Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 10
Light Truck Tires on R-Pod

Has anyone replaced the trailer tires with light truck tires? I just watched a YouTube video suggesting this option and stating that Airstream and some other high end trailer manufacturers are providing this as an option on their new trailers.
__________________

KenSchmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,128
Lots of threads on this. Yes, you can run LT tires on a trailer. A lot of folks do, and some new rigs come with them. Just make sure the LT has same or better load rating.
__________________

__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSchmitz View Post
Has anyone replaced the trailer tires with light truck tires? I just watched a YouTube video suggesting this option and stating that Airstream and some other high end trailer manufacturers are providing this as an option on their new trailers.
The video you just watched was probably by Long Long Honeymoon. He had Goodyear Marathon tires on his Airstream. The Marathons have a poor reputation and at the time he switched to LT tires there weren't a lot of options for good ST tires. That has changed and there are at least 3 models in your size with a good reputation on the market now: Maxxis M8008, Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD.

NMWildcat is correct about using LT tires. Can you get LT tires in your size?

Whatever you use, make sure you use tires with a load rating that gives you at least a 20% safety margin. If your R-Pod came with load range C tires, consider going to load range D.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSchmitz View Post
Has anyone replaced the trailer tires with light truck tires? I just watched a YouTube video suggesting this option and stating that Airstream and some other high end trailer manufacturers are providing this as an option on their new trailers.
You'll not be able to match the load capacity of your Original Equipment tires with any 15" LT tires. Therefore, the only LT options would be 16", requiring new wheels. They may not fit into your wheelwell.

Because of the newness of your trailer it came equipped with tires providing well over the RVIA Recommended reserve load capacity. If they are LRC you have the option to increase the load capacity substantially with LRD, LRE or LRF, all in the same designated size ST225/75R15. There are a lot of brand names to select from, China or USA.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 892
Your biggest issue will be the wheel's rim width. Most LT/Passenger tires need at least a 6" rim width for you to get into the proper load range.
Airstream was at one time putting Michelin tires on some of their TT's. The ones they did install them on had 6"+ rims with 6-5'5 rim patterns.
If you're looking for an off road style tire then BFG KO2's would work but again you'll need to jump up to a 6" rim width.
Also I believe that RV trailer rims have a 0' offset.

Upon further searching I found these that would work.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...AT51&tab=Sizes
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Lots of threads on this. Yes, you can run LT tires on a trailer. A lot of folks do, and some new rigs come with them. Just make sure the LT has same or better load rating.
Agreed. The OP needs to watch the load carrying capacity of the LT tires, not just that they're the same load rating letter. LT tires have lower carrying capacity than the equivalent load range ST tires.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Upon further searching I found these that would work.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...AT51&tab=Sizes
The problem with that tire is it does not provide the load capacity the OE tires provide and the OE tires are already under RV trailer industry reserve load capacity resommendations.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The problem with that tire is it does not provide the load capacity the OE tires provide and the OE tires are already under RV trailer industry reserve load capacity resommendations.
What is the reserve load capacity recommendation?
The OP's GVWR is around 3800 lbs.
Minus the tongue wight of say 400 lbs the OP only has 3400 lbs on the tires.
The Khumo's have 4190 lbs of load capacity.
Thats a 790 lbs cushion.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 504
LT

The trick is if you can get 14" in the same weight rating in a LT as you can an ST. I was able to find "D" rated 225/14" in GY Endurance ST, did not find in LT.
Tundra 2014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,933
As I said in Post #3, "Whatever you use, make sure you use tires with a load rating that gives you at least a 20% safety margin."
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
As I said in Post #3, "Whatever you use, make sure you use tires with a load rating that gives you at least a 20% safety margin."
20% ?
Where do you come up with that?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #12
ARLO
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: N Chili, NY
Posts: 741
My suggestion would be American made goodyear endurance.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
What is the reserve load capacity recommendation?
The OP's GVWR is around 3800 lbs.
Minus the tongue wight of say 400 lbs the OP only has 3400 lbs on the tires.
The Khumo's have 4190 lbs of load capacity.
Thats a 790 lbs cushion.
According to the specs I found, the trailer has a single vehicle certified 3500# axle. And the OEM tires provided 2150# ea.. In accordance with tire industry standards, replacement tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

The 2150# was set with the OEM tire fitments and they then become the minimum standard for that trailer.

Getting down close to the bone with RV trailer tires isn't the wisest thing to do. That's why the RVIA organization has recommended the 10% load capacity reserve for all of their members, about 98% of all RV trailers sold in todays' market.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
20% ?
Where do you come up with that?
RVIA’s recommendation is to have a “10% reserve capacity” over the axle rating. I doubled it. That’s my preference because we hear more stories about tire failure than axle failure.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
RVIA’s recommendation is to have a “10% reserve capacity” over the axle rating. I doubled it. That’s my preference because we hear more stories about tire failure than axle failure.
Oh Ok. Makes sense.
In that case a set of these would cover it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLV2&tab=Specs
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Oh Ok. Makes sense.
In that case a set of these would cover it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLV2&tab=Specs
That's a passenger tire made in Vietnam that MUST be derated to a maximum load capacity of 2064# for service on trailer axles.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Right Half of OR
Posts: 191
My last two R-pods came with LT tires on them. Call your dealer and find out which tires came on the Hood River editions.
__________________
Greg 'n Deb
2020 R-POD 195 HRE
Tacoma and Tundra TV's
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
My last two R-pods came with LT tires on them. Call your dealer and find out which tires came on the Hood River editions.
Original Equipment designated tire size is displayed on the vehicle certification label.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Right Half of OR
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Original Equipment designated tire size is displayed on the vehicle certification label.
If my TT was close, I could probably check that, or I could have just gone out and copied the info off the tire. BUT since it isn't, and I thought the OP would like a resource, I mentioned what I could specifically about R-pods. Perhaps you have more to contribute?
__________________
Greg 'n Deb
2020 R-POD 195 HRE
Tacoma and Tundra TV's
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,342
Originally Posted by Airdale

Original Equipment designated tire size is displayed on the vehicle certification label.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
If my TT was close, I could probably check that, or I could have just gone out and copied the info off the tire. BUT since it isn't, and I thought the OP would like a resource, I mentioned what I could specifically about R-pods. Perhaps you have more to contribute?
My message was not a rebuke of any sort, just usable information.
__________________

__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, r-pod, tire, tires, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


×