Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

2018-2020 rpod 20v-763 sewer termination recall

There is a recent recall on 2018-2020 rpods for failure of the sewer termination bracket.

I got no notice from forest river or my dealer. My father in law saw it in an rv magazine.

Friday, we were on the road to go camping when another car started honking at me. Our bracket had failed and we had started dragging the sewer line. I was able to replace the bracket with plumbers tape so that we could keep going. It held for 400 more miles. The sewer termination fitting that the hose connects to was worn through, but the gate valve wasn't damaged. I bought a new fitting at camping world for $7 and installed it today after I got home. I used a 4" no hub flexible fitting to cover the connection so that I could dump the tanks.

When we called the dealer on Friday, the service writer hadn't heard anything about the recall even though they sell a lot of rpods.

When you get the recall notice, make sure you get the work done because it does actually fail. Also, always keep plumbers tape with you. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210409_185817746_HDR.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	251768
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

Thanks for the info.

Here's a link to the PDF with more detail:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V763-1607.PDF

Did you add the strapping in the photo or is that the dealer fix?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoemaker View Post
Thanks for the info.

Here's a link to the PDF with more detail:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V763-1607.PDF

Did you add the strapping in the photo or is that the dealer fix?
I added the strapping. Taking it to the dealer at the end of the month.

It was surprising that there was no notification about the recall. When I have a recall on my truck, I get all kinds of letters and postcards reminding me about it.

I didn't even know if it applied to my vin
Old 04-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

Based on the last section of the recall PDF, it certainly seems like they intend to notify owners & dealers - not sure why it hasn't happened yet...
Old 04-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Third-party

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoemaker View Post
Based on the last section of the recall PDF, it certainly seems like they intend to notify owners & dealers - not sure why it hasn't happened yet...
According to the recall notice, Forest River identifies the affected VINs. They send them to an authorized third-party who asks the Departments of Motor Vehicles in all 50 states to identify the owners. So either the third-party or the state's DMV are dragging their feet.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

If it's in OR, the DMV is about 6 months behind, and that's on items that make revenue for them. Would the dealer know if the owner they sold to should be notified? They should have record of all VIN's they sold, but may not get their affected VIN's specific info from FR? Does anyone know if the dealer gets specific VIN's of rigs they sold for recall?
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

I am in CA. The dealer has to have records of every vin they have sold.

Two things I wanted to share from this experience are 1) get the fix because the reason for the recall can actually happen to you (I have never had an issue with a recall problem affect me) and 2) don't wait to get notified by your dealer because they might not keeping up on recalls on a product line they sell a lot of. My dealership only carriers 5 lines of trailers (rpod, surveyor, wolf pup, lance and outdoors rv). They are not a mega dealership that carries 30 lines that they aren't keeping up on.

I have reached out to both the sales department and the warranty contact at forest river. We will see what they say
Old 04-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I am in CA. The dealer has to have records of every vin they have sold.

Two things I wanted to share from this experience are 1) get the fix because the reason for the recall can actually happen to you (I have never had an issue with a recall problem affect me) and 2) don't wait to get notified by your dealer because they might not keeping up on recalls on a product line they sell a lot of. My dealership only carriers 5 lines of trailers (rpod, surveyor, wolf pup, lance and outdoors rv). They are not a mega dealership that carries 30 lines that they aren't keeping up on.

I have reached out to both the sales department and the warranty contact at forest river. We will see what they say
What is interesting is that it says that they told the nhtsa that they would notify owners by jan19th. That date has long come and gone . RCLRPT-20V763-1991 (1).PDF
Old 04-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #9

I contacted my normally very responsible dealer. The warranty nor parts dept.s either one knew of the recall. When provided with the manufacturer recall # 51-1256 and NHTSA recall # 20V-763 they said they'd do some checking and get back to me. Still waiting, but its only been a couple hours.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

Dropped the trailer off yesterday. They have no inventory. Dealership said they haven't gotten a shipment in 9 months. They have she people that ordered months ago that still haven't received theirs.

There was a used 190 in the blue paint scheme that sold for $21k. Last year, i had gotten him down to $17,500 for a new blue 190. I ended up going with a 10th anniversary 189 for $19k. It is crazy how much the pricing went up

Tags
recall