Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
For RPOD Owners

Hey y'all, my husband and I have been looking at RV's for at least a year and a half. We have never owned an RV so it's quite a daunting task in the search, hoping you make the right decision. The RPODS have caught our eye, being cute and affordable and seem to have everything you need, just smaller. Our tow vehicle is an old Suburban, 1995, so we like that the RPODS are so light. We're thinking that it might make a good starter RV. And if we need more room, we can upgrade on down the road.

I was wondering if anyone knows of potential problems with RPODS, or the manufacturer, or how dealers fix the RPODS ( do they do a good job...I know that probably depends on the dealership)? I haven't been able to pick up much searching on the internet, and someone suggested joining this forum. So Here I am, and happy to be here. I want to make sure that our eyes are wide opened as we are looking at these units. We like the ones with the dry baths, so those 3 units will be on our radar. We will want to do some cooler weather camping I think, as really hot days may not be too fun with 4 dogs who don't like the heat that much. With all that being said, thank you anyone for any of your RPOD advice!
__________________

Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 827
You came to the right place, this forum has loads of excellent info all about that popular little trailer. A good friend of mine has one, it's just him and his DW and they have great long weekends with it. His wife, as well as mine, have the same hard line on no wet bath. I guess it conflicts with feminine sensibilities. Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of a toilet in the shower myself, I guess they have a point. My Mini Lite bathroom is tight, but it has a separate toilet, shower, and even a little vanity sink. Happy wife...you know the rest.
Search the forum for anything R-Pod related any you'll be bound to find something useful. Whatever you decide to buy, hope you have fun with it and be sure to submit pictures of your trips. There's a huge thread dedicated to dog pictures so be sure to include those.
Speaking of dogs, I hope they are small. Four German Shepherds in an R-Pod and you'll be sleeping in the Suburban!
__________________

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 592
We do not have an RPod, but our camping buddies do. It's just the two of them and they are tiny people. They did have the RP-176, but they like showering in their own trailer, so they purchased a RP-180 last January.

They have had a few problems with it, but I always expect a few problems with a new RV. The awning would not extend fully - fixed by dealer. They had a leak in the roof (brand new RV) in the bathroom with water running down the walls - again, fixed by dealer.

I would be more concerned with my dealership than the manufacturer. A good dealer will support you and deal effectively with the manufacturer. Our dealer had our RV back for service twice and it was never there for more than 12 days. I've seen problems that were less involved than ours that have been in the shop for 3-4 months at a time. There is NO EXCUSE for that other than the dealer is sorry and could care less.

So, I guess what I am saying is to pick your dealership and then figure out what type of RV you want.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
19/189
Mine has been back for these issues (#) or I have repaired them myself (@)


#Switches, two switches shorted due to improper wiring.
#Switch base plates straight and all wires safely and correctly installed
#Overhead bathroom vent functions properly, motor fried. Replaced entire vent assembly
#Water heater inop, replaced with new water heater
#Slide out dead motor, replaced motor twice
#Leaks at rear of trailer at tail light assembly
#Thermostat operation, works intermittently, new thermostat
#Have them leak check outside compartment doors. Mine leak every time it rains. All seals replaced. One is still leaking.


@All Screws in hinges, over sized holes and multiple holes
@Insure all panels on slide out are secure and properly attached, panels keep falling off. I added additional screws.
@Drawer slides for proper straight installation
@Window seals for excessive shrinkage and separation.
@Take a close look at all water connections. Especially commode and under sink connections. Multiple Leaks, joints keep vibrating loose.


Good Luck if you buy a new Rpod. Hopefully quality control has been improved in the last 6 months.
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Right Half of OR
Posts: 276
We have a 2015 RP179 (wet bath) wife loves rear kitchen, room for two small dogs and me (6'4" 245) on the couch out of her way. Because it's not what you are looking for, just a few observations. The dealer - not what they say but their reputation - makes all the difference. Take your time and drive a ways if you need to for a good one you like. Not sure where you live, so can't say what's reasonable. We've had 27' and 30' travel trailers with slide outs before this, and like this best for shorter trips (a week) and boondocking. Think it would get a little tight on longer trips. The A/C keeps it cool; I use a portable heater in colder weather. Wife likes the storage space and I can get by with it and the Tacoma's pickup bed. I think it would be a good starter unit for just two of you, and as said above size of dogs really does matter, being budget conscientious. We put a stabilizer attachment on our hitch to help with the single axle configuration, but its not critical if you live where slower speeds are the norm.
Enjoy RVing. It's a great way to spend some 'free' time with generally good folks.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
We have a 2015 RP179 (wet bath) wife loves rear kitchen, room for two small dogs and me (6'4" 245) on the couch out of her way. Because it's not what you are looking for, just a few observations. The dealer - not what they say but their reputation - makes all the difference. Take your time and drive a ways if you need to for a good one you like. Not sure where you live, so can't say what's reasonable. We've had 27' and 30' travel trailers with slide outs before this, and like this best for shorter trips (a week) and boondocking. Think it would get a little tight on longer trips. The A/C keeps it cool; I use a portable heater in colder weather. Wife likes the storage space and I can get by with it and the Tacoma's pickup bed. I think it would be a good starter unit for just two of you, and as said above size of dogs really does matter, being budget conscientious. We put a stabilizer attachment on our hitch to help with the single axle configuration, but its not critical if you live where slower speeds are the norm.
Enjoy RVing. It's a great way to spend some 'free' time with generally good folks.
I like that rear kitchen too! I wish the rear kitchen and the big bath came together! But then it wouldn't be an RPod probably
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awchief View Post
19/189
Mine has been back for these issues (#) or I have repaired them myself (@)


#Switches, two switches shorted due to improper wiring.
#Switch base plates straight and all wires safely and correctly installed
#Overhead bathroom vent functions properly, motor fried. Replaced entire vent assembly
#Water heater inop, replaced with new water heater
#Slide out dead motor, replaced motor twice
#Leaks at rear of trailer at tail light assembly
#Thermostat operation, works intermittently, new thermostat
#Have them leak check outside compartment doors. Mine leak every time it rains. All seals replaced. One is still leaking.

@All Screws in hinges, over sized holes and multiple holes
@Insure all panels on slide out are secure and properly attached, panels keep falling off. I added additional screws.
@Drawer slides for proper straight installation
@Window seals for excessive shrinkage and separation.
@Take a close look at all water connections. Especially commode and under sink connections. Multiple Leaks, joints keep vibrating loose.


Good Luck if you buy a new Rpod. Hopefully quality control has been improved in the last 6 months.
thank you for your input....that all sounds very daunting!
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
You came to the right place, this forum has loads of excellent info all about that popular little trailer. A good friend of mine has one, it's just him and his DW and they have great long weekends with it. His wife, as well as mine, have the same hard line on no wet bath. I guess it conflicts with feminine sensibilities. Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of a toilet in the shower myself, I guess they have a point. My Mini Lite bathroom is tight, but it has a separate toilet, shower, and even a little vanity sink. Happy wife...you know the rest.
Search the forum for anything R-Pod related any you'll be bound to find something useful. Whatever you decide to buy, hope you have fun with it and be sure to submit pictures of your trips. There's a huge thread dedicated to dog pictures so be sure to include those.
Speaking of dogs, I hope they are small. Four German Shepherds in an R-Pod and you'll be sleeping in the Suburban!
Haha, yes we have 4 small dogs....the biggest one is under 20 lbs, and the rest are closer to 10. But it would still be tight I think.
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We do not have an RPod, but our camping buddies do. It's just the two of them and they are tiny people. They did have the RP-176, but they like showering in their own trailer, so they purchased a RP-180 last January.

They have had a few problems with it, but I always expect a few problems with a new RV. The awning would not extend fully - fixed by dealer. They had a leak in the roof (brand new RV) in the bathroom with water running down the walls - again, fixed by dealer.

I would be more concerned with my dealership than the manufacturer. A good dealer will support you and deal effectively with the manufacturer. Our dealer had our RV back for service twice and it was never there for more than 12 days. I've seen problems that were less involved than ours that have been in the shop for 3-4 months at a time. There is NO EXCUSE for that other than the dealer is sorry and could care less.

So, I guess what I am saying is to pick your dealership and then figure out what type of RV you want.
Amen to that! I've been doing google reviews to see what people say about the dealerships I've been looking at. But you know, there seem to be always someone who feels like they got the shaft on those reviews. It's hard to overlook that even if they still get 4 stars.
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 592
There is always someone that will complain and give a bad review if the dealership won't come to their house and hook their camper to their tow vehicle or come to their campsite to help them fill their water tank. You need to go through the reviews and cull the ones that are just ridiculous and then look at what is left.

This should give you a good indication of how well they take care of you after the sell.

It will take some work, but it is definitely worth the work, especially if you aren't very handy at fixing little things.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
There is always someone that will complain and give a bad review if the dealership won't come to their house and hook their camper to their tow vehicle or come to their campsite to help them fill their water tank. You need to go through the reviews and cull the ones that are just ridiculous and then look at what is left.

This should give you a good indication of how well they take care of you after the sell.

It will take some work, but it is definitely worth the work, especially if you aren't very handy at fixing little things.
True, this is why I take online reviews with a grain of salt. Another problem is there is no real way to separate the honest reviews from the planted ones. It's no secret that companies will sometimes post fake positive reviews of their own operation while at the same time make up bad reviews for their competitors. As always...caveat emptor.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,645
We have two campers. The first is a Pop-up A-Frame that I use for myself when I go to various destinations for motorcycle riding.





The other is the larger one with full bath facilities that The Queen demands.



We traveled a total of 15 weeks this year. It's a great adventure.


I see a lot of RPODS at campgrounds, and folks seem to be pleased with them. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
There is always someone that will complain and give a bad review if the dealership won't come to their house and hook their camper to their tow vehicle or come to their campsite to help them fill their water tank. You need to go through the reviews and cull the ones that are just ridiculous and then look at what is left.

This should give you a good indication of how well they take care of you after the sell.

It will take some work, but it is definitely worth the work, especially if you aren't very handy at fixing little things.
I'm not really that handy, but my husband is handy-er. I have found an RV TECH in our area too for when non-warranty work is needed and we can't fix something. I guess that is comforting at least to know we have a mobile RV tech for back up! I look forward to getting out there and finding out sooner than later what camping/glamping is like though.
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 276
My neighbor has a R-Pod and it seems like it would be good for a weeks camping trip. His has a small shower. (I remember that from helping him winterize it.)

Since we go for months at a time, it is too small for us. Since you are new to camping, I would suggest looking for a used one. Your suburban can tow a larger trailer if you want more room. I started out towing a used 17' toyhauler with a GMC Envoy before we upgraded to a larger trailer.
__________________
Catalina 333RETS
Keystone Outback 23RS
Silverado 2500HD
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
My neighbor has a R-Pod and it seems like it would be good for a weeks camping trip. His has a small shower. (I remember that from helping him winterize it.)

Since we go for months at a time, it is too small for us. Since you are new to camping, I would suggest looking for a used one. Your suburban can tow a larger trailer if you want more room. I started out towing a used 17' toyhauler with a GMC Envoy before we upgraded to a larger trailer.
Good advice. You might want to take a look the Mini/Micro Lite models. Still small enough tow comfortably and fit in the average suburban driveway, but those few extra cubic feet inside make a big difference. Your puppies will especially appreciate it, our German Shedder immediately claimed the dinette bed as his space. Mine has the Murphy bed which really opens things up.
Something to think about...
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awchief View Post
19/189


@Take a close look at all water connections. Especially commode and under sink connections. Multiple Leaks, joints keep vibrating loose. .

Just a note regarding the above ........... most / all water and drain connections in most / all trailers are plastic to plastic. I make a habit of hand checking these connections on a regular basis. As they are plastic, you can’t “crank them down tight with pliers or a wrench”. Towing / rough roads etc seem to work these a little loose. Not necessarily just an iPod issue.
Whatever you decide,
__________________
Dave
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins. SRW
2014 Columbus F320 RS. 5th
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
Just a note regarding the above ........... most / all water and drain connections in most / all trailers are plastic to plastic. I make a habit of hand checking these connections on a regular basis. As they are plastic, you can’t “crank them down tight with pliers or a wrench”. Towing / rough roads etc seem to work these a little loose. Not necessarily just an iPod issue.
Whatever you decide,
That's great advice, thanks so much!
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greenbrier, TN
Posts: 107
I have a 2015 178, and it has performed well. That is not to say I haven't had to fix issues. That comes with RV ownership. I have owned trailers, motor homes and teardrops, all without a warranty and all requiring maintenance. It helps to be handy. If buying new it helps to have a supportive dealer. We travel with an eighty pound English Bulldog and he's content. If you are expecting trouble free RV ownership you have set your expectations to high, they are not like a vehicle, and the problems are of a different sort than with a vehicle. Of the three RPod forums I subscribe to, I have never seen an issue not discussed or resolved from fellow owners. The support system is admirable, and they are happy to help. In my decades of RVing I don't keep a list of what I fixed, I keep a list of the great times I had camping and where Too much pleasure to give up for a little hard work.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
True, this is why I take online reviews with a grain of salt. Another problem is there is no real way to separate the honest reviews from the planted ones. It's no secret that companies will sometimes post fake positive reviews of their own operation while at the same time make up bad reviews for their competitors. As always...caveat emptor.
I guess I hadn't thought of some reviews being fake. Bummer.
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
We have two campers. The first is a Pop-up A-Frame that I use for myself when I go to various destinations for motorcycle riding.





The other is the larger one with full bath facilities that The Queen demands.



We traveled a total of 15 weeks this year. It's a great adventure.


I see a lot of RPODS at campgrounds, and folks seem to be pleased with them. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Thanks for your "two cents" , I think it's funny you have his and hers RV's. Jokingly, my husband and i sort of said we need to do that so we both get what we want!
__________________

Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


×