Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Best Generator For R Pod?

Hello to all! We just purchased our first R Pod 177, so far it has meet our expectations and everything works just fine. We are going to get a portable generator and want to make the best decision. Our main goal with it is to be able to run the AC and DVD player at the same time if we need to.
Any input and thoughts are appreciated.
Savagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Do a word search on the forum and you will find more info and opinions than you can handle. The concensus seems to be around at least 3k size and inverter type if you plan to use it in campgrounds.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Is your a/c a 13.5k?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

I just purchased a Champion 3500W Dual Fuel, Electric Start, Inverter generator from Camping world. Less than half the cost of the Honda 3100 Inverter.

My first trip proved it to be a great buy. Nice and quiet, starts my 13.5 AC while idling along on "Eco mode".

Also just found that I can use it at high altitude without having to change carb jet when running on Propane. Yes, power is reduced due to propane and additionally by altitude but not enough to keep my AC from running if I shut off everything else drawing current. Most of my High Altitude camping in the past has been cool enough that A/C is not needed, just battery charging.

The generator will run on propane for battery charging up to 15 hours per 20# tank. I now carry two extra 20 pound tanks.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

It is 13.5 Dan, from what I've read two of the Honda EU2000 linked together seems to be the best way to go.
Savagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

A couple years ago I bought (2) WEN 56200i 2000W which have exact clones of Yamaha engines for $375 each plus $40 30A parallel cable. They are quiet & run over 8 hours on a tank (1 gal?) of gas. I need both to power my 13.5 A/C, electric skillet, or DW's hair dryer but power one down when I don't need it.

The best thing about (2) smaller units is that I can carry one in each hand and load one-at-a-time into the PU truck without help. At home I routinely carry one to the back trees to cut down dead branches with an electric pole chainsaw and/or Sawsall vs. heavier gas chainsaw. Even after sitting all winter they both start on first/second pull which is better than any other small engine I currently own...

I like quality, but didn't get the Honda's because I don't want to be out $2000 if someone steals them...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagec View Post
It is 13.5 Dan, from what I've read two of the Honda EU2000 linked together seems to be the best way to go.
If you want the best, YES.
You only have to take one 50lb Honda, if you won't need to run the a/c.
And moving two 50lb units is easier than one 100lbs+ larger inverter generator.

But Honda has a lot of competition now, for paralleled 2000w inverter generators, that are much cheaper.
Champion, Smarter Tools, Wen, Kipor, Powerhouse, Lifan, to name a few.
Champion is the biggest challenger to Honda and Yamaha and have a great reputation in the RV community,.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
herman

I have to power horses 2000w inverter run them all day of course I ran good no problems purchase at Northern Tool you can buy two of those for the price of one Honda
duanegnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

Another way to go

If you take the A/C and the microwave out of the question you really need very little power to run lights and charge batteries, and watch the TV, maybe in the neighborhood of 500 Watts.

Instead of getting a 3100 Watt inverter style generator consider a 2000 Watt and one of these on your A/C:

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

This will let your A/C start on a fraction of 2000 Watts. The cost is less than a second 2000 Watt generator and doesn't need an oil change

You also don't have to haul it around. I am probably headed this way with my new TT. Watch the videos on their website and you will see why just changing the capacitor in the A/C doesn't get the job done. Looks like nice technology.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #10

The predator 3500 from harbor freight is getting great reviews, people seem to be having good luck with them, check uot some demos and reviews in youtube.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
Multi-Slacker

My son builds marine generators for a living so I asked him his opinion. "Honda" was the answer. I started to ask about other brands and he interrupted and said Honda with a finality that ended that streak of conversation.

He warned me that generators need to be run at least once a month for about an hour. He works for a small company and is the sales/service/shop manager.
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
My son builds marine generators for a living so I asked him his opinion. "Honda" was the answer. I started to ask about other brands and he interrupted and said Honda with a finality that ended that streak of conversation.

He warned me that generators need to be run at least once a month for about an hour. He works for a small company and is the sales/service/shop manager.
With all due respect to your son, many of the generators imported from China are built with Honda "Cloned" engines. May even be "licensed clones" for all I know. My Champion is just such a unit and like all the Honda's I've seen it starts on first pull (2nd pull if it's the first run of the season). My old Champion 3500/4000 looks almost exactly like a Honda 3500 generator only black and yellow paint instead of red. It's been running flawlessly as needed since 2005.

My new 3500w Inverter is a Champion and when you pull the side panel to add/change oil an engine that is a dead ringer for a Honda peeks out at me.

Go over to the Trailer Life forum and there is a thread that started March of 2005 on 3500 W Chinese Generators. Over 10,000 posts later the thread is still active and Champion generators seem to be more than holding their own against Honda's --------- at 1/2 the price.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying twice as much if I was getting twice the benefit. Based on historical performance of the "Honda Clones" one can save money and still get a great generator.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #13

If you want the best in every functional category, get a Honda. They have proven longevity, reliability, and a fuel pump, that the clones don't have. That's why every generator is compared to them. They also actually put out the power they claim to, unlike the clones.

Champions do seem like they are better than most clones, and when the ones my friends own last more than three seasons, I might consider them if I ever replace my 11 year old Honda's
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If you want the best in every functional category, get a Honda. They have proven longevity, reliability, and a fuel pump, that the clones don't have. That's why every generator is compared to them. They also actually put out the power they claim to, unlike the clones.

Champions do seem like they are better than most clones, and when the ones my friends own last more than three seasons, I might consider them if I ever replace my 11 year old Honda's
12 years on my original Champion and not just "seasons" but years. With the TT it's the A/C and charging batteries. In Fall, Winter it's power outages at the house where it runs the Furnace (blower motor, it's a gas furnace) lights, and entertainment systems.

Whenever needed my Son borrows it for his business when his construction sites don't have power for him. I even use it around the yard when I'm too lazy to pull out the 150' extension cord to run my electric weed eater. It's on wheels and easy to move. Keeps it exercised too.

Not poking at Honda's as they are unquestionably good units. For those without "Honda bucks", I certainly would recommend considering a Champion.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
12 years on my original Champion and not just "seasons" but years. With the TT it's the A/C and charging batteries. In Fall, Winter it's power outages at the house where it runs the Furnace (blower motor, it's a gas furnace) lights, and entertainment systems.

Whenever needed my Son borrows it for his business when his construction sites don't have power for him. I even use it around the yard when I'm too lazy to pull out the 150' extension cord to run my electric weed eater. It's on wheels and easy to move. Keeps it exercised too.

Not poking at Honda's as they are unquestionably good units. For those without "Honda bucks", I certainly would recommend considering a Champion.
Is this an open frame generator or an inverter type? The Honda that is so popular is an inverter.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #16

We got 2 Predator 2000 watt inverters with a parallel chord for less than a Honda 2000w. I can carry it, the main reason for the small units. We boondocked for 3 days and it worked flawlessly. Time will tell...
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #17

I started with Harbor Freight's 2000W Predator ($429) with intentions of adding a Micro-air Easy Start to my FR-RW 2440WS 5th wheel. Really liked the Predator 2000W but couldn't find reliable local installation for the Micro-Air. Since; Harbor Freight was great in exchanging the 2000W for a 3500W Predator super quiet inverter ($220 additional) for considerably less than what a Micro-Air was going to cost ($300 plus inst). At 100 lbs the 3500 is not as easy to load and unload as the 2000 at 47 lbs so I've had the local Amish canvas shop make a waterproof travel cover ($25) for the 3500 and carry it in an Alum cargo carrier mounted to the rear bumper of my RV - works great and powers everything including my 15K AC. There are lots of options as for brands, size and set up but this one seems to work very well for me however if I'd not wanted the AC available I would've stayed with the Predator 2000W inverter due to cost and weight. Hope this helps and good luck.
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasch View Post
At 100 lbs the 3500 is not as easy to load and unload as the 2000 at 47 lbs
Being a "1943 model myself" I understand how difficult lifting 100# can be.
I found that if I lift my 100# Inverter in two stages it works pretty good.

I first lift with both handles and set the unit on an old milk bottle crate.
This raises it enough that I can squat and then grasp the Generator/Inverter by the bottom edge and lift using pretty much only my legs. My truck is a 4X4 which makes the tailgate a little higher but it's not "lifted".

If I don't have to I don't unload, just run on tailgate with rear section of folding hard bed cover folded open.

I may invest in a hitch mounted "crane" from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight if a few more birthdays make it so I can't lift the unit anymore. Less expensive than a Generator Box that I'd have to reinforce the rear bumper on my TT in order to mount.. "Crane" is around $175 and last time I looked the Generator Boxes started about $100 more, not counting work to reinforce the rear bumper.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
A couple years ago I bought (2) WEN 56200i 2000W which have exact clones of Yamaha engines for $375 each plus $40 30A parallel cable. They are quiet & run over 8 hours on a tank (1 gal?) of gas. I need both to power my 13.5 A/C, electric skillet, or DW's hair dryer but power one down when I don't need it.

The best thing about (2) smaller units is that I can carry one in each hand and load one-at-a-time into the PU truck without help. At home I routinely carry one to the back trees to cut down dead branches with an electric pole chainsaw and/or Sawsall vs. heavier gas chainsaw. Even after sitting all winter they both start on first/second pull which is better than any other small engine I currently own...

I like quality, but didn't get the Honda's because I don't want to be out $2000 if someone steals them...

Just picked up 2 myself. Will let you know my experience once I have one!
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator