Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Upgrade to porcelan toilet

I currently have a plastic Dometic toilet in the 2016 Vibe 322 QBH. I'm looking to replace it with a porcelain model from Dometic. It's held on with two (2) flange bolts on the base. Is it as simple as lifting off the old one and replacing it with the same size base and reconnect the water hose? Does it use a wax ring like a residential toilet? And finally are there any "unexpected surprises" associated with an RV trailer that I am overlooking? This seems like a simple replacement but thought I would inquire to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Mike
msimonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimonelli View Post
I currently have a plastic Dometic toilet in the 2016 Vibe 322 QBH. I'm looking to replace it with a porcelain model from Dometic. It's held on with two (2) flange bolts on the base. Is it as simple as lifting off the old one and replacing it with the same size base and reconnect the water hose? Does it use a wax ring like a residential toilet? And finally are there any "unexpected surprises" associated with an RV trailer that I am overlooking? This seems like a simple replacement but thought I would inquire to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Took me all of 10 minutes to do mine. This was the first mod I did when I got my camper, and I'd do it again!

It doesn't use a wax ring, but there is a rubber gasket which basically does the same job. two nuts off the carriage bolt and you can probably reuse the bolt.

One thing to look at... my plastic toilet (Thetford) had its water supply come up and go straight into the toilet (vertically oriented connection).

The new toilet (also a Thetford) had a horizontal connection, lower down. So I had to a) cut the pex pipe shorter and b) run to home depot to pick up a 90 degree elbow to go from the pipe into the new toilet. I used the push-on style connector, so the actual installation of that takes no time at all.

So you may just want to scope out how the plumbing might need to be modified for your new toilet.

Good luck

Tags
upgrade