Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Dometic fridge RM8501 bad power box?

Fridge not working on 120v.

Absolutely everything else works in my RPOD, AND the fridge works on LP and 12v, but not on 120v. The serviceman can not diagnose this power box on back of fridge because it is sealed ( filled with resin) new design with no fuses.. there is live 120v going into said box, and 120v heating element tests good.. Control panel on front of fridge tests that it is talking with power box but 120v into back power box will not switch power out to 120v element.. I think a high electrical spike is what shut the box down. Is there any reset procedure or would Dometic know if it is salvageable? I cant get linked to Dometic in any way. The box is 1/2 the cost of the total fridge, so I hesitate.
thx, john

Dometic part no. 2890189422
Dometic Refrigerator Electronic Power Control Box Kit -
Brand: Dometic
Model: RM5801
gypsypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. How old is your frig? Have you talked to your dealer? I had good luck calling the number in the manual for help with my lights. When you say linked to dometic do you mean via computer?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Fridge

Just over 2 yrs old. Just out of warranty. Seams dealer can't test box, just replace since it is completely sealed, no fuses and no exposed electronics. Replacement box Thu dealer is $604+, and about $450 thru generic dealers which makes deal cost prohibitive since dealer will charge also $1000 to diagnose and replace parts and that is almost price of new fridge. If I replace box and then if front control circuit board needs replaced, that would be almost New fridge price. The new design of the power box is a big moneymaker for Dometic since it is sealed (box poured full of epoxy resin) and board can't be tested except by replacing.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

I could not find this model when I Googled for it.

But there is rarely a reason to run any RV refrigerator in 120vAC if LP is available. LP is the most efficient and can run the refrigerator for weeks on a single cylinder of propane.

If you want the 120vAC capability a new unit would be my choice since my rule of replacement is when a repair costs 50% or more of a new unit -- and you can probably find a new unit for much less than the dealer wants.

For 500 bucks, though, I'd certain try to live with LP-only for at least a season.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsypup View Post
Just over 2 yrs old. Just out of warranty. Seams dealer can't test box, just replace since it is completely sealed, no fuses and no exposed electronics. Replacement box Thu dealer is $604+, and about $450 thru generic dealers which makes deal cost prohibitive since dealer will charge also $1000 to diagnose and replace parts and that is almost price of new fridge. If I replace box and then if front control circuit board needs replaced, that would be almost New fridge price. The new design of the power box is a big moneymaker for Dometic since it is sealed (box poured full of epoxy resin) and board can't be tested except by replacing.
I'm kind of confused are you John b Smith? the questions were asked of the original poster and you seem to be giving the reply?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. How old is your frig? Have you talked to your dealer? I had good luck calling the number in the manual for help with my lights. When you say linked to dometic do you mean via computer?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john b smith View Post
Fridge not working on 120v.

Absolutely everything else works in my RPOD, AND the fridge works on LP and 12v, but not on 120v. The serviceman can not diagnose this power box on back of fridge because it is sealed ( filled with resin) new design with no fuses.. there is live 120v going into said box, and 120v heating element tests good.. Control panel on front of fridge tests that it is talking with power box but 120v into back power box will not switch power out to 120v element.. I think a high electrical spike is what shut the box down. Is there any reset procedure or would Dometic know if it is salvageable? I cant get linked to Dometic in any way. The box is 1/2 the cost of the total fridge, so I hesitate.
thx, john

Dometic part no. 2890189422
Dometic Refrigerator Electronic Power Control Box Kit -
Brand: Dometic
Model: RM5801
Control box # 2890189422
Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #8

Dometic fridge RM8501
power control box - Dometic part # 2890189422
Old 10-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #9

oh, I see, john b smith and gypsypup is one in the same, do not know how that happened.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsypup View Post
oh, I see, john b smith and gypsypup is one in the same, do not know how that happened.

You obviously registered the John Smith account yesterday. I am going to merge it back to your original gypsypup member account, as it is against the guidelines to have multiple registrations.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

Ok, thank you.

Tags
dometic, fridge, power