Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

What's the scoop with the tv antenna?

Hey folks. Maiden voyage went pretty well except for a leak under the bathroom sink. Thanks all for the tips on the hot water switch.

Next question. The tv antenna. I have a 2013 6504. Is that an HD antenna? Nothing in the manuals. If not, it can't be worth much as there are no longer VHF/UHF channels, correct?

Can you hook up an HD antenna? I do see a little power button on that wall where the tv would mount. What does that do? Thanks! I have not bought a flat screen for it yet. Not sure I will.
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2

There are lots of free over the air HD channels out there, depending on your area, (I am not saying they are very good, but hey, theyr'e free)and YES, your antenna is an HD antenna. The little green power button should be on anytime you watch tv, this is a power booster- (although not much). You should have a Winegard HD "batwing" antenna, it will need to be raised up and turned in the best direction for a good signal. Don't forget to lower it back down before you leave a campground! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownvibe View Post
Hey folks. Maiden voyage went pretty well except for a leak under the bathroom sink. Thanks all for the tips on the hot water switch.

Next question. The tv antenna. I have a 2013 6504. Is that an HD antenna? Nothing in the manuals. If not, it can't be worth much as there are no longer VHF/UHF channels, correct?

Can you hook up an HD antenna? I do see a little power button on that wall where the tv would mount. What does that do? Thanks! I have not bought a flat screen for it yet. Not sure I will.
I don't think there is such an antenna as a HD antenna. There are however HD tv's to receive the signal from the antenna and display the signal in HD.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Remember the TV converter boxes the government was sending out to all TV sets that were not DIGITAL TUNERS? The antennas changed when that upgrade changed, and nobody can sell those TV's or antennas anymore. I previously said HD, I meant to say DIGITAL airwaves, although some Digital free channels are in fact HD, depending on where you live. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I don't think there is such an antenna as a HD antenna. There are however HD tv's to receive the signal from the antenna and display the signal in HD.
From a broadcast engineer, that is correct. HD is another way of broadcasting but the HD channels are basically in the same frequency group as the old analog channels thence the antennas you need are the same. I hate it when I see commercials for HD antennas saying they are special for HD tv when it is nothing more than a plain old antenna. Now there is a difference in some HD signals because some are in the old VHF band and some HD signals are in the UHF band. The add on to the Wineguard bat wing antennas help bring in the UHF HD channels since the Wineguard is lacking in that area of frequency coverage.

BTW, FM signals are between TV channels 6 and 7 so any antenna used for VHF TV will work great for FM radio.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
Site Team

I installed a TV from Costco and usually can get over-the-air channels. I also added the Wingman to the antenna and now the stations are clearer. While I have HD equipment at home I don't even brother with HD stations so I'm not able to answer your question.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

ptownvibe, turn your TV on and push the button for the booster the light will be on then use the menu and do a auto scan for channels. Every time you change your location to a different town you need to repeat the process. And do not forget to crank up your antenna and back down when traveling.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Remember the TV converter boxes the government was sending out to all TV sets that were not DIGITAL TUNERS? The antennas changed when that upgrade changed, and nobody can sell those TV's or antennas anymore. I previously said HD, I meant to say DIGITAL airwaves, although some Digital free channels are in fact HD, depending on where you live. Randy
Not true. What changed is how the signal is packaged that rides on the UHF/VHF frequencies. It was analog before and digital now. The frequencies have not changed at all.

In fact, there are VHF digital and UHF digital channels broadcasting HD content.

Here is a printout of the VHF and UHF channels in the Tampa area and the direction to the transmitter towers from MacDill AFB FAMCAMP.

The "Wingman" will make your UHF antenna (located in the white box of your roof antenna) directional and will boost the gain to allow you to get the same reception distance on UHF digital that you are getting on VHF digital.

Channel 3.1 is VHF and channel 30.3 is UHF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	54994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite Wide angle.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	54995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	54996   Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	54997  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
BTW, FM signals are between TV channels 6 and 7 so any antenna used for VHF TV will work great for FM radio.
I've gotta review my frequencies list. I thought the FM radio band was over channel 13. Either way, I agree on TV antennas being useful for FM Radio.

Edit: Ok, a quick Wiki check (TV Channel Frequencies) proves I've lost my mind....
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #10

Your antenna is capable of receiving HD channels and the current flat panel TVs are able to display the signal without a decoder.
AntennaWeb - Home has some good references for getting started. I have an app on my smartphone that can tell me the best direction to point the antenna and find I can get up to 20 channels in my driveway including a few I don't get on FIOS at home.
You may want to see if you have a signal booster. If TV is important a booster would probably help in a lot of areas.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

Any UHF/VHF TV antenna will pick up HD but pointing the antenna is much more critical than with the old analog. With analog a weak signal would still be displayed. With the new ATSC digital transmission the carrier is the same but the digital signal that rides on it requires a certain signal level to be detected by the receiver to be displayed. If the signal is weak unlike analog you will not get a picture. If your TV has a turning meter it is much easier to adjust the antenna for maximum signal. Receiving several stations without rotating the antenna is much more difficult unless the transmitting locations are very close together.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Any UHF/VHF TV antenna will pick up HD but pointing the antenna is much more critical than with the old analog. With analog a weak signal would still be displayed. With the new ATSC digital transmission the carrier is the same but the digital signal that rides on it requires a certain signal level to be detected by the receiver to be displayed. If the signal is weak unlike analog you will not get a picture. If your TV has a turning meter it is much easier to adjust the antenna for maximum signal. Receiving several stations without rotating the antenna is much more difficult unless the transmitting locations are very close together.
Antenna Web will not only tell you what heading to point; but actually a ground reference to use to visually aim the antenna.

For folks who have never needed to learn, the Sensar style antennas are pointed like an airplane flying to the transmission tower you want to watch. The white box/leading UHF elements is the cockpit and the VHF "Batwings" are the wings of the plane. For the "Steerable" Jack, the arrow flies to the tower.

If you have a Sensar 3 or earlier, you SHOULD buy the Wingman upgrade if you have room to mount it without hitting something when you retract the antenna. Those leading elements act like a magnifying lens to focus weaker UHF signals onto the "omnidirectional" UHF antenna in the amp box.

Like a magnifying lens, it only works when it is pointed at the tower; just like a light magnifying lens only works when pointed at the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	55033  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 43 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #13

As has been said there is no HD or Digital antenna. There are however better antennas than the Batwing they give you. I have had barely any stations with my batwing, a couple before the switch to digital and none after the switch. I just installed a Jack antenna and i was amazed at how many stations it picked up and how well it held them. In my driveway i was lucky to get maybe 5 stations. After i installed the Jack i got 71! No joke! 71 stations!!!! Granted most of those i will never watch, but they are there now when they weren't before.

I highly recomend the Jack antenna!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #14

Wow thanks everyone!!!
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna