Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

hot water heater bypass valve

I attached a picture of my '17 179.
I’m confused on the bypass valve for the how water heater.
Picture show the bypass valve for the hot and cold side but isn’t the small piece of tube between the hot and cold lines supposed to have one. Without one wouldn’t the hot and cold waters just mix?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r-pod water heater.jpg
Views:	2480
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	133758  
adilburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks like you have a setup with two valves. Check out this thread, it may help.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilburak View Post
Picture show the bypass valve for the hot and cold side but isn’t the small piece of tube between the hot and cold lines supposed to have one. Without one wouldn’t the hot and cold waters just mix?

Thank you
You have the two valve system. See post #2 in this thread for how it operates:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1341683

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have a two valve set-up.
The valve on the cold water line (white) is a three way valve. (yes confusing because it really only directs water two ways) When the valve is in the position shown in the photo, it allows water into the water heater and shuts off the bypass pipe. When it is turned so the handle is parallel to the bypass pipe, it shuts off the flow into the water heater and allows flow to the bypass pipe.

The upper valve on the red line is simply a shut-off valve. It keeps any water from back flowing into the water heater when the lower valve is in bypass.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
but isn’t the small piece of tube between the hot and cold lines supposed to have one. Without one wouldn’t the hot and cold waters just mix?

Thank you
As explained in the link that both John and I posted, the cold water inlet line and crossover line share what is called a 3-way valve. This valve connects 3 lines, but only two at any time can be connected, as one will always be closed off.

When you have the valve open to the water heater, then it at the same time closes off the crossover line.

When you turn the valve to open the crossover line, the it at the same time closes off the inlet line to the water heater.

So you won't have water going into the water heater inlet and the crossover line ever at the same time, it's one or the other utilizing the 3-way valve.

--------------------------------------

Now, you have the second 2-way valve on the hot water outlet line. You keep it open to allow hot water out of the tank and into the hot water line....when you also have the bottom inlet line open going into the tank.

During winterization, You will close it though when turn that 3-way valve at the bottom, which then closes off water going into the tank, but is now opening the crossover line to allow antifreeze to be placed into the cold and hot water line.

By closing off the hot water outlet valve, this keeps the tank from backfilling with the anti-freeze that is now coming into the hot water line via the cold water crossover line.

Clear as mud?

Hey no fair 5picker, I had to take a phone call and you beat me to the punch. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As explained in the link that both John and I posted, the cold water inlet line and crossover line share what is called a 3-way valve. This valve connects 3 lines, but only two at any time can be connected, as one will always be closed off.

When you have the valve open to the water heater, then it at the same time closes off the crossover line.

When you turn the valve to open the crossover line, the it at the same time closes off the inlet line to the water heater.

So you won't have water going into the water heater inlet and the crossover line ever at the same time, it's one or the other utilizing the 3-way valve.

--------------------------------------

Now, you have the second 2-way valve on the hot water outlet line. You keep it open to allow hot water out of the tank and into the hot water line....when you also have the bottom inlet line open going into the tank.

During winterization, You will close it though when turn that 3-way valve at the bottom, which then closes off water going into the tank, but is now opening the crossover line to allow antifreeze to be placed into the cold and hot water line.

By closing off the hot water outlet valve, this keeps the tank from backfilling with the anti-freeze that is now coming into the hot water line via the cold water crossover line.

Clear as mud?

Hey no fair 5picker, I had to take a phone call and you beat me to the punch. LOL
I knew you'd be along with the explanation!
You always do a good job!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:

Thank you
There are at least 5 methods of doing the water heater valves. See the upper right in the attached plumbing diagram. This diagram covers probably 90% of all RVs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (194.9 KB, 466 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

So glad you posted this trouble shooting mine on why no hot water. By the way where is and how did you access it (have a 2017 rPOD 179 too).

Thanks!
SqueakyToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyToy View Post
So glad you posted this trouble shooting mine on why no hot water. By the way where is and how did you access it (have a 2017 rPOD 179 too).

Thanks!
Not sure to whom you are directing this question.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water heater, water, heater, bypass, valve