connection. Then I go back and do them all again just to be sure itís all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowman View Post
However, this is kind of true too. Blowing out the lines doesnít get the water out of the water pump. If youíre doing a full winterization up here in the north, you want to run anti-freeze through the system to displace that water too.

But, in the OPís case, where itís only going to dip slightly below for a short period of time, the likelihood of the minimal water left in the pump freezing within that short period of time.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #14

We have never used the pump. haven't had water in water tank in over a year. We have always used city hook ups.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
We generally don't blow lines when we have temps in 40's during the day and below freezing overnight. I know both my brothers have dewinterized and we will have temps dip down in the upper 20's all week, highs in 40's. I would have, but it's been raining almost every day for the past month (so it seems).
You are right! We are nearby and have a new pond in our backyard. It isn't supposed to be there but the dogs love it.
Since I got a little over anxious and dewinterized weeks ago, we have a electric heater on in the trailer. I have it on a timer to run at night as the temps drop. So far so good. I cleared 2 inches if snow off yesterday to find the trailer a nice 62 degrees inside. I also have the tank heaters on. We are so ready for spring!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #16

I had the fresh water toilet coupling develop a crack from one night at 25 degrees in my Forest River 2300 motor home.
Your mileage may differ.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
Ham Call N8SAC

You can probably get by with blowing out lines. But I never blow them out always use anti freeze. Takes about 10 min and less than $10 to be sure.

Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water