Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Stone chipping on front of Vibe 268 RKS

Now that my first full season is over with my new Vibe, I have been noticing a lot of stone chipping on the dark brown painted nose of the trailer. I added mud flaps to my truck right away but it didnt help. I checked out a new 2016 268RKS and noticed that they have done a stone guard type of paint on the bottom 5 feet or so of the front of the trailer. That tells me that they are very aware of the issue and are trying to find a solution...

What are you all doing with this issue? Anyone approach Forest River, asking them to repaint the nose with the upgraded stone guard paint? My warranty runs out mid-May so I want to get right on it in the spring.... I can only imagine what a few more years of towing will do to the front end of my trailer.....
Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

I would just goto a bedliner place and have them spray your trailer...probably only cost you a couple hundred dollars and it will even cover over your existing chips.

Win Win
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
I would just goto a bedliner place and have them spray your trailer...probably only cost you a couple hundred dollars and it will even cover over your existing chips.

Win Win
I guess the question is, can they tint the bed liner brown? I think it only comes in black... anyone know? I really like the look of the front of the trailer with the brown and cream. the 2016's are painted in a brown stone guard.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
I guess the question is, can they tint the bed liner brown? I think it only comes in black... anyone know? I really like the look of the front of the trailer with the brown and cream. the 2016's are painted in a brown stone guard.
I have brown bed liner sprayed on the front of my trailer and its a perfect match. A good company should be able to match your color pretty close I would think.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Site Team

I bought some 1/16" aluminum diamond plate and attached it to the front cap of our last RV and it looked factory made.

As for the bedliner paint, most shops can spray custom colors and get it pretty close as mentioned above.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Had anyone approached Forest River about this issue. This is obviously a design/paint flaw.... they corrected the issue with the 2015 model....
Old 01-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

I have the same issue my dealer made touch up paint I just ordered diamond plate Vinyl three feet high by ten feel long for 35.00 looks like the real thing and will also protect the camper

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Now that my first full season is over with my new Vibe, I have been noticing a lot of stone chipping on the dark brown painted nose of the trailer. I added mud flaps to my truck right away but it didnt help. I checked out a new 2016 268RKS and noticed that they have done a stone guard type of paint on the bottom 5 feet or so of the front of the trailer. That tells me that they are very aware of the issue and are trying to find a solution...

What are you all doing with this issue? Anyone approach Forest River, asking them to repaint the nose with the upgraded stone guard paint? My warranty runs out mid-May so I want to get right on it in the spring.... I can only imagine what a few more years of towing will do to the front end of my trailer.....
How about this;
Chip Guard Products | SEM Products. I believe it's widely distributed.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy clancy View Post
I have the same issue my dealer made touch up paint I just ordered diamond plate Vinyl three feet high by ten feel long for 35.00 looks like the real thing and will also protect the camper

Clancy vibe272bhs
Sounds interesting... do you have a link as to where you ordered this through? That is looking like a really good price!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #10

We've got a 268RKS & same problem. Can't use diamond plate due to the curvature. Dealer said best bet bed was quality spray on liner. Since I'm a fan of LineX, we'll gitter' done with them before the camping season.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

We just purchased a new 2015 308BHS model and it does not have the front protected. I did notice that the 2016 models have a clear vinyl laminate on the front. I am in the printing and sign business so it was not a big deal for us to add the laminate to the front. You can probably contact your local sign shop and ask for and matte or lustre laminate. Same stuff used on car wraps. Hope this helps.

Evolution Printing, Manassas, VA
Design ~ Printing ~ Signs
evoprinting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Stone chipping on front of Vibe 268 RKS

3M makes a "clear bra" product to protect the front ends of cars and trucks. I used to have a Corvette Z06 and had it installed by my local tint shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #13

I would try the 3M clear bra I have not done this to my trailer as yet but my F150 and previous autos have said mods and works well.
BIG PAPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe