Old 09-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Triple towing (truck and two trailers)

So I have looked for a post on this but can't find anything. I called Forest river to ask what the towing capacity of the 21FBS X lite is, I was told that anything on the back bumper besides the spare tire and grill will void the warranty. So I understand that the warranty will be gone on the trailer and some other drive train components. But my question here is has anyone towed anything on it? I have a small UTV with a single axle trailer, combined will weigh less than 800lbs, tongue weight less than 100lbs. Has anyone tried this on their X lite here? Any advice on what to do to reinforce the bumper or if the bumper will hold or if it's just a ludicrous idea will help. Oh yeah my tow vehicle is a 08 Silverado 2500 6.6, so it can handle it... I think...

Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Just about every place that allow triple towing require the first trailer to be a 5th wheel type trailer. So you may not be able to even consider the option

Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1969 View Post
So I have looked for a post on this but can't find anything. I called Forest river to ask what the towing capacity of the 21FBS X lite is, I was told that anything on the back bumper besides the spare tire and grill will void the warranty. So I understand that the warranty will be gone on the trailer and some other drive train components. But my question here is has anyone towed anything on it? I have a small UTV with a single axle trailer, combined will weigh less than 800lbs, tongue weight less than 100lbs. Has anyone tried this on their X lite here? Any advice on what to do to reinforce the bumper or if the bumper will hold or if it's just a ludicrous idea will help. Oh yeah my tow vehicle is a 08 Silverado 2500 6.6, so it can handle it... I think...
As far as I know Texas is the only state that allows triple combo, where both trailers can be bumper hitch... if you live in another state then as stated you can not pull 2 trailers with out the first trailer being a 5th wheel... and some states require endorsement on your license to pull 2 trailers or a motorhome with 3 axles or over certain weight. Some states will not allow any double trailer pulling... Alabama is one of them.

Check your state laws.

An answer to your question is, I would have class 2 hitch bolted/welded to the frame. Most of the 2 inch hitch receivers that are added to a trailer are only rated for 200 to 400 lbs of weight, i.e. Generator, bicycle rack, ladders, and such!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I checked the laws, there's only 4 states that need it to be a 5th wheel, the rest are not specific only length restrictions. I live in Oklahoma and this would be to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona, Arizona being the only state I have read on their site that it requires the second vehicle to be a 5th wheel.

I will definitely look into that, I might just weld a thicker 4 inch bumper to my trailer since the one on it it's really flimsy. Thank you for the input guys. Anyone else willing to chime in with photos (photos are always great). I did see a Vibe, not a Vibe x lite, today with a bike rack on the back. I'll post my modification and see if it feels safe or not. I really didn't want to load it in the truck as it gets rid of the bed space in the truck but that might be the route to take.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

PA does not allow double towing unless it is a commercial truck with a 5th wheel or converter dolly.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Yeah not planning to go across the country with this set up haha. This is a short guideline, not the actual laws, but there's a lot of states that permit triple towing, and only few specify you need the first towed vehicle to be a 5th wheel. Either way, this is going to happen, just cannot go to certain places

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php
Old 09-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Yeah not planning to go across the country with this set up haha. This is a short guideline, not the actual laws, but there's a lot of states that permit triple towing, and only few specify you need the first towed vehicle to be a 5th wheel. Either way, this is going to happen, just cannot go to certain places

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php
I can tell you for a fact that that list is not right there are more states that require the lead trailer ro be a fifth wheel type.

Never trust those websites the only accurate sore is the states dmv/dot
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I checked the laws, there's only 4 states that need it to be a 5th wheel, the rest are not specific only length restrictions. I live in Oklahoma and this would be to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona, Arizona being the only state I have read on their site that it requires the second vehicle to be a 5th wheel.

I will definitely look into that, I might just weld a thicker 4 inch bumper to my trailer since the one on it it's really flimsy. Thank you for the input guys. Anyone else willing to chime in with photos (photos are always great). I did see a Vibe, not a Vibe x lite, today with a bike rack on the back. I'll post my modification and see if it feels safe or not. I really didn't want to load it in the truck as it gets rid of the bed space in the truck but that might be the route to take.
I agree... I think there is a whole lot more states require the first trailer to be a 5th wheel. Granted the DMV/DOT is hard to understand the combination you can pull, I would call the state Police/Highway Patrol you plan to travel thru and ask what combination you can pull.
Check with your local state about endorsements, you might not need one but other states require it.
If you state requires an RV/Non-Commericial endorsement and you do not get one, a lot of states require it i.e. California can make you 1) not let you drive away or 2) disconnect the second trailer before driving away!! Besides giving you a ticket!

CHP love to sit outside a OHV off road site and pull over all of the 3 axle toyhaulers to check and see if they have the Endorsement, and in California if you don't, they may tow your vehicle unless you can get someone that has a Non-Commercial endorsement or a Commercial License to drive your rig away!
Most of time just write you a ticket!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

In Illinois, the 2nd vehicle has to be a 5th wheel:
(5) Recreational vehicles consisting of 3 vehicles,

provided the following:
(A) The total overall dimension does not exceed

60 feet.
(B) The towing vehicle is a properly registered

vehicle capable of towing another vehicle using a fifth-wheel type assembly.
(C) The second vehicle in the combination of

vehicles is a recreational vehicle that is towed by a fifth-wheel assembly. This vehicle must be properly registered and must be equipped with brakes, regardless of weight.
(D) The third vehicle must be the lightest of the

3 vehicles and be a trailer or semitrailer designed or used for transporting a boat, all-terrain vehicle, personal watercraft, or motorcycle.
(E) The towed vehicles may be only for the use of

the operator of the towing vehicle.
(F) All vehicles must be properly equipped with

operating brakes and safety equipment required by this Code, except the additional brake requirement in subdivision (C) of this subparagraph (5).
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:

Arkansas allows triple towing.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

You can buy a trucker's atlas and it will list ALL of the info you need. Federal guidelines, state guidelines, different combos, lengths, etc.

Federal laws apply to every state as long as you stay on interstates.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

Not sure why anyone would want to do this. It seems to be very unsafe. If someone just has to have some other toy with them, tow it with another vehicle. I have seen it and I always avoid them like the plague. Always wonder if they can actually stop in a reasonable distance and if they can control fish-tailing. To me, it is just asking for problems and if there is an accident - well, I can only imagine that things will not go well in court.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Lets see,the MFG said it is Bad for the Trailer,some States say NO,and the OP has said they are Still going to do it! So what else can be Questioned? The Only thing I Question is,if a Truck towing 2 trailers is "Triple Towing" is the Truck by itself a "Double Tow"? Youroo!!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #14

Michigan requires second unit to be a 5th wheel, and you need a license endorsement to do it.

Under Section 721 of the Michigan Vehicle Code, pickup trucks equipped with a fifth-wheel assembly may, with certain restrictions, tow two trailers. This double trailer combination is sometimes called a recreational double.
Drivers must pass a knowledge test to receive their recreational double endorsement.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
TGR

Minnesota allows a tractor-trailer rig to have a second trailer but an RV setup requires a 5th wheel trailer as the first trailer. There are several other restrictions.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/oversize/3VehCombo.pdf

Unless you are careful, you can easily think you are reading about an RV rig when you are actually reading about a commercial tractor-trailer rig.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Most TT bumpers are only rated to about 300-400 lbs so attaching to the bumper will not work. If you are going to do this I would suggest having a professional weld a hitch to the TT frame. Again, be aware your trailer is not rated for this but if you are going to do it, this is the safer way. I would also double check with each states dmv/dot to see what is considered legal.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #17

Well I saw a Harley pulling Doubles at the campground where we stayed last week. sorry i didn't get a picture of it but he got away before i could.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #18

Double towing from Az to Utah

I double tow behind my Silverback 31LSA a Rzr 800 on an aluminum trailer. The truck knows it's back there, but never a problem stopping. You see this combo in Az., Nev., and Utah all the time. In Utah I've seen every combo of rigs double towing including jeeps behind bumper pull trailers. With a light weight trailer frame a good welder/frabricator is a must.[/LIST]
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #19
MCTroy

Used to could

A few years ago my folks towed their 16 foot fishing boat behind a heavy 26 foot TT. Tow vehicle was a solid beefed up 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. They didn't break any speed records but never had a problem . mostly country roads in Ohio. Just had to be less than 63 long. Like my dear old Dad told me, Don't worry about what's behind you. It will follow where that truck goes. And if something falls off, some one will let you know! Just keep on trucking'!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

A few weeks ago I saw my first double tow (rv) out our way. I was shocked they made it to us and were not picked off crossing the state. They had OK tags if I remember right.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer, truck